Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: HK 416 10.4" Suppressed Question

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default HK 416 10.4" Suppressed Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Would you happen to have the dimensions of the HK 416 10.4" barrel gas vent port for vented gas block or know where I could find it?
    He said he had it in his notes but didn't know off top of his head. I haven't call him back because I'm not attempting to redrill my 416 hardened steel barrels due to potential chaffing.

That's why when they came out with it HK would only place them on new barrels that they could freshly drill the barrel port. If agencies/forces requested them be retro fit to existing service weapons they would replace the entire barrel assembly.

I was going to buy a third 416 barrel to attempt the redrill but got hit by some high taxes this year and the seller was gracious enough to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 04-28-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Would there be any concern with drilling out the MR556 .055" vent to .063"/1.6mm, which is the factory correct 416 10.4" vent dimension?
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

"When the people fear the govt there is tyranny, when the govt fears the people there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson
    GOA Life Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I contacted Jayson at IGF about any possible modification that may have to be made to the barrels gas port to use the 416 vented gas block and was told no need for any modification. Now, with the 416 vented gas block on the cut down 10.4" barrel and a AAC SR5 I wonder if I would need to change out the factory buffer and spring? Anyone running something like this?
    I ran the AAC SR5 on a non vented cut down MR556. I had to run a heavy buffer 10 oz A5 buffer and a wolf XP rifle spring when running suppressed using 5.56mm ammo. The SR5 is extremely over gassed on a MR556. YMMV. Since you are using the vented block, maybe you won't need as heavy of a buffer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Would there be any concern with drilling out the MR556 .055" vent to .063"/1.6mm, which is the factory correct 416 10.4" vent dimension?
    As with a the 416 barrel, it is hardened steel which can seriously chafe when boring out the existing hole.

CORRECTION - I should have said - Cold Hammer Forged Steel.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 05-01-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
    I have the same setup. 10oz A5 buffer and tube with Wolff spring. 10.4 factory non-vented gas block.
    I run an 8.5oz XH buffer from HeavyBuffers, and the Wolff XP spring. Surefire SOCOM 556-RC. 10.4" factory non-vented block. Zero issues.

[Insert Witty Comment Here]

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sadly the armorer from HK does not have the specs for the 14.5" non vented gas block.
    There is no 14.5" non vented gas block.

I think Augee's post #59 is confusing as you have it backwards. 1.6mm is the port, not the vent. In addition, the .055" dimension is small as I measure larger with pin gauges.

Hk spec on the vented 10.4" 416 is 1.6mm barrel port and 1mm block vent.
    The Mr556 measures 1.5mm on the barrel port and the block vent, same as the 14.5" 416.
    The updated Norwegian AGR has a 1.6mm valve port and 1mm block vent, same as the vented 10.4", as well as a 1.4mm suppressed valve port.

I've been using the stock gas block with cut down Mr556 barrels, 10.4 and 11.5, which are otherwise stock (no port mods) suppressed and unsuppressed with various spring and buffer combos for years. That said, they're still overgassed suppressed, so I'm going to try the AGR.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

FYI, I shoot my HK416 10.4" suppressed most if not all the time.

One solution for me was to have the heavier buffer, swap out the spring, etc.

The issue is that the HK416 10.4" is over-gassed with the suppressor so I felt that the heavier buffer, spring, etc. wasn't solving the root cause of the problem (which HK's solution evolved from vented gas block to currently adjustable gas block).

Anyhows, my solution then was to go with a 14.5" vented gas block. The diameter of the vent was clearly too large (I measured the 14.5" vs. 10.4" in another thread), but it worked when the suppressor was attached. Not an ideal solution because the HK416 10.4" would NOT cycle reliably when the suppressor wasn't attached.

So I was thinking of switching to the heavier buffer solution. After all, better a upper run harder than not run at all.

Thankfully, the vented gas blocks specific to the 10.4" are now available.

Granted the barrel diameter may be smaller than what is ideal, but I suspect it will work. Anybody installed the new 10.4" vented gas block on the older AG, AH, AI, etc. HK416 10.4" and shot it with the suppressor and without the suppressor?

Ejection pattern?
    Reliability of the upper to cycle especially without a suppressor?

I have the new 10.4" vented gas blocks sitting in my man cave, but have not had the time to swap them out.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post

Granted the barrel diameter may be smaller than what is ideal, but I suspect it will work. Anybody installed the new 10.4" vented gas block on the older AG, AH, AI, etc. HK416 10.4" and shot it with the suppressor and without the suppressor?

Ejection pattern?

I have the new 10.4" vented gas blocks sitting in my man cave, but have not had the time to swap them out.
    I have a new vented gas block too but haven't installed it either. Was hoping, like you, to hear from who had installed one and used it:)
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NFATCA Member

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post

One solution for me was to have the heavier buffer, swap out the spring, etc.

The issue is that the HK416 10.4" is over-gassed with the suppressor so I felt that the heavier buffer, spring, etc. wasn't solving the root cause of the problem (which HK's solution evolved from vented gas block to currently adjustable gas block).

Anyhows, my solution then was to go with a 14.5" vented gas block. The diameter of the vent was clearly too large (I measured the 14.5" vs. 10.4" in another thread), but it worked when the suppressor was attached. Not an ideal solution because the HK416 10.4" would NOT cycle reliably when the suppressor wasn't attached.

So I was thinking of switching to the heavier buffer solution. After all, better a upper run harder than not run at all.

Ejection pattern?

Am I correct that the 416 10.4" upper you have and said was over gassed with a suppressor is a non vented gas block?

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Am I correct that the 416 10.4" upper you have and said was over gassed with a suppressor is a non vented gas block?
    Yes. Check out some of the other threads.

IIRC, folks documented the ejection pattern. I noticed it was overgassed as well, which is why I switched to the 14.5" vented gas block

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Sponsored Links