HKPRO Forums banner

HK416 bolt broke at 25k round count,acceptable lifespan?

32K views 120 replies 46 participants last post by  dms16 
#1 · (Edited)
I think HK only guarantee 15k rounds service life for HK416 . How do you guys see that result? :p

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, I follow Costa on Instagram as well. I think a lot of Chris but there have been many instances here recently where I question his opinions and knowledge. I mean who can complain about a bolt ONLY lasting 25,000 rounds? And what serious firearms instructor uses and advocates the use of Frog Lube? He's still on that bandwagon.

#7 · (Edited)
Its a salesman, similar like that other guy from tactical response. One is a random coast guard guy, other one a former contractor, they have their opinions that are aimed at making money off the consumer. Considering the round count at tier1 units, if there was a generic issue with 416 reliability, that would not make it into those ranks. And we know what they run on their missions, and what they ran on their #1 mission in decades.

#8 ·
I like Chris Costa, I think he innovates and teaches people to shoot better.

That said, I think people have a very foggy understanding of how much stress the bolt is under and what to expect out of a rifle. Most commercial rifles have a 10K round warranty on the barrel. Most people worrying about the bolt fit into the "I'll never own an HK rifle" and "I've got maybe 1,000-2,000 rounds through my rifle."

Like most of the comments, 25K is nothing to sneeze at. Honestly, I'd be looking to replace the bolt around 15K if I ever made it that close. Another thing to consider is, most of us do it sure, but most people don't keep track of the rounds they put through their guns. Which turn into interesting claims and youtube videos by a few. Honestly, 25K through a rifle is a lot, especially one with a fun switch. Just saying.

#9 ·
Some other points:

- What is the basis for Costa's "critiques" on HK's in a technical sense?

- What's the over/under for a parts replacement on a Salient or Warsport (Costa's signature guns)? Can they boast 1/10th of that lifespan despite HK-level prices?

#11 ·
I always have considered bolts to be expendable items. Isn't that why they sell so cheaply on average for an AR and the reason that they come out so easy for replacement and cleaning? The average AR bolt is less than $50 delivered to the door. I realize with HKs the price is higher, but that is not reason to cry about it. All HK parts are higher price on average. To me it is like whining about a blow out on an expensive radial. It happens... get over it.

#14 ·
All man-made things fail eventually. I don't have 25,000 rounds through any of my guns yet, but if a bolt broke at that count, I'd pop the spare bolt I have on hand and run it another 25,000 rounds. I wonder how the CHF barrel is holding up at that round count. I bet she has some life in her yet.

Keep spare parts for your critical firearms on hand.

#16 ·
Spoiler alert: Be on the lookout for GROM doing the scorpion clamp in the 416 end user thread.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Costa hater...he's made a hell of a career despite having little to work with; but I think it's safe to say he's out of his lane on this one.

#30 ·
His complaint is that prior bolts have lasted longer

"Normally they hold up much longer so I'm surprised. Also the guns are getting slightly dirty and choking which is not normal for HK. Had one bolt carrier break a cotter pin which was a bazaar part to break"

"They are still good platforms but my old one ran more rounds then this before I had any problems. Maybe things have changed. Maintenance must be done sooner now it seems."

#34 ·
So I looked it up since this thread got so much attention, and I wonder, from across the pond, why does this guy get so much attention in the USA?
I saw him shoot (and supposedly teach) people shoot AR15 on Youtube. I would certainly not book this guy for any type of training after seeing his videos, except maybe if I had a "tactical hipster" buddy and wanted to prank him.
It is very clear that Mr Costa is rather..... tiny in physical stature, but boy he handles a flimsy AR15 like something that needs tension and muscle, absolutely hilarious.

I am suprised that this guy gets that much awareness considering that USA has people like Vickers, Hackathorn or McNamara, people with actual pedigree who teach a superior and robust skillset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.