And the special word today is 'Koch' - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: And the special word today is 'Koch'

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

OP got banned for trying to scam us on a MK23 sale...
    Support “The Collected Wisdom of Jim Schatz “G3Kurz”
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    Hate to point this out, but in MEXICO, JOHN is JUAN. SAME NAME, different language/country. But that is just my learning along the Texas Mexico border.

Just sayin

Having said that, if you are not talking about a person but a place, perhaps you could use el bano? IE "THE JOHN" as in I need to go to "THE JOHN"?
    So do Mexicans say Juan Lennon or John Lennon?
    Brad4065 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Of course it's correct. Jonathan is the English spelling of that name so it's correct to pronounce it like an English speaker would. In German it's spelled Jonatan and you don't pronounce it as if it was an English name.

People managed to switch from Peking to Bejing because that's (more or less) how it's pronounced in Mandarin so one can expect Anglos to manage to pronounce Koch correctly. Or do you pronounce Seattle Seh att leh in German because that's how it would be pronounced in German if you were completely ignorant to how it's actually pronounced?

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Actually that's a great question. I would 'imagine' it depends on which country he's in when the person who is speaking his name is in also?
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wallew View Post
    Hate to point this out, but in MEXICO, JOHN is JUAN. SAME NAME, different language/country. But that is just my learning along the Texas Mexico border.

Just sayin

Having said that, if you are not talking about a person but a place, perhaps you could use el bano? IE "THE JOHN" as in I need to go to "THE JOHN"?
    That's something completely different. Juan is the same name in a different language, not a different pronunciation. But since a "j* in Spanish is pronounced very similar to a "ch" in German and Spanish is basically the second official language in the US it should be easier for Americans to pronounce Koch correctly.

Just taking the p but

And the special word today is 'Koch'-ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwissCollector View Post
    Of course it's correct. Jonathan is the English spelling of that name so it's correct to pronounce it like an English speaker would. In German it's spelled Jonatan and you don't pronounce it as if it was an English name.

People managed to switch from Peking to Bejing because that's (more or less) how it's pronounced in Mandarin so one can expect Anglos to manage to pronounce Koch correctly. Or do you pronounce Seattle Seh att leh in German because that's how it would be pronounced in German if you were completely ignorant to how it's actually pronounced?
    Granted, I only know one, my brother in law's son, so my sample size might be too small, but his name is spelled Jonathan. They don't pronounce it any other way than "Yoh Nah Tahn".
    Life is an endless series of trainwrecks with only brief commercial-like breaks of happiness.

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

I won't get started on Schwizerdütsch...
    CGuns1 likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post
    Granted, I only know one, my brother in law's son, so my sample size might be too small, but his name is spelled Jonathan. They don't pronounce it any other way than "Yoh Nah Tahn".
    Fair enough, some Germans pronounce China "Schina"......what can I say......

Funny side story since we're talking about Germany.
    Today on the ICE back from Holland the German conductor freaked out because a guy in 1st class wasn't wearing his mask and refused to put it on. Sure enough they called the Bahnpolizei and the guy was arrested at the next stop. There were three people in the 1st class compartment btw.

Maximum effort
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwissCollector View Post
    Fair enough, some Germans pronounce China "Schina"......what can I say......

Funny side story since we're talking about Germany.
    Today on the ICE back from Holland the German conductor freaked out because a guy in 1st class wasn't wearing his mask and refused to put it on. Sure enough they called the Bahnpolizei and the guy was arrested at the next stop. There were three people in the 1st class compartment btw.
    Jawohl! Ordnung muss sein!

Vertrauen ist gut aber Kontrolle ist besser.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clausewitz View Post
    i won't get started on schwizerdütsch...
    bring it on!

And the special word today is 'Koch'-5a26f8e0b984b.jpeg
    Clausewitz and CGuns1 like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links