And the special word today is 'Koch' - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: And the special word today is 'Koch'

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by straightgrain View Post
    I hate to point out the obvious. But if HK says that it is pronounced "coke"... Then that is the end of it.
    If you don't speak German, then "coke" is a compromise, which could be seen as ironic.

Listen to the 5 second mark.

...and yes I know the video is snarky lefty propaganda. Willkommen in Deutschland!
    Life is an endless series of trainwrecks with only brief commercial-like breaks of happiness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKPRO View Post
    Rhymes with Coughhhhh but you don't use the F sound in Cough. As if you were pronouncing it as it is typed, third word in this sentence. :) = German pronounciation.

Coke is right for English. And Koch is my mother's maiden name.
    This is correct. The German pronunciation definitely isn’t “coke,” but it’s a lot easier to say coke for English speakers.

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKPRO View Post
    Rhymes with Coughhhhh but you don't use the F sound in Cough. As if you were pronouncing it as it is typed, third word in this sentence. :) = German pronounciation.

Coke is right for English. And Koch is my mother's maiden name.
    Or find your local Scottish person and ask them to tell you about "Loch" Ness.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post
    If you don't speak German, then "coke" is a compromise, which could be seen as ironic.

Listen to the 5 second mark.

...and yes I know the video is snarky lefty propaganda. Willkommen in Deutschland!
    Check out the 1:58 mark too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The pronunciation in the video would be the correct German pronunciation. (In Germany or with family). I can tell you that I’m school “cock” was the preferred pronunciation by friends and even now sometimes when my kids get new teachers they will use that pronunciation by mistake. My kids just roll their eyes at this point.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Koch is a German name, there's only one correct way to pronounce it: The German way. You don't pronounce names differently just because you speak a different language. John is always pronounced John. Just because the French pronounce a "j" like the English pronounce "sh" no French guy would pronounce it Shohn. That's just retarded FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJaw02iPbqo
    soviet64 likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwissCollector View Post
    Koch is a German name, there's only one correct way to pronounce it: The German way. You don't pronounce names differently just because you speak a different language. John is always pronounced John. Just because the French pronounce a "j" like the English pronounce "sh" no French guy would pronounce it Shohn. That's just retarded FFS.

How awkward for Mr. Big Coke...
    illicit likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    How awkward for Mr. Big Coke...
    Yeah.......

I don't know how many times I accidentally wrote Heckler & Kock when I filled in weapons licenses but it happened.

There are better ways to make fun of Germans.....

And the special word today is 'Koch'-1556123037128.jpg

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

To be fair, that's not really correct.

Ask a German to say the name Jonathan for example: Yoh Nah Tahn

The first time my wife said the word Colgate (Kohl Gaah Tuh), as in the tooth paste, I had no idea what the hell she was trying to tell me.

"Coke" is the English way to pronounce the name, that is correct. That said, it isn't that hard to learn it the German way.

Maximum Effort!
    Last edited by Clausewitz; 05-23-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Hate to point this out, but in MEXICO, JOHN is JUAN. SAME NAME, different language/country. But that is just my learning along the Texas Mexico border.

Just sayin

Having said that, if you are not talking about a person but a place, perhaps you could use el bano? IE "THE JOHN" as in I need to go to "THE JOHN"?
    Last edited by wallew; 05-23-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links