HK MK23 Case: Seen one for sale?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HK MK23 Case: Seen one for sale?

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK MK23 Case: Seen one for sale?

I have this aluminum case for a SOCOM, laser, suppressor, and 2 magazines. It's been in my safe for 20 years. Larry, the owner of Capital City Firearms bought some from a military surplus auction (I think it was in Virginia). The story as I remember it is that what these were left from a pallet of about 40. They were sold to him at the auction. I think he ended with about 20 of them. They were not advertised for sale, rather he called each of his HK customers and they were given one chance to buy them. Thankfully my name starts with a "C" so I was near the top of the list. I think this is the first time it's been out of the safe since I received it.

It's kind of odd for several reasons. It is in a canvas bag supposedly to resemble a laptop case in the 90's. The construction is high quality and not an assembly line production. All the corners are welded. There are no markings on it all, not even in the rivets. Supposedly this was so The U.S. had plausible deniability when they showed up in Bosnia.

Any one know anything about this case, own one, seen one for sale or heard of one sold?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/ssWiKA.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/j2w8Qi.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/qI6LBl.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/huwle4.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/PE3619.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/XO1HET.jpg

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

From the Firearms Reference Data:

d) Knouff & Knouff, Inc.- created 1998 (Department of Defense/Department of the Navy contractor)- “Middle Eastern” contract case- 1999 manufacturing/2002 manufacturing(?)(1011 South Garfield Road, Airway Heights, Washington, 99001)- bright stainless with front locking bar and black nylon carry case (no pistol)

- special order cases for some required U.S. Government contract; once delivered, they were determined to be not useable and sold off as surplus equipment
    - Department (Department of Defense)/Funding Department (Department of Defense); Agency (Department of the Navy)/Contracting Office (Naval Surface Warfare Center) Purchase Order (firm fixed priced/simplified acquisition/not competed) of $42,622.00 (Procurement Instrument ID: N0016402M1619), Specialized Metal Container Manufacturing Machinery and Related Equipment, signed on 05-31-02, completion date of 07-19-02
    - @ 200 U.S. importation (Capital City Firearms/Richmond, Virginia)/purchased a pallet of these cases at a U.S. Government surplus auction)
    - attributed to Impact Case & Container (6672 West Bockel Road, Rathdrum, Idaho, 83858/(208) 687-2452

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 05-28-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Guyanaman1963 and Lamont like this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Detective Tony!
    I found a 2007 reference from Heckler&Koch Mark 23 Owner's Guild that agrees with your info on it being a U.S. contract and that they were most likely built by Knouff & Knouff. I have also found your thread from 2016.

It's kind of weird on the production dates. I located my receipt and I purchased it May 24, 2000 from Larry at Capital City Firearms. So at least some were made in 1999 or early 2000. If the Government decided that they were not what they needed, it wouldn't make sense that more were purchased after the ones Larry bought. But this is the Government!.

Still haven't found out how many were actually manufactured and how many ended up in private hands.

Thanks Again for the information,
    Brian

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Quite welcome--- I believed the cases to be designed in 1999, but was not certain if any were actually produced then--- corrected above post!!!
    I was able to find the aforementioned Purchase Order from 2002, which is strange, but the cases could have been determined "useable" (or as filling a specified role) at a later date.

Tony
    Last edited by AGG; 05-28-2020 at 10:00 AM.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Brian,

Quite welcome--- I believed the cases to be designed in 1999, but was not certain if any were actually produced then!!!
    I was able to find the aforementioned Purchase Order from 2002, which is strange, but the cases could have been determined "useable" (or as filling a specified role) at a later date.
    Also, I believe that Larry confirmed the @ 200 that he purchased.

Tony

Premium Professional

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

One sold on ar15 a number of months back. I think it was listed at $600. I have no idea what it sold for.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I have a couple. Paid $500-ish IIRC.
    "We do bad things to bad people".

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tony,
    Gotta love our government. Buy 200 of something that they decide they can't use! Guess they haven't heard about prototyping!
    Brian

Desperately Needs Treatment

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I ahem one of these to!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ironically where I got my case inspiration from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK MK23 Case: Seen one for sale?-8d3af407-17bb-44ee-bfe3-25249e938c74_1593368710500.jpeg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links