The G36 900 rounds with Beta C drums!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The G36 900 rounds with Beta C drums!!!

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Hahahahahahhahahahaha that is awesome. That is a handy video to have the next time someone gets on about them melting in the sun.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oicani View Post
    Now what I really want to see is a similar test on the HK416. Since they have a similar gas system, it would be awesome to see how many rounds could be fired before failure is reached.
    Sorry, but I just don't see the point from a collector's point of veiw. For a military use, I get it. To me this goes back to the DI (direct impingement) verses the long/short stroke piston systems debate. Yes you can pound drum after drum though a piston carbine. But what does that do to the barrel? Get the barrel hot enough then slowly air cool and the barrel steel becomes annealed. So the barrel steel becomes softer. Yes a piston carbine would have an advantage in a firefight verses a DI gun. As a collector, I have no intention to ever have to be in a firefight, let alone a firefight with unlimited ammo to where having a piston driven carbine would give me an advantage. I've seen a Post Sample AK get bolted down and have drum after drum run through it until the wooden hand guard caught fire, and they kept putting drums in it. Like draining the oil out of an engine and then running it until it stops. What would that do, other than ruin the engine? To save my barrels and still be able to "pound rounds", I put a 1.5 gallon water jacket on a 20" heavy fluted barrel. Search "500 rd burst" and see it burn through 500 rounds in a minute. The water in the jacket got warm, but it didn't abuse the barrel. I have 8,500 rounds through that upper and I see no throat erosion. I haven't gotten around to putting a water jacket on a roller lock, but I will eventually. YMMV.

Scott

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I didn't think the beta 100 round drums for the G36 allowed for the bolt hold open to work, so the comment in that video on the BHO didn't make sense to me. I'd appreciate any clarification on this.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't see the point from a collector's point of veiw. For a military use, I get it. To me this goes back to the DI (direct impingement) verses the long/short stroke piston systems debate. Yes you can pound drum after drum though a piston carbine. But what does that do to the barrel? Get the barrel hot enough then slowly air cool and the barrel steel becomes annealed. So the barrel steel becomes softer. Yes a piston carbine would have an advantage in a firefight verses a DI gun. As a collector, I have no intention to ever have to be in a firefight, let alone a firefight with unlimited ammo to where having a piston driven carbine would give me an advantage. I've seen a Post Sample AK get bolted down and have drum after drum run through it until the wooden hand guard caught fire, and they kept putting drums in it. Like draining the oil out of an engine and then running it until it stops. What would that do, other than ruin the engine? To save my barrels and still be able to "pound rounds", I put a 1.5 gallon water jacket on a 20" heavy fluted barrel. Search "500 rd burst" and see it burn through 500 rounds in a minute. The water in the jacket got warm, but it didn't abuse the barrel. I have 8,500 rounds through that upper and I see no throat erosion. I haven't gotten around to putting a water jacket on a roller lock, but I will eventually. YMMV.

Scott
    This test was a fire to destruction test, and they are just that. It's good to know how far you can push something, even if you intend to operate it normally.

Destructive testing isn't anything too unusual. It pushes a product to it's limit and beyond.

Many of us are not only collectors, we use these weapons for defensive purposes, professionally or otherwise.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Well put sweersa!!!
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

I read a stat that said, in my area, over 95% of 4x4 vehicles never leave the pavement. Even if you never leave the road, wouldn't you want that truck tested off road and pushed to it's max capabilities?

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    I didn't think the beta 100 round drums for the G36 allowed for the bolt hold open to work, so the comment in that video on the BHO didn't make sense to me. I'd appreciate any clarification on this.

This test was a fire to destruction test, and they are just that. It's good to know how far you can push something, even if you intend to operate it normally.

Destructive testing isn't anything too unusual. It pushes a product to it's limit and beyond.

Many of us are not only collectors, we use these weapons for defensive purposes, professionally or otherwise.
    Wow. Where did this oldie but goodie come from? Rare find Oicani.

This test was done not as a "shoot to destruction" test (it would have easily passed it if it had) but to disprove the lies of competitors and some within US and German govt circles that AR's built around polymer receivers could not withstand worse case scenarios. Why 900 rounds? Nice round number maybe? Robert probably wanted to go for a even 1000 knowing him :) This is one of the only times you will see him wearing shooting glasses. Those around him were the brain trust at HK GmbH at that time. Brought you all the finest suite of HK weapons in the history of the company. Helmut Weldle - lead G36 designer - is missing in the video or more likely calmly watching from the back of the range. A true genius.

Would/should anyone ever push an AR to this point? Probably not wise BUT it speaks to the durability of the barrels HK's makes. And it is good to know it is there if needed (the infamous Wanat firefight comes to mind where 9 US paras died and 27 were injured because their M4's and M249's shut down due to high sustained rates of fire used to repel an overrun of their positions). I have seen such tests many times and did a few cyclic 1000 rounds belt pulls (1 trigger pull and done) with the HK21E and NEVER saw any issue with the barrels afterwards - used the same barrel for many years in fact. No one makes barrels like HK. No one. They once did a MiniGun barrel. It ran 2-3X longer than the standard barrels and still was within spec. Or the MG4 that fired 102K round in the desert during testing on a single barrel. Or the 10" HK416 barrels that shoot sub-MOA at 100meters after 12000 rounds! Or the standard production HK416/M27 IAR test samples that beat open-bolt and heavy barrel and heat sink barrel designs from FN, Colt and others in the sustained fire testing. Or, or, or.....

G3Kurz

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    Wow. Where did this oldie but goodie come from? Rare find Oicani.

This test was done not as a "shoot to destruction" test (it would have easily passed it if it had) but to disprove the lies of competitors and some within US and German govt circles that AR's built around polymer receivers could not withstand worse case scenarios. Why 900 rounds? Nice round number maybe? Robert probably wanted to go for a even 1000 knowing him :) [...]
    Hirt's very first sentence: "Schussfolge bis zur Zerstörung" is very clear about the intention to destroy the weapon. He fired 900 rounds because someone yelled at him loud enough to toss the rifle.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

But what about the zero shift? ;)

What I'm most impressed about is that 9 Beta C mags fed without a hitch!

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

No idea this was that rare and thanks for confirming it's rare nature G3Kurz. As well as the additional knowledge about how durable HK barrels are.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    No one makes barrels like HK. No one.

G3Kurz
    This is exactly why I decided a few years ago to start converting my HK collection into using only factory original unaltered barrels, even for the G3k, 33k, MP5k PDW, SD, and the 53.

All the clone barrels promote themselves to be, just as good as, or better than HK barrels because they are cold hammer forged. Meh.
    Last edited by SudS; 10-02-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links