HK416 Upper w/ MR556 Lower: Accuracy Problem
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HK416 Upper w/ MR556 Lower: Accuracy Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK416 Upper w/ MR556 Lower: Accuracy Problem

I went to the range today to get my rifle sighted in w/the the Eotech. I was reading that red dots should be sighted in at 50 yards, so I went ahead and did that. The results were unexpected.

Results
    1. 50 Yards: 2 to 3 Inch spread
    2. 100 Yards: 5 to 6 inch spread (MOA)

Ammo used: American Eagle 5.56 , 55 grain

Rifle Setup
    - HK416 Upper (AH) w/ 10.4" Barrel
    - MR556 Lower
    - Eotech EXPS 2-2
    - Vortex Magnifier VMX-3T
    - MFI Barrel Extender (No SBR, I'm in California)
    - Standard Bipod

The grouping so bad, that I had to come here and ask the community experience with this gun. My best guess is the barrel extension is really screwing with the accuracy. The extension is just a steel metal tube that looks like a fake silencer, it has no ports in it for the gas to escape from the side, so everything comes out the front. I'm hypothesizing that since the extension tube diameter is bigger than the barrel, the gas is coming out with the bullet and making it unstable...I should have taken a picture of the target. My buddy told me that doesn't look normal, but none of us fired a 10.4" rifle before. Any thoughts?

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had mine out the other day, not sure if this helps, but same barrel length, sans the "extender" and I was shooting 77gr, @ 100yrds, maybe give some other ammo a try?
    Ignore the couple of "flyers" (for reference purposes the "white box" is 2")

Last edited by mildot; 11-13-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    Certified Glock, SIG, S&W Armourer
    Colt, REM Armourer
    Hidden Content
    Jack Reacher "I mean to beat you to death and drink your blood from a boot!"

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Something is going on with your rifle I'm afraid. This group is off a bag at 100 yds. I was shooting some .223 GECO 55gr. I had a 3X magnifier on this set-up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Yes , I think so . I AM also using the Eotech ..... The ammo also could be a factor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HK Shooting Team
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

I think your barrel extension is your problem.....get a MR556 upper and you'll be back shooting bullseyes!!!!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Default HK416 Upper w/ MR556 Lower: Accuracy Problem

I would be surprised if it’s due to the barrel extension. People shoot just fine with 10.4” 416 uppers using faux suppressors with no known issues. @UMP45 ENTRY , you ever have issues with your 10.4” upper with faux suppressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 11-13-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Needs Therapy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HKFanboy82 View Post
    I went to the range today to get my rifle sighted in w/the the Eotech. I was reading that red dots should be sighted in at 50 yards, so I went ahead and did that. The results were unexpected.

Results
    1. 50 Yards: 2 to 3 Inch spread
    2. 100 Yards: 5 to 6 inch spread (MOA)

Ammo used: American Eagle 5.56 , 55 grain

Rifle Setup
    - HK416 Upper (AH) w/ 10.4" Barrel
    - MR556 Lower
    - Eotech EXPS 2-2
    - Vortex Magnifier VMX-3T
    - MFI Barrel Extender (No SBR, I'm in California)
    - Standard Bipod

The grouping so bad, that I had to come here and ask the community experience with this gun. My best guess is the barrel extension is really screwing with the accuracy. The extension is just a steel metal tube that looks like a fake silencer, it has no ports in it for the gas to escape from the side, so everything comes out the front. I'm hypothesizing that since the extension tube diameter is bigger than the barrel, the gas is coming out with the bullet and making it unstable...I should have taken a picture of the target. My buddy told me that doesn't look normal, but none of us fired a 10.4" rifle before. Any thoughts?
    Not to sound rude, but shooting from a bipod still has opportunity for user error. Maybe let other people shoot the gun as well to give you a better sample size of groups. Also, AE 55 grn is not precision ammo, so maybe try a precision load to give you a good baseline. Of course, the barrel extension is also an obvious potential issue. I would also just use iron sights to sight in first, then go to the Eotech.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    I would be surprised if it’s due to the barrel extension. People shoot just fine with 10.4” 416 uppers using faux suppressors with no known issues. @UMP45 ENTRY , you ever have issues with your 10.4” upper with faux suppressor?

That’s a good question, I’ll have to try this weekend actually shooting for accuracy haha. I usually just love ringing plates at 100-200 yards on my property and have never felt accuracy was an issue. I’ll try shooting some groups though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ill try again with a gun rest, match grade ammo, and a precision scope to see if I get different results over the next week. I'll get some pictures up. Hopefully its not the barrel extension, that's the only thing making it legal.

Sadly I already sold off the mr556 upper.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I think the barrel extension theory has the most merit, but I don't think its the only contributing factor.

Not to disparage anyone or let my a*shole flag fly, but Ithink the vast majority of guys using barrel extenders are really not shooting well enough for groups to know or care what affect it has on accuracy (frankly and honestly, a lot of guys might consider 6" at 100 yds "good enough")--this is not to say *no one* who has one is a good shooter, I was simply talking in generalities--but if the extension was "off" for some reason, it could have significant accuracy effects, as well as affecting barrel harmonics.

As others have mentioned, ammunition is almost certainly playing a factor here, remember that military ammunition is generally about ~4 MOA spec (assuming that you're using XM193 or something substantially similar), so you're actually not too far from what might reasonably expected of the ammunition.

Another issue may be if you're using the magnifier to zero/group--many people actually shoot worse when using the magnifier to group due to the introduction of increased parallax error, and the tendency to "overcorrect," especially if you can see the "splash" from your rounds. I would recommend zeroing without the magnifier, once you're zeroed, you can confirm with the magnifier, but the magnifier is not necessarily the same thing as a dedicated scope, and they're not really designed to be used full time, but situationally based when needed.

~Augee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links