The G36 900 rounds with Beta C drums!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The G36 900 rounds with Beta C drums!!!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    Wow. Where did this oldie but goodie come from? Rare find Oicani.

This test was done not as a "shoot to destruction" test (it would have easily passed it if it had) but to disprove the lies of competitors and some within US and German govt circles that AR's built around polymer receivers could not withstand worse case scenarios. Why 900 rounds? Nice round number maybe? Robert probably wanted to go for a even 1000 knowing him :) This is one of the only times you will see him wearing shooting glasses. Those around him were the brain trust at HK GmbH at that time. Brought you all the finest suite of HK weapons in the history of the company. Helmut Weldle - lead G36 designer - is missing in the video or more likely calmly watching from the back of the range. A true genius.

Would/should anyone ever push an AR to this point? Probably not wise BUT it speaks to the durability of the barrels HK's makes. And it is good to know it is there if needed (the infamous Wanat firefight comes to mind where 9 US paras died and 27 were injured because their M4's and M249's shut down due to high sustained rates of fire used to repel an overrun of their positions). I have seen such tests many times and did a few cyclic 1000 rounds belt pulls (1 trigger pull and done) with the HK21E and NEVER saw any issue with the barrels afterwards - used the same barrel for many years in fact. No one makes barrels like HK. No one. They once did a MiniGun barrel. It ran 2-3X longer than the standard barrels and still was within spec. Or the MG4 that fired 102K round in the desert during testing on a single barrel. Or the 10" HK416 barrels that shoot sub-MOA at 100meters after 12000 rounds! Or the standard production HK416/M27 IAR test samples that beat open-bolt and heavy barrel and heat sink barrel designs from FN, Colt and others in the sustained fire testing. Or, or, or.....

G3Kurz
    Thanks for the clarification on the purpose on that video, and wow, HK certainly does make the best barrels! Those round counts are very impressive. Makes me feel better about only having one spare barrel for each of my SL8-1s/conversions.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dwillHK View Post
    But what about the zero shift? ;)

What I'm most impressed about is that 9 Beta C mags fed without a hitch!
    Exactly. Beta mags aren't known for running well. Odds of finding 9 that would run perfectly are about the same as making it to space in a Datsun with a jet engine attached.
    Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least
    capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded
    with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Speedballing....that's slamming Benadryl right? Source: SudS aka Kevin

HK...The most addictive drug known to man.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I know drum magazines are inherently less reliable than box magazines, but I never heard of any issues with G36 beta magazines.

Also, sort of answering my question from a previous post in this thread-- it looks like the operator of the G36 is manually engaging the bolt hold open before inserting a fresh drum.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz View Post
    ... No one makes barrels like HK. No one. They once did a MiniGun barrel. It ran 2-3X longer than the standard barrels and still was within spec. Or the MG4 that fired 102K round in the desert during testing on a single barrel. Or the 10" HK416 barrels that shoot sub-MOA at 100meters after 12000 rounds! Or the standard production HK416/M27 IAR test samples that beat open-bolt and heavy barrel and heat sink barrel designs from FN, Colt and others in the sustained fire testing. Or, or, or.....

G3Kurz
    And that is what I find so frustrating. I, as a common citizen, can not buy any of those items from HK. It is cool that they can produce such items, but I find it so frustrating that the only way I can buy these items is "used" at three or four times the retail price. It is my understanding that 10 years ago, the agency price for a 416 was $1,700. Yes, I get that an Agency doesn't have to pay 11% FET. Yet a pristine 416 parts set would have a market value of like $5,000-$6,000. I understand that German law prevents HK from selling me the parts set because the bolt and barrel are the regulated parts in Germany. And the Firearms Protection Act prevents me from buying a full auto 416.

So if they make such great steel barrels, why don't they import the barrel blanks and complete the barrels here in the US? A quality AR barrel here in the US is in the $250-$300 range for CHF chrome lined. I'd pay $300-$400 for a 416 barrel. I would think that would be profitable. But I refuse to pay almost 10X that for a "used" 416 barrel in a parts set. I would buy a MR556 if it had a 416 profiled chrome lined barrel. But to buy a plain steel barreled MR556, have the barrel reprofiled, and nitrided for addition wear protection (as I can't have the barrel chrome lined) just puts puts the HK beyond my "value for the money" limit. It is great that HK can produce such a great product. But if I can't buy that product at a reasonable market value, I just find it all a big "tease". YMMV.

Scott

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottinthegrove View Post
    And that is what I find so frustrating. I, as a common citizen, can not buy any of those items from HK. It is cool that they can produce such items, but I find it so frustrating that the only way I can buy these items is "used" at three or four times the retail price. It is my understanding that 10 years ago, the agency price for a 416 was $1,700. Yes, I get that an Agency doesn't have to pay 11% FET. Yet a pristine 416 parts set would have a market value of like $5,000-$6,000. I understand that German law prevents HK from selling me the parts set because the bolt and barrel are the regulated parts in Germany. And the Firearms Protection Act prevents me from buying a full auto 416.

So if they make such great steel barrels, why don't they import the barrel blanks and complete the barrels here in the US? A quality AR barrel here in the US is in the $250-$300 range for CHF chrome lined. I'd pay $300-$400 for a 416 barrel. I would think that would be profitable. But I refuse to pay almost 10X that for a "used" 416 barrel in a parts set. I would buy a MR556 if it had a 416 profiled chrome lined barrel. But to buy a plain steel barreled MR556, have the barrel reprofiled, and nitrided for addition wear protection (as I can't have the barrel chrome lined) just puts puts the HK beyond my "value for the money" limit. It is great that HK can produce such a great product. But if I can't buy that product at a reasonable market value, I just find it all a big "tease". YMMV.

Scott
    It's a good question.
    First - HK has sent in Oberndorf-made CHF'd barrel blanks (for the MR series rifles) which were finished by Daniel Defense before install in the MR's.

Also - HK had shipped 2 of the latest hammering machines to the US @ 2005 for the HK Columbus GA factory that never happened. They sat in storage in VA until later being sold off.
    I don't recall who purchased them. I expect relatively soon this will occur again so you may get what you desire in the future.

There is far more o making an genuine HK GmbH-style CHF barrel than just the material and machine. It is know-how and a few trade secrets such as spot induction hardening, laser straightening, tapered bores, etc. AND having men making these barrels that have generations in doing so back to the days when Mauser barrel barrels were hammered with a big Flintstone-style hammering machine (big rock on a stick powered by a wheel in the Neckar River - true story. The Mauser plant is still in the Neckar River valley and that "machine" is in the Oberndorf Waffen Museum nearby).

Beta Mag Reliability - HK worked with The Beta Company to improve the 100-rd dual drum mag when the German Army asked for one. The key difference in the G36 Beta drum versus models for other AR's like the M16/M4 is that HK optimized/purpose-built a reliable magazine for the G36. The G36 Beta mag got a reliable feed chute attached to it which avoid many of the reliability issues with the M16/M4 drums assembled with already compromised (reliability challenged) M16/M4 magazine feed chutes.

G3Kurz

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

These guys... Wealth of information... Thanks!

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

What impressed me most about that video was the consistency of the ejection up until things really started getting hot. Even then it was more consistent than some rifles I've shot. But But But what about the plastic trunion?
    NRA Life Member

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

I'm glad everyone in this HK community is enjoying the video.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Really cool. Thanks for sharing!!

Requiescat in Pace
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    What impressed me most about that video was the consistency of the ejection up until things really started getting hot. Even then it was more consistent than some rifles I've shot. But But But what about the plastic trunion?
    What about it and there is no plastic trunion in a G36. There is a machined metal insert molded into the polymer receiver that the barrel is screwed into and the bolt locks to.
    A standard M4 Carbine launches projectiles on the side of the barrel in a test like this.
    G3Kurz

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links