German Government Chooses Haenel’s MK556 over HK416/HK433 -- HK's response
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: German Government Chooses Haenel’s MK556 over HK416/HK433 -- HK's response

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default German Government Chooses Haenel’s MK556 over HK416/HK433 -- HK's response

German army selects Haenel MK 556 assault rifle to replace H&K G36

Original article: https://www.armyrecognition.com/defense_news_september_2020_global_security_army_i ndustry/german_army_selects_haenel_mk_556_assault_rifle_to _replace_hk_g36.html

According to German Zeit online newspaper and other sources, among which The Firearms Blog, the German Ministry of Defense has selected the weapon that will replace the aging Heckler and Koch G36 assault rifle : the Thuringian manufacturer C.G. Haenel has won the contract for the delivery of 120,000 MK556 assault rifles to the Bundeswehr (German army), a contract worth around 245 million euros (over $290 million). The exact configuration of the weapons and the accessories they will be equipped with is still unconfirmed.

The initial report came from the German Press Agency (DPA) and has been widely quoted : after almost six decades with Heckler & Koch, the result of the bidding process is undoubtedly both surprising and disappointing for Heckler & Koch that competed with its HK416 and HK433. In the bidding process initiated in 2017, C.G. Haenel presented a weapon that, in extensive tests, was somewhat better tailored to the requirements of the military and also proved to be economically advantageous. A third bidder — Sig Sauer — had withdrawn from the current tender. C.G. Haenel’s rifle also beat out the RS556, an entry from Rheinmetall and Steyr Mannlicher.
    This tender is a kind of a long saga, with ups and downs in the tender process, for budgetary, political, judicial and technical reasons. And again, the decision of the award is still subject to a possible complaint or judicial review proceedings, The Firearms Blog underlines. C.G.Haenel is already supplying the Bundeswehr with its RS9 sniper rifle (designated the G29 in German service). The company belongs to the Merkel Group, which is part of the Tawazun Holding (United Arab Emirates) that also owns Caracal The MK 556 Gen2 is a short-stroke piston operated AR-based design available in 10.5, 12.5, 14.5 and 16-inch barrel lengths with a STANAG 4694 quad rail or 3 and 9 o’clock keymod mounting points and ambidextrous controls — a 45-degree rather than AR-pattern selector. The MK556 with a 16 inch barrel weighs in at 3.6kg (7.9 lbs).

Heckler & Koch just responded:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2020/09/15/heckler-and-koch-respond-to-bundeswehr-selection-of-haenels-mk556/

Heckler & Koch was informed today that neither of its two offers should be included in the assault rifle tender of the Bundeswehr.

“Subject to an extensive legal review, we regret this decision”, says CEO Jens Bodo Koch. “At the same time, we are absolutely convinced of the quality of both the HK416 and the HK433. This quality has also been confirmed to us by the Bundeswehr in the context of this tender. We don’t have to shy away from competition with our products. ”
    This is also shown by the order books, which are still very well filled. “The number of orders from all over the world is higher than we can currently process and the demand remains high,” continues Koch. “Heckler & Koch is and will remain a profitable company again.”
    For this reason, in the view of the Executive Board, there are no direct consequences for the employees at the Oberndorf location. “After changing the majority shareholder a few weeks ago, we announced that the jobs in Oberndorf were secure. Nothing has changed about that, ”explains CFO Björn Krönert.
    The offer submitted by Heckler & Koch for the Bundeswehr’s new assault rifle was based on the company’s extensive experience with orders of this size, on a realistic and conscientious cost calculation for a high-tech product, and on the company’s responsibility for maintaining 950 jobs at the site Oberndorf. The triad of tradition, know-how and corporate responsibility has resulted in Heckler & Koch products in demand worldwide for more than 70 years.
    For the Bundeswehr tender, Heckler & Koch improved the already technically highly developed HK416 again and verifiably met all tender conditions. This rifle has blossomed into the European assault rifle since its launch. It is used in numerous NATO countries, on the one hand as a standard weapon in Norway, France and in the US Marine Corps, and as an assault rifle among many others in the special forces of the USA, Poland and Great Britain. The Bundeswehr Special Forces Command (KSK) and combat swimmers are currently introducing this weapon as the G95k.
    “We will now examine the decision in detail from a legal perspective and exhaust all legal options,” says CEO Jens Bodo Koch.

What a shame, I was really hoping to see more of the HK433. But with the government fining H&K 4.2M over the Mexico sales, the G36 overheating drama, the price of the HK416 and the constant negative attention the German Government gives to H&K, I'm not surprised. What do you guys think? Will H&K stay afloat with the Norweigian HK416 contracts + the USMC M27 IAR/M38 contracts?

Will Heckler & Koch finally make way of Sig and move over to the states? The only problem I can think of with this is that the German government owns all of HK's patents/designs. Just come cater to the American market already!

Discuss!
    Last edited by Weizen; 09-15-2020 at 10:28 PM.
    HK MR556
    HK
    P30L
    HK P30SK
    HK
    VP9
    HK USP 9 w/ HK UTL
    Zenith/MKE Z5RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

HK had a positive cash flow past quarter they are not doing too bad. Problem with the the military contract was that Haenels bid was significantly cheaper and it had a solid finished product vs something almost finished. Also I commented on this before HK Heschen, Walewski and CDE have to straighten their **** out and make clean table on ownership and financial background. It sure wasn’t helpful for Heschen to get involved in this again...
    Haenel in contrary might not have the more favorable owners structure with the saudis but at least it’s stable and solid and while Haenel 2018 had only 9 employees and made a half Million Euro loss i have more confidence in them pulling this off than HK to deliver the 433 on time in budget...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    _JD_ likes this.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

This was always going to happen. The German government HATES HK.
    Lamont likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post
    Not really... the area HK is from has been a conservative stronghold and they’ve always been very protective. While Suhl in Thueringen is in the only State that is run by the left party that is the legal successor of the East German party SED... either way 2k for a complete rifle is imho very competitive I doubt the 433 would have been any close...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting points. I think that HK vested too much into the HK433 to just let it go. Remember how about 10-15 years ago -- you saw a lot special operations groups using 416's on raids? I'm betting the 433 will fill that new niche in 2020 warfare. It has so many genuinely nifty features that make it great for combat/CQB. It's just that these nifty features come at a large cost and it isn't viable to mass produce for entire armies just yet. I mean, the 416 took nearly a decade to mature long enough to get issued to a nation's army (Norway). I really hope the 433 does the same. It just looks so cool!

HKPro Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My love for HK's engineering and design capabilities is far and above most other companies. Being completely unbiased and objective here, I believe the 433 will have to do what other platforms cannot in order to be successful in the long term. Modularity alone isn't the answer to this. A perfect example is Federal's involvement in the NGCT ammo development, which is running parallel to NGSW. This will eventually make way for commercial offerings to accommodate programs requiring a higher performance envelope. There are other manufacturers involved in this outside of the NGSW spotlight. Small frame weapon designs in large frame calibers with novel barrels, bolts, suppressors, recoil reduction, etc...will be a thing, mark my words. I don't think the 5.56 will ever be truly replaced, but there will be more potent weapon systems to come. If HK hopes to compete with the 433, it needs to be more than just a modular one trick pony.

Tspeis

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaustrophobia View Post
    Vote the bums out!!!

Tony

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Weizen View Post
    I think that HK vested too much into the HK433 to just let it go.
    There is always the U.S. civilian market!!!

Tony
    MasterJP and Lamont like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AGG View Post
    There is always the U.S. civilian market!!!

Tony
    Tony,

there is also 922(r). The gun would need to be manufactured here, which I see as a viable alternative to the very expensive wage level in Germany. Germany also has made firearms export more difficult and HK had successfully sued BAFA for obstructing the export of HK spare parts.
    FFL08 Importer

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Haenel is not a Saudi company, its ultimate owners are the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Haenel is owned by Abu Dhabi-based Caracal International, which in turn is part of the United Arab Emirates state conglomerate EDGE Group. EDGE is a group of about 25 defense companies, everything from small arms to armored vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Lamont likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links