Looks like they are still making regular old MR556A1s in the new Georgia factory. - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looks like they are still making regular old MR556A1s in the new Georgia factory.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Did anyone ever figure out what parts of the German MR556s were US made for 922r? Just curious. I know German barrel blanks were finished by DD in the states.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    Did anyone ever figure out what parts of the German MR556s were US made for 922r? Just curious. I know German barrel blanks were finished by DD in the states.
    Upper and Lowers are U.S. made I think - no German markings and there are U.S. markings when you remove the pistol grip (SN, location) in addition to the typical markings on the rifle. As you stated the barrel blanks are finished in the U.S. by DD so they would be considered domestic as well. The bolt and bolt carrier appear to be made in DEU. Quad-rail (original) is CNC'd in DEU and I would assume the grip and stock are IM'd in DEU as well. Assume the gas block, piston, push-rod are all DEU made, not sure about the trigger, buffer, tube, and buffer spring. I forget the configuration of 922R points but I think that's enough.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

I believe the uppers and lowers are US made (barrel blanks finished here too). The early 416’s had many US made parts. The lower parts kits were J&T/DoubleStar and they had grips from tango down. I am not sure how 922 might impact the MR series as US made weapons. If you want to get Uber technical, 922 says "identical to" a firearm banned from importation. The fact the barrel doesn’t have chrome would mean they are not identical.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

mew
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gator33 View Post
    You raise a decent point, but to be honest, this fixation with what people "need" is completely irrelevant. I can't help but roll my eyes when people trot out the tired old "if you want a cool gun, join the military and EARN it" shtick.
    The individuals in the military using HK416s didn't "earn" them. They were issued them, by a government entity that purchased them. This is not to detract from the excellent work they do on a daily basis, but to say they "earned" their hardware by virtue of their profession is asinine. Does a welder "earn" his torch? Does a fireman "earn" his bunker gear? Does a fisherman "earn" his net?
    Actually the military members using 416's for the most part DID earn them by busting their asses to be good enough to function in a top tier unit. Regular units are not issued HK's I can assure you. And welders and firefighters don't just sign up and put on their gear or welders apprentices show up for work and start welding, is that what you think really?? I do agree with one thing you said, need and want are two different things, your money so buy what you want.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

or ambi controls if they are left handed
    The way HK Ambi controls are implemented are a real treat for right handed shooters mostly, not so much lefties. Having full ability to manipulate the bolt catch (in both ways) with the trigger finger OUTSIDE the magwell is simply awesome.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    The way HK Ambi controls are implemented are a real treat for right handed shooters mostly, not so much lefties. Having full ability to manipulate the bolt catch (in both ways) with the trigger finger OUTSIDE the magwell is simply awesome.
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. That is pretty cool.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    Upper and Lowers are U.S. made I think - no German markings and there are U.S. markings when you remove the pistol grip (SN, location) in addition to the typical markings on the rifle. As you stated the barrel blanks are finished in the U.S. by DD so they would be considered domestic as well. The bolt and bolt carrier appear to be made in DEU. Quad-rail (original) is CNC'd in DEU and I would assume the grip and stock are IM'd in DEU as well. Assume the gas block, piston, push-rod are all DEU made, not sure about the trigger, buffer, tube, and buffer spring. I forget the configuration of 922R points but I think that's enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    I believe the uppers and lowers are US made (barrel blanks finished here too). The early 416’s had many US made parts. The lower parts kits were J&T/DoubleStar and they had grips from tango down. I am not sure how 922 might impact the MR series as US made weapons. If you want to get Uber technical, 922 says "identical to" a firearm banned from importation. The fact the barrel doesn’t have chrome would mean they are not identical.
    Thanks for the info! Makes sense. I don't own an ARs, but if I did, it would be a 416 of some type (MR556, or whatever) An MR556 lower remarked to 416 D (or a real 416 lower, rare as they are) with a 416 10.3" upper with a RDIAS would be the bee's knees!

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

You raise a decent point, but to be honest, this fixation with what people "need" is completely irrelevant. I can't help but roll my eyes when people trot out the tired old "if you want a cool gun, join the military and EARN it" shtick.

The individuals in the military using HK416s didn't "earn" them. They were issued them, by a government entity that purchased them. This is not to detract from the excellent work they do on a daily basis, but to say they "earned" their hardware by virtue of their profession is asinine. Does a welder "earn" his torch? Does a fireman "earn" his bunker gear? Does a fisherman "earn" his net?

They earned their position in a elite military unit that purchases them the best equipment possible to complete their missions. So yes, they do earn it. I'm not saying that the average joe shouldn't have that same rifle. I'm just saying don't complain about not being able to buy that HK416a5, because you're not hunting terrorist!!

And apparently HK doesn't believe there's a big enough market or they would be selling it already...

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    Hey, there are people who have worked on many more mr556 barrels than you....I would tone it down a smidge since its making it look like you reside on the left side of that graph.
    Are you saying i'm incorrect?

On that note, how many nitride barrels have you modified? Cut, reprofiled, enlarged gas ports, etc.?

I've done a few. I know the difference between nitride and non-nitride barrels.
    Last edited by InshallahTech; 11-21-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InshallahTech View Post
    Are you saying i'm incorrect?

On that note, how many nitride barrels have you modified? Cut, reprofiled, enlarged gas ports, etc.?

I've done a few. I know the difference between nitride and non-nitride barrels.
    you'd be surprised how many MR barrels he has worked on...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links