Mp5 red dot discussion...again
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Mp5 red dot discussion...again

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Mp5 red dot discussion...again

Bought an SP5 recently. Super stoked. Waiting for form 1 and then my plan is to put an a3 stock on it. Trying to decide on why dot and mount to go with and what mount height I want.

I like the idea of something like a reflex sight (RMR, SRO, deltapoint pro, holosun 507, etc) since it’s got less of a rim and let’s me see more and it’s nice and small and compact. But I haven’t written off something more like the aimpoint micro or holosun/Romeo equivalent.

As far as mount height I know a lot of people prefer true cowitness. Definitely looks the coolest on the gun. But I’m not sure I like all the obstruction. Kind of feels like it kills the purpose of a dot over just using the irons.

Seems like a high mount that gets the dot up above the front sight hood would provide the best situational awareness and make the dot worth it.

For those running an a3 stock what combo do you like for a comfortable cheek weld that feels natural and intuitive. I want something I can shoot quickly with for action sports like USPSA.

Thanks

Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

If you want the dot above the irons, the A3 will be too low for your cheek. That's when I suggest moving to the ACR stock from @rollerlocksevolved .
    rollerlocksevolved likes this.
    Check out HKPRO on Facebook and HKPRO on Instagram: hkpro_official

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

As far as cowitnessing the RDS, the reason I did it with mine, is that is what is more natural for me, looking AT the front site, where the bullet is designed to go and using the RDS to land right on the front site.

At first it seemed like it might be overkill. But then I realized that getting used to the RDS cowitnessing the front sight, if your RDS battery goes out, you are still looking through your optic RIGHT AT THE FRONT SIGHT. And everything you practice with the RDS becomes second nature even when the RDS is down. Just pick your '5' up and look at the front sight and pull the trigger and the rounds go right where you would expect them to go.

Just the reason why I did the cowitness on mine. Been very happy with it so far. It's a Sig Romeo 5 - I am considering the Holosun for my other SP5k and yes I'll cowitness that setup and hopefully it will work the same way as the Sig Romeo 5 does.

Mp5 red dot discussion...again-sp5k-brace-rds-2.jpg
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Hmm well I really want to go with the a3 so maybe I should give the cowitness setup a hard look. Thanks for you guys input.

Shooting both eyes open do you find it’s fast to acquire a target cowitness and you can still see the target well. I suppose the support eye is seeing around the optic and the irons so it probably fills in the rest of the image fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I went through this same process for the same reasone. Co-witness was too crowded for me with a micro sized dot or M series sized Aimpoint. The front sight ring obscures much of your sight picture. I found the best set up FOR ME was my full sized Aimpoint in a Burris Xtreme scope ring that brought the dot about 1/8" above the ring.
    Getting all hunched up with the A3 stock and fishing for the red dot through the micro is not great for speed or when you are moving and shooting.
    A little more ''heads up" position gives you better situational awareness and faster target acquisition with the dot free to roam on it's own.

My opinions of course.
    timewaster1700 likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I have an HK MP5A2 with an aimpoint micro T2 on a BT-10266 rail with spacer.

I have no problem with cheek weld, but I have the A2, not the A3, stock. I love my setup. But everyone is different. If you have a chance to borrow a red dot from someone, try out different possibilities and see what works best for you. It's great to do your research and come up with what seems to be the best option in theory, but you really need to try out different setups and see what actually feels right.
    timewaster1700 likes this.
    If "Dirty Harry" had been made in 1996:
    "I know what you're thinking: 'Did he fire twelve shots or only eleven?' Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a HK MARK 23, the only offensive handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rokchukrslave View Post
    I went through this same process for the same reasone. Co-witness was too crowded for me with a micro sized dot or M series sized Aimpoint. The front sight ring obscures much of your sight picture. I found the best set up FOR ME was my full sized Aimpoint in a Burris Xtreme scope ring that brought the dot about 1/8" above the ring.
    Getting all hunched up with the A3 stock and fishing for the red dot through the micro is not great for speed or when you are moving and shooting.
    A little more ''heads up" position gives you better situational awareness and faster target acquisition with the dot free to roam on it's own.

My opinions of course.
    This is a great point. I don't need to get hunched behind it or necessarily even have a cheek weld with a dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    I have an HK MP5A2 with an aimpoint micro T2 on a BT-10266 rail with spacer.

I have no problem with cheek weld, but I have the A2, not the A3, stock. I love my setup. But everyone is different. If you have a chance to borrow a red dot from someone, try out different possibilities and see what works best for you. It's great to do your research and come up with what seems to be the best option in theory, but you really need to try out different setups and see what actually feels right.
    That looks sweet! Do you just have the top of the front site hood in the bottom of your aimpoint?

Problem I have is I don't know anyone else with an mp5 so not any people around to try different setups with. I'll likely have to try a couple things on my own but would like to save a lot of wasted money and hassle if I can learn from other's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know you said you were looking for more of the reflex style optics. But for a co witness you could go with a romeo 5 and battle steel mount and see if that gets you what you would want. It would cost about $150 and if you didn’t like it you could sell them both and be real close to getting your money back for them

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timewaster1700 View Post
    This is a great point. I don't need to get hunched behind it or necessarily even have a cheek weld with a dot.

That looks sweet! Do you just have the top of the front site hood in the bottom of your aimpoint?

Problem I have is I don't know anyone else with an mp5 so not any people around to try different setups with. I'll likely have to try a couple things on my own but would like to save a lot of wasted money and hassle if I can learn from other's.
    It's been a while since I shot the MP5 because of Covid, so I had to go pull it out of the safe to check. Yes, you do see the top of the sight hood in the bottom of the aimpoint. Some people might find that distracting, but I found that for myself, all I see is the red dot. I didn't even remember that I could see the top of the sight hood because I don't notice it when I shoot.

Priest of the P7
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

All of the stocks that were designed to be on the MP5 (A2. A3) put your eye directly behind the rear sight drum. If you're using an elevated optic and you want any kind of repeatable cheek weld you're going to have to go with a different stock and the ACR stock is really nice (I have two on USC/UMPs).

Replacing the sight drum with a RMR or SRO or less expensive analogue is the way to go if you want to use a HK stock. All the suckaz with Stoner platform PCCs and tall Micros that I smoke at Steel Challenge matches don't think it's too slow ;)
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links