Hk MR556 to 416 - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Hk MR556 to 416

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InshallahTech View Post
    Apparently you look good on paper, but you're clearly lacking in this situation otherwise you'd know better.

My experience has primarily been with ( but not limited to) high round count military weapons in war zones and advanced pre-positioned stock. I've had more full auto guns of all variety go through my hands then you've probably personally laid eyes on much less shot. I've spent quality time with real world end users of the 416 in afghan as well as have owned and currently own 416's and MR556's with multiple barrel lengths. I'm pretty sure that i'm one of maybe two or three people on this form capable of doing a full gauging on the AR platform in its entirety, including depot level QA and inspection.

Your "colt armorers certificate" is meaningless in the greater scheme of this discussion, especially since you don't understand the relative interaction of HK parts vs. standard DI parts in function interpretation. You may be able to apply DI troubleshooting techniques to the majority of aftermarket piston platforms, but that does NOT cross over into the realm of HK guns due to the entire ground up revision of the system.

Like I said, I know I've got a bit of an ego, but I've earned it and while on the outset the things I say may appear grating and rude, but in the end, the point is to help and educate. otherwise I wouldn't post at all and just let people run their guns into the ground.
    I don't care what your experience is, you're an ass and I never asked for your opinion. I'm done with you.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1Copper View Post
    I don't care what your experience is, you're an ass and I never asked for your opinion. I'm done with you.
    Figures. Some people don't handle education very well. It's especially apparent when people let their ego argue against real world experience over close held belief.

Based on the PM's I've received, I know that at least some folks are paying attention and I'm able to help those who actually care about their systems, which I'm more then happy to continue doing.

When the time comes and you need assistance, I'll help you too if necessary. My feelings aren't hurt.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

^^^Carry on @InshallahTech ^^^
    Certified NRA RSO

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If you don't plan on running a suppressor, I'd say "No", but do keep an eye out for heavy wear.
    Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@InshallahTech

I had couple of questions in regards to some of the things you have posted. Hopefully you can help me out. Background on my rifle:

- HK MR556 chopped to 10.4" w/ weld GB done by Marvin Pitts
    - originally ran HK buffer and spring w/ Surefire Socom suppressor
    - gun would eject around 1 o'clock when suppressed
    - switched to A5 w/ H4 buffer (saw what looked like carrier tilt wear)
    - ejection changed to 2 o'clock ejection pattern suppressed
    - switched to AAC SR5 suppressor and ejection went back to 1 o'clock and a couple stovepipe
    - changed to a heavy buffers 8 oz A5 buffer & Wolff extra power spring and went back to Surefire suppressor, ejection at 2-2:30 o'clock & unsuppressed is at 3 o'clock (seeing excessive wear in the upper receiver in the cam pin channel)

- where did you get the info for the gas port sizes, vented GB vs non vented GB? If I go the vented route, I just want to make sure it's HK's spec.
    - why is the stock spring and buffer better than the A5 system? Would a Geissele super 42 spring and H3 buffer be a good solution or better than the stock spring/buffer?
    - Would you recommend a standard HK GB with a larger gas port (.073) or the factory 10" vented GB w/ the spec gas port (1.6mm)?
    - is there anything else to work on the over gassing?
    Last edited by ic_guerrero; 10-02-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Does anyone notice that the HK spring is stiffer than any other AR spring?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    Does anyone notice that the HK spring is stiffer than any other AR spring?
    Apparently not.

That's why I tried to tell them that in spite of trying several different spring/buffer setups, I always came back to HK's original.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

My gun runs with a 10.39" barrel, vented mr556 gas block, and a regular carbine spring and buffer.

I leave it that way and switch to the hk spring/buffer for suppressed use.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ic_guerrero View Post
    @InshallahTech

I had couple of questions in regards to some of the things you have posted. Hopefully you can help me out. Background on my rifle:

- HK MR556 chopped to 10.4" w/ weld GB done by Marvin Pitts
    - originally ran HK buffer and spring w/ Surefire Socom suppressor
    - gun would eject around 1 o'clock when suppressed
    - switched to A5 w/ H4 buffer (saw what looked like carrier tilt wear)
    - ejection changed to 2 o'clock ejection pattern suppressed
    - switched to AAC SR5 suppressor and ejection went back to 1 o'clock and a couple stovepipe
    - changed to a heavy buffers 8 oz A5 buffer & Wolff extra power spring and went back to Surefire suppressor, ejection at 2-2:30 o'clock & unsuppressed is at 3 o'clock (seeing excessive wear in the upper receiver in the cam pin channel)

- where did you get the info for the gas port sizes, vented GB vs non vented GB? If I go the vented route, I just want to make sure it's HK's spec.
    - why is the stock spring and buffer better than the A5 system? Would a Geissele super 42 spring and H3 buffer be a good solution or better than the stock spring/buffer?
    - Would you recommend a standard HK GB with a larger gas port (.073) or the factory 10" vented GB w/ the spec gas port (1.6mm)?
    - is there anything else to work on the over gassing?
    Many of my measurements came from a pin gauge set and hands on. Other info came from some fine folks here or on other forums.

Stock spring and buffer is better due to spring weight. There are other 5oz buffers available on the market, so that's really a wash, but the HK spring is the primary part you should NOT be changing out. It is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger then any DI spring on the market, including wolff, sprinco, or the J&P silent system with it's strongest spring installed.

I've no experience with the Geissele springs. They make fantastic equipment, but I haven't used their springs yet.

Regarding gas port and vent sizes, you will probably want to start out with the factory HK specs by enlarging your port to 1.6mm and using the factory vented gas block for a 10.4 barrel. If you decide that you still don't like it or your suppressor still maintains pressure in the system too long for your taste, then you can always upsize your port and vent. Like I said, same outcome, different ratios.

Just remember, you can make the port and vent bigger quite easily.... but making them small again takes a LOT of work. Start with the HK factory smaller ratios and only work up if you really feel the need to.

Also, to be able to use brass throw as a secondary performance indicator, you really need to change out your ejector spring to a milspec DI ejector spring. The HK spring is actually a bit weaker then a milspec spring and doesn't give the same throw/reading.

Based on your setup, I would heavily suggest switching out to a vented gas block period. Regardless of which size you choose, just go with one. Especially running suppressed. You're beating your gun to hell right now. You've got an over gassed system that has a longer pressure spike with the suppressor (this is what is causing the excess damage in the cam pin track as the pressure is still slamming the bolt rearward after unlock which forces the cam pinto torque into the side of the receiver even as the BCG is in the rearward phase of the cycle), and on top of it all you've added a lot of mass to the buffer with a weaker spring (wolff isn't as strong as the HK spring)

Get back to HK strength. If you don' want to pay the cash for an HK buffer, get an H3 carbine buffer from Bravo company (it actually weighs in a .5 oz heavier then stock HK) and stick with the factory HK spring no matter what. After that, switch out your ejector spring to milspec, if for nothing else then to get a baseline of behavior. You can always switch back to the HK ejector spring if you really want to, but only after establishing your baseline performance with the gun in the new configuration. Primary goal here is to slow your bolt speed without adding weight.

Also, ideally, using brass throw as an indicator, all things being equal and running new parts, brass throw to the 4:00 isn't bad so long as the bolt locks back at the end of every magazine. Once you get to this point, you should be able to run suppressed and have some forward throw without hammering the crap out of your gun.

lastly, when you had stovepipes, that was caused by brass ejecting, hitting the deflector and bouncing right back into your ejection port. That's a sign of a severely overgassed gun.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    My gun runs with a 10.39" barrel, vented mr556 gas block, and a regular carbine spring and Hk buffer.
    Me too, with the Hk buffer, both suppressed (1:30) and unsuppressed (4:30). That said, I recently got an AGR and enlarged the gas port to 1.6mm. The AGR has 1.4 and 1.6mm ports and a 1mm vent. So, it's essentially a vented 10.4 gas block with a more restrictive suppressed setting (1.4).

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links