HKPRO Forums banner

MR223 F-C (French limited edition)

18K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  LCSO264 
#1 ·
Came across this article on TFB (Civilian versions of the HK416F - MR223 F-S and MR223 F-C destined for France only - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog)

Seems that HK is testing new marketing strategies with *limited* edition versions. It appears a special MR223 will hit the market in 14.5" and 11", with potentially the same furniture as the military 416F.

The picture showcases some sort of photo-shopped mess, with likely just an amendment in markings:
- Sear pin is visible as in the normal military F Version
- Barrel seems not to be MR-BULL-style, rather normal Gov't profile as in previous HK416F renderings
- Gasblock not clearly A3 spec

I enquired to local (Swiss) HK dealers to get a sample, immediate feedback was that the gun is indeed a French exclusive. Let's see if we still manage to grab a couple of samples.

I for once would like to own one in 11" for my SBR collection,. Picture that instagram post with a Famas, 416F-style 11" & a glass of bordeaux !

See less See more
#4 ·
As per The Firearm Blog, I could only find one gun shop in France that mentions these and the pre-order is full. So it is only love for a handful of French.

#9 ·
It does use the original Gas Block of the Military French version, but the french army choosed to get a non adjustable gaz block. Delivery are planned for end of November. Something like 30 unit of each size (11" and 14.5") is planned.

My concern is more about the barrel profile. Will it be a military one (lighter but thinner) or the usual MR one (huge and heavy) ?

#11 ·
I was reading the same in a RETEX post on FB. The gasblock + Furniture should be the same as on the real deal. I did not know however that the gas block was non-adjustable? I am wondering why the French requested it this way though if by default it is adjustable on the A5 Version...?

Regarding default MR 223 A3 characteristics on this version I had the same questions. In the pictures, beyond the sear pin and the serial 88-XXXXXX it cannot be clearly seen how the barrel looks like. I wish the barrel was a bit thinner. 88-serial number would be cool as well but that will likely not be in the final version. not to mention the sear pin :p

#17 ·
technically, it is our own laws that prevent us from getting HK non-sporting rifles, as has been explained probably a 100 times on here. If not for import regulations and bans, there might be some validity to the complaints that HK does not provide the US market with the same things Europe has access to. The only way to get around these import bans, is to domestically produce their product. Although that seems easy enough, lets look at what has happened to the Sig Sauer brand post SIG USA manufacturing...... Some claim SIG USA is on the rebound and has gotten a handle on their Q/C, but for every claim of this there are examples of the abysmal Q/C issues that has plagued them.

I don't know the answer to this issue, I don't think it is as simple as just manufacturing their product here. The new plant is beginning to address the issue comprehensively, but I'm sure that won't be fast enough for some.

#18 ·
Exactly, a closer look at the SCAR example shows how it works. Want a semi auto rifle from abroad? Import it as pistol OR compliant to US law (no magazine release, and so on correct me kf i’m wrong). One way or another US manufacturers are needed to produce part of the rifle or the whole thing.

SIG is exporting 553 pistols to bypass this issue, but Germany can’t as their definition of pistols does not allow for a MR223 to be classified as such. So Germany cannot produce a Mr pistol, and the US cannot import the MR rifle.

Let’s see what the US plant comes up with.

#19 · (Edited)
45 MR223FC got delivered ten days ago to selected HK french dealers.
Barrel and gas block are the same as stock MR223A3 model.
The flash hider is the same as the HK416A7, slightly different from the HK416F flash hider.
Stock, pistol grip, handguard, charging handle, sling mounts and sights are identical to HK416F components.
Upper receiver is also the same as HK416F, except it does not sports the auto sear cut.
Weapon gets delivered with a 10 rds magazine.

pics from esistoire : Carabine Mr 223 F-C CANON 11P Cal 223R Cat B4 - Armes classées - Allemagne - ESIStoire - Vente d'objets militaires, armurerie

#20 ·
thanks for the pictures, interesting that the lower is marked Mr223- F, whereas initially it was supposed to be "F-C" or "F-S". Guess it makes engraving a bit cheaper and easier to swap lowers on uppers..

What do you mean exactly with the upper being "identical" with exception of the sear thing? You mean the extension in the chamber to accept only MR bolt?

#21 · (Edited)
You're right Andy, markings were supposed to be "F-C" and "F-S" according to the initial pictures from last year, obviously photoshopped HK-416F pictures.
Gas block, flash hider and magazine were supposed to be the same as HK416F models, according to the initial RUAG (french HK agent) statement, but they're not.

The upper is, as the HK416F one, not flat up to the rear end as on the MR223A3.

I didn't check the chamber extension, but as the bolt is MR marked, I can assume it's a MR bolt only chamber.

I'll get my MR223FC in two weeks when I'll be back home, I'll then be able to compare it with my MR223A3.

#22 ·
thanks a lot, looking forward. Also funny is that a dealer told me this *may* not be limited edition after all, supposedly it's still on the dealer list of available items with not indication whatsoever on availability restrictions.

Nevertheless quite a sweet package from the pictures I was able to source online. Looking forward to receiving my sample as well (here in Switzerland we don't have an ETA yet, even though I purchased mine in AUG/SEPT 2017.....................)

#27 ·
Exactly, there was never talk of an adj. one.. on the other hand i'd be curious to know if the GB on the MR223 FC is the same as in the 416 FC? The latter being self-adjustable as well and 11'', maybe it's the same type?

#29 ·
wow, thanks for the insights. You are well informed on the 416F! What do you think about the MR223F, worth buying in general or not? I own an FDE A3 in 11", but jumped in the 11" F-C when the news came out. As I also own a semi auto Famas, having the successor (or as close as it gets) seemed like a good choice.

I really think there is some collector's value in the Mr223 F, even compared to the current A3 lineup.

#30 ·
In my opinion the MR223F is worth buying.
The collector value is real, due to it beeing a limited edition and the fact that it is pretty close to the new french infantry rifle.

As you do, I already own a FDE 11' MR223A3, fitted with aimpoint and various add ons, and I really enjoy it.
Last year, when the MR223F-C and F-S got announced, I pre-ordered one.

#32 ·
I’m sure we’ll see what our Euro member’s have had the pleasure for the last few years soon. Beyond that it’s been interesting to see the evolution of this gun over the last 15 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.