Lauer painted guns on ABC News - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lauer painted guns on ABC News

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    I have a great idea!

You never know when you'll be in a situation where you'll need, but not have, a weapon. That's why I think we should carry PEZ-tols. That's right! PEZ dispensers that actually fire a .22 magnum round when the cartoon character of your choice has his head pushed back.
    Just make sure you register it as an AOW.
    Hidden Content

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    I have an idea, there should be a law that all guns be black, and all wallets and cell phones be painted bright colors, maybe fewer cops and citizens would be shot by mistake?

This has nothing to do with saving the lives of policemen (remember cop killer bullets?), and has everything to do with Bloomberg's anti-gun ego.

How about we compromise and don't paint the real guns bright colors?

Christ, I wouldn't have thought this was that divisive an issue.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

It's not divisive for me, it's nothing but a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Funny. That hasn't happened yet. Why not?

In Dallas, an officer was shot but he did not die. I do not think it is funny.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

How about we do not ASSUME whether a gun is real or not based in its color?

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Personal Responsibility

Nothing I've read has established for me why painting guns colors other than black or dark blue is a bad thing. Again, I go back to personal responsibility, societal rules and "big boy rules" apply to everyone. Anyone who advocates against painting guns is using the same logic that liberal anti-gunners use to ban certain types of weapons b/c they "look evil." The focus of those against allowing freedom to prevail and people to do what they want w/ the color of their guns is the same as the liberal anti-gun nuts: the problem is with the tool. Well, I'm sorry, you're wrong as two boys in a hot tub. The tool is NEVER the problem. Should we ban all cars b/c some fools drink and drive and kill people...lots more people than guns do in a year? Of course not. Why prohibit people from painting guns? Its not the tool or its color that is the problem. Will it avoid a tragedy? Who knows. What I do know is that making more laws that curb freedom is not a good thing. Freedom comes w/ responsibility. Unless you want to empower the nanny state any more than its already being empowered, allow people to paint their guns any color they want. This basic concept of freedom shouldn't be controversial to gun owners in America. If you can tell someone what color his gun should be then there is someone else out there who thinks, using the same set of logic, that they can tell you what kind of guns you can own or even if you should own any guns at all. Its a different side of the same nanny state coin. We need less government and more personal responsibility. Again, lets avoid lowest common denominator rules and instead make people aspire and rise to something higher.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    How about we do not ASSUME whether a gun is real or not based in its color?

You're making my point that guns that look like toys are a bad idea, and did so with the orange barreled gun reference. When you paint a real gun to look like a toy, the police hesitate, since they don't want to shoot someone pointing a toy at them.

You bring up exactly the kind of situation I'm opposed to. (We may have a miscomm here. When you spoke about "exactly how stupid an idea this is", were you referring to the bans on colored guns or the idea of painting them that way?)

When essentially all toy guns were black, cops had to make the assumption that the gun was real and a lot of innocent kids were killed.

As far as the Dallas PD officer: I hadn't meant to be flippant about a real shooting, but your logic leaves me a bit confused. Toy guns have orange barrels, typically. Just so I understand: You indicated you don't want that because bad guys may take advantage of it and shoot cops. I think that's identifying the problem but offering the wrong solution, with all due respect.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SudS View Post
    It's not divisive for me, it's nothing but a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

Actually, it's undoing the solution to a problem that did exist.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Actually, it's undoing the solution to a problem that did exist.
    Instead of all this conjecture and supposition, how about some statistics. How many officers have been shot with a gun they thought was a toy? How many colored guns have been confiscated? And if either of those have actually happened, how many of them were due to Lauer paint vs. Krylon?

My guess this is like the so-called "cop killer" bullets. Clinton put the family of a slain officer up on stage as proof that the legislation was necessary. A terrible situation, yes. The problem was that the officer was killed in a traffic accident, not by a bullet, "cop killer" or otherwise.

This whole issue is exactly like gun control in general - the only people that will abide by it are people that aren't going to use it in a crime. If we could fix the problem with laws, then why don't we just make it illegal to point a gun, toy or otherwise, at an officer? Oh wait, it already is.
    Last edited by AviatorDave; 03-25-2008 at 01:14 AM.

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I tried avoiding chiming in, but couldn't resist any longer.
    Does it really matter how a firearm is painted?

It boils down to responsibility and accountability.

Someone mentioned this earlier. Kids and guns have always been an issue. But as a gun owner, how do you teach your kids about being responsible and the gun owner accountable?

The tragedies of kids getting shot with their parent's guns or being stupid enough to point one at a LEO officer boils down to the parent and not how a gun looks etc. Why was a gun accessible to the child to begin with? Why was the parent not teaching the child basic common sense to not point anything at a cop and let alone to show respect to any authority figure?

Many would rather just blame the ills on everything else. Yeah, I know there are flaws to this and many other arguements, but once again - people blame instead of taking individual responsibilty on this issue. How many will think back to their fathers teaching them how to handle a firearm. I can remember being cuffed on the back of my neck for having my finger in the trigger guard before pointing the gun downrange.

Yes children are curious and bright colors attract them, but once again, were is the responsibility of the gun owner to have that gun locked up and teach a kid basic common sense. Go ahead flame away at this opinion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links