Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: US SOF HK416 Variants: Photo, Discussion, and Cloning Thread

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    Not my first rodeo either.
    You can't put SBR information on shotgun barrels either, but again, do whatever you want.
    I'm sure you mean SBS information... but you can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

All of these engraving ideas sound like good options, but I thought I'd design the SBR engraving to match the custom font of the HK MR556 lower and generally mimic the five lines of text on the magwell of HK416s. Someone will have to look to notice that the lines of text aren't a match to the text on 416s - and if it's done right - the fonts will at least match up, so the SBR info will look like it it's where it should be.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Default US SOF HK416 Variants: Photo, Discussion, and Cloning Thread

Engage Armament, Rockville, MD. It took 20minutes for both. I waited while it was being done. They are a great shop. You'll be shipping to them as i know you aren't in the Free State/Old Line State. They will turn around quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 05-21-2016 at 02:14 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marine0303 View Post
    You cannot engrave on the barrel, if the barrel can be relatively easily removed, which these barrels can be.
    But don't trust me, your best advice on NFA-related questions is to go to the source and speak with a representative at the NFA Branch: (304) 616-4500
    "Readily obliterated, altered, or removed" refers to the "manner" of marking, not location.
    Someday this war's gonna end...
    - LTC Kilgore

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

It would seem a cool thread topic has been hijacked by an NFA engraving discussion/argument. Can we get it back on track; I think it would be pretty cool to pursue the OP's original idea. So how about it Veterans and all others with the knowledge and pics; let's see the different configurations our SOF boys/girls use???
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 05-21-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    It would seem a cool thread topic has been hijacked by an NFA engraving discussion/argument. Can we get it back on track; I think it would be pretty cool to pursue the OP's original idea. So how about it Veterans and all others with the knowledge and pics; let's see the different configurations our SOF boys/girls use???
    ^ The NFA engraving thing is a little side-tracked at this point. I'm really interested in what's been popping up recently: do you guys have any insight into the US SMUs using 416 uppers on M4A1 lowers? Which units are doing it? Is the point just for commonality of parts and magazines?
    Last edited by CloneDiseased; 05-22-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the 416 was originally thought of to be a drop in replacement for the fleet of M4 lowers we got, obviously HK offered their designed lower as well as a complete rifle. Cant speak to why they do it one way or another, possibly money or magazine(though AFAIK majority still uses STANAG so moot point).

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloneDiseased View Post
    ^ The NFA engraving thing is a little side-tracked at this point. I'm really interested in what's been popping up recently: do you guys have any insight into the US SMUs using 416 uppers on M4A1 lowers? Which units are doing it? Is the point just for commonality of parts and magazines?

The reason someone would go with a standard non-hk lower would be the use of a larger aftermarket magwell(Aredondo or the like) or the 10.4/11 is issued as a secondary with your kit with a primary DMR or accurarised upper being the match to your larger upper. Everything in any SMU is mission driven and the capabilities you're looking to meet. Other times it's what's available and you're running station or other OGA gear so you pull an upper. Really anything can be possible. Personal preference can come into play but required capabilities come first. Same goes for guys who run MRDS on their sidearms, it's a preference but it gives you additional capabilities (keep IR on and transition without having to give up your position). The improvement train is always moving and new gear is tested and phased in and out as needed so if gear X requires a standard magwell or widget configuration then it's swapped to accommodate it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^ thanks for the info hamster. Good stuff!
    Last edited by CloneDiseased; 05-23-2016 at 10:13 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

I remember (not very clearly) info from like 10 years ago about some US unit (battalion size I think) that was stationed OCONUS, that ordered (tried to order?) lot of HK416 uppers as "repair" or "overhaul" kits for their M4. I do not remember how this worked out however.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links