• 1 Post By razzman1
  • 1 Post By CaptRex
  • 1 Post By AGG

Thread: 2019 Rockcastle, KY 5k & 10k biathlon

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default 2019 Rockcastle, KY 5k & 10k biathlon

Just kind of a place holder for this weekend. Derek (bystok) and I are heading up to the Rockcastle shooting facility just outside Bowling Green, KY to compete in a "run-and-gun" biathlon. The match takes place on a mountain, and includes two separate races--a 5k on Saturday and a 10k on Sunday. You can do either, or both (I'm doing both!). You have to carry all your stuff, and your overall score is based on your run time, as well as your time for each two-gun shooting challenge (this is a rifle/pistol match). We both ran it last year, and had a blast. Now that we both have a better idea of what to expect, we have been working on our gear and technique in hopes of crushing everyone this year (or really just to have a good time). I'll try to post some pictures and video after the 5k, but good cell service up there is a little sketchy, so it may have to wait until we get back home.

Here's some video from last year to give you an idea what the match is all about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMHK7saurhA
    Last edited by razzman1; 03-15-2019 at 12:40 AM.

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The video doesn’t do the hill after stage 1 justice!!!! That hill sucks!!!! :)

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bystok View Post
    The video doesn’t do the hill after stage 1 justice!!!! That hill sucks!!!! :)
    Truth...
    bystok likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Good luck fellas!!!

Tony
    bystok likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Wow...watching the low crawl through the wire and then pulling hand over hand on slack line with all the equipment! Hats off to you guys and best of luck this year.
    bystok likes this.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

HOLY COW THAT WAS FUN! And now I hurt everywhere.

I'm sure Derek will come in and add the few pictures he has, and I'll do the same.

So I did the 5k on Saturday, and Derek and I both did the 10k on Sunday. Our plan/hope was that we would draw our random start times (between 8 am and 4 pm) far enough apart that we would be able to film each other on the course, but no such luck--we ended up drawing back-to-back start times. So we didn't get any video, and very few pictures this year.

I ended up drawing a good start time for the 5k--12:40 pm. Which meant I wasn't one of the unlucky SOBs who ended up breaking through ice trudging through the mud pits. The weather was in the low 50s by that time, so it was perfect. I did really well in the 5k until I got to stage 4 "Rifleman's Challenge." After about a 3/4 of a mile run, uphill, from stage 3, the rifleman's challenge is as follows: On the buzzer, two hits on a B/C piece of steel offhand at 100 yards, two hits on a 10" plate from sitting at 200 yards, and two hits on a 10" plate from prone at just over 300 yards (Derek crushed this stage the next day on the 10k, BTW). This is one stage that I can actually practice for, so I was very confidant. A 10" plate at 300 from prone is pretty much a chip shot for me, but, low and behold, I dumped an entire mag at it with no hits. I was pretty bummed out, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit it, but I still had one stage left, so on I went. It wasn't until I finished the run and was taking off my gear that I noticed this:

I don't know if it was combination of running, shooting or rubbing on my gear on my back, but somehow the forward throw lever on my scope mount came loose, which wrecked my accuracy. Closed the lever, and the next day I went one-for-one on the 300 yard plates. Oh well. Lesson learned. Those levers will be safety-wired before the next match.

Despite basically zeroing stage 4, I managed to place 5th in the 5k, which I was pretty happy with.

The next morning, Derek and I drew our random start times, and ended up being back-to-back. This was cool, as we saw each other a number of times while running the course, but we weren't able to get any video, and very few pictures. I was a little surprised to find immediately upon starting, that my legs were muuuuch more tired than I thought they would be from running the 5k the day prior. I figured 20ish hours and a good meal would have been plenty of recovery time, but my legs felt like concrete.

My 10k went very well, and after pretty much zeroing stage 4 the day before, I did really well on the same stage for the 10k (although Derek beat me on it!). Stage 5 for the 10k was shot from a Jon boat out in a little pond. You had to pull yourself out in the middle via a rope strung across the pond, and engage targets out to 220ish yards. Derek and I spent a good deal of time the night before strategizing on a plan for the boat, and I think we both did well on it.

I had no issues at all untill after the last stage of the match, as I was sprinting (well, in my mind I was sprinting) the last half mile to the finish line. My shoulders suddenly felt about 8 pounds lighter, and then I heard the unmistakable sound of my rifle smacking the pavement. The forward loop of my VTac sling had come un-threaded. I quickly scooped it up off the ground and finished the match, but here's the carnage I found once I had a minute to look at it:

My Razor took the full brunt of a 3 foot fall onto pavement (of course it couldn't have happened when I was running on the grass 20 feet earlier). I'm going to take it to the range and see how far off my zero is. If it is on, or at least pretty close, I will be impressed--it hit hard.

Right after you cross the finish line, you are given the option of climbing a rope. Get to the top, ring the cow bell, and get 10 minutes subtracted from your time.

In the end, Derek and I started right next to each other, and finished right next to each other--7th and 8th overall! It was a great weekend shooting with my friend. And now I hurt everywhere.

A few more pictures:

Barbed wire crawl from stage 1

All done with the 5k

I don't know how Derek isn't as muddy as me...

Cow bell rung!
    Last edited by razzman1; 03-18-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    CaptRex likes this.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Congratulations to you both and thank you for sharing!
    bystok likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Congratulations fellas--- thanks for the pics!!!

Tony
    bystok likes this.

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

What is a 10k Run & Gun Like???? This video by a fellow competitor will give you a good idea. Could you survive?

Sponsored Links