Need some advice for a buddy on the MR556 lettering paint

Thread: Need some advice for a buddy on the MR556 lettering paint

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Default Need some advice for a buddy on the MR556 lettering paint

I have a buddy that is looking to get into an MR556...two of the local shops that have them in stock both have issues with the white lettering on the upper.
    He says it appears that the some of the paint is missing where it says Columbus GA. He also mentioned the manual states not to use any type of solvent on the outside. T/F?....is the lettering that delicate that you have to avoid contact with solvent?

I know nothing about what type of paint HK used or if this normal, his thinking (mine too) is that someone may have taken them out for a test drive, wiped them down and are still offering them as new.

I did some searching and couldn't come up with anything about this topic so if anyone has thoughts on this I'll pass it on.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've owned five MR556's and bought all of them new from reputable dealers. All but one had the same issue with the lettering on the upper.. (looks like its fading)
    I've wondered the same thing about the solvent, but I think they left the factory that way..
    I dont have the answer as to "why" this is, hopefully someone does...
    -C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know what HK uses but I've used paint sticks successfully with other guns. They're cheap, they come in a lot of colors, they're easy to apply, or re-apply if your solvent removed the paint, and they're available at any art supply store.

rambo

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

It is laser engraved. No paint on the upper. What you are seeing is normal for laser engraving.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    It is laser engraved. No paint on the upper. What you are seeing is normal for laser engraving.
    Thanks for the replies all.

NoSco I think you nailed it, I hate to say I've never looked at one of these up close but I did find a pretty good photo that shows exactly what your referring to. After enlarging the engraved area it's very evident.

Had I known this prior to posting I see that the raw aluminum from the laser engraving would soak up any oil and cause discoloration.

I've passed the info along and he feels better about it now and has plans on following up with the purchase.

Last edited by 21HK; 02-11-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Sponsored Links