Remarking MR556 lower to 416C, looking for options - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Remarking MR556 lower to 416C, looking for options

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Copper View Post
    So, what markings on MR556 lowers have to stay unchanged to remain ATF legal? Can you change everything except the serial number, or do you have to leave the model number as well?
    My understanding.....you cannot remove the serial number. Period. Everything else is just dressing, as the serial is what ATF utilizes. Removing a serial is a felony.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    My understanding.....you cannot remove the serial number. Period. Everything else is just dressing, as the serial is what ATF utilizes. Removing a serial is a felony.
    True, but I believe you can cerakote over a serial number as long as it shows through and is still legible.

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    @Oicani

They look great, anodized or cerakoted?
    I'm not sure, but who's anodizing the burnt bronze (RAL 8000) color into receivers? I didn't think there was anyone who does this.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oicani View Post
    I'm not sure, but who's anodizing the burnt bronze (RAL 8000) color into receivers? I didn't think there was anyone who does this.
    Its been done, I dont like the dimension change though after stripping the black, and adding clear hard you can end up with .001"-.002" less material. Holes get bigger, bosses get smaller.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

@Oicani , as NoScoE30 said, it's been done that's why I was asking. And I don't know who does it as those who've done it are tight lipped about the anodizer. Another reason I asked. I thought you'd found that holy grail;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    @Oicani , as NoScoE30 said, it's been done that's why I was asking. And I don't know who does it as those who've done it are tight lipped about the anodizer. Another reason I asked. I thought you'd found that holy grail;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The anodizer is a low volume hobby type guy. Probably doesnt want to deal with doing too many.

If you call industrial anodize shops in your area, that hold an ffl and say you need 7075 aluminum that is type iii class ii anodized stripped, and re anodized type iii class i .0015"-.0025" you should end up with the tan anodizing.

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Default Remarking MR556 lower to 416C, looking for options

@RegularGuy461969 I see! That picture is of a batch Mike @ TSC did and I posted it in response to show that he's doing them. He doesn't anodize given those reasons mentioned above. I'm most likely going with TSC on this HK416C project as I want a Form 2 SBR, but no idea if I really want custom paint. After I mastered everything MP5 related shortly after I purchases my sear back in 2015, I got into ARs and here I am now working on my next build, HK416C.
    Last edited by Oicani; 09-25-2017 at 09:26 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Anodized.
    https://i.imgur.com/xrjuTEh.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remarking MR556 lower to 416C, looking for options-img_4554.jpg  

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cerakote if applied right is more durable than HA-III. If not applied right it won't be. I have a good friend that is a certified Cerakote applicator. The problem with Cerakote is there are so many applicators and differences in how they prep. The prep is probable the most important step. I believe this to be the major drawback with Cerakote. My applicator has perfected his process, but when he first started out some of his work wasn't as durable.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie808 View Post
    Cerakote if applied right is more durable than HA-III. If not applied right it won't be. I have a good friend that is a certified Cerakote applicator. The problem with Cerakote is there are so many applicators and differences in how they prep. The prep is probable the most important step. I believe this to be the major drawback with Cerakote. My applicator has perfected his process, but when he first started out some of his work wasn't as durable.
    I doubt its any more durable. The substrate is soft, and that is how you get scratches. The anodize is harder than cerakote. Also type iii class i anodize is the only way to properly "clone" the real guns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links