Looks like they are still making regular old MR556A1s in the new Georgia factory. - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looks like they are still making regular old MR556A1s in the new Georgia factory.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    Thanks for the info! Makes sense. I don't own an ARs, but if I did, it would be a 416 of some type (MR556, or whatever) An MR556 lower remarked to 416 D (or a real 416 lower, rare as they are) with a 416 10.3" upper with a RDIAS would be the bee's knees!
    For us civilians, the holy grail is indeed to have a MR556 lower mated to a HK416 10.4" (or 14.5") upper. And with a RDIAS.

I am fortunate enough to have such a set-up.

I was also super duper lucky to buy a complete HK416 upper and lower (semi-only lower) with matching serial numbers. But good news and bad news, I am keeping my one and only set locked in the safe. As opposed to changing the HK416 lower semi only FCG to Full Auto or Burst FCG (or I guess safe, semi, burst and full auto mode, which another HKPro member advised me on).

Maybe if I get a great bonus this year, and I can afford another real deal HK416 semi-only lower. I would put the RDIAS in it and change out the FCG.

But outside of the marking, my understanding is that the semi-only HK416 lower and the MR556 lower is the exact same. Does anybody know if this is true? Or just another figment of my over-active imagination????

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post

"With the M27, in contrast, the barrel is made of high chromium content Aubert & Duval chrome-molybdenum-vanadium steel, cold hammer forged to give a tapered bore, and heat treated to 41 Rockwell C, then chrome lined"
    I call bullsh*t.

Was told it was made from valyrian steel!!

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
    For us civilians, the holy grail is indeed to have a MR556 lower mated to a HK416 10.4" (or 14.5") upper. And with a RDIAS.

I am fortunate enough to have such a set-up.

I was also super duper lucky to buy a complete HK416 upper and lower (semi-only lower) with matching serial numbers. But good news and bad news, I am keeping my one and only set locked in the safe. As opposed to changing the HK416 lower semi only FCG to Full Auto or Burst FCG (or I guess safe, semi, burst and full auto mode, which another HKPro member advised me on).

Maybe if I get a great bonus this year, and I can afford another real deal HK416 semi-only lower. I would put the RDIAS in it and change out the FCG.

But outside of the marking, my understanding is that the semi-only HK416 lower and the MR556 lower is the exact same. Does anybody know if this is true? Or just another figment of my over-active imagination????
    That’s awesome! So what (if any) “host” do you have your RDIAS in right now? For a fun “blaster” and relatively on the cheap you can get a regular MR556, have the barrel cut down to 10.3” spec and remark the lower. Then you could shoot away and not worry about abusing a rare and nearly unobtainable real 416.

I can’t top a real 416, but I do have a few nice kits I’m saving for when/if 922o is repealed that would make very nice registed MGs if built.
    One is too rare and nice to dumb down to a semi auto reweld, I’d just as soon keep it as a cool kit, so in the safe it waits, perhaps for eternity.

As far as semi auto 416 vs MR556 receiver, the only difference I can imagine is the inside of the MR556 “shelf” may need altering to fit the DIAS, but I’m not certain of that.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    My apologies if I have injured you emotionally. If anyone would like to file a lawsuit due to my disservice they can file it in their local court.
    You haven't and nobody will. The point is, if you don't know, don't post. Spreading misinformation makes the forum dumber.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    You haven't and nobody will. The point is, if you don't know, don't post. Spreading misinformation makes the forum dumber.
    It was a discussion Captain ADMIN, why don't you police every post for anything that isn't scientifically proven. Whatever dude, I'll post all I want and you can enjoy it.

I appreciate the overall discussion and I think it provides insight as to what people find as they try to understand firearms. I had the honesty to concede, do you have the honesty not to be a prick?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    And @InshallaTech, you seriously take a hand grinder to barrels? LOL what is this, an amateur YouTube channel?
    Dude, Whatever.

I've had a DoD structural steel certification for working naval steam systems. I can use a pneumatic angle grinder to cut to blue line full circumference on said piping systems (de-pressurized/locked out during work obviously) and have done so many times on D5 conversions.

Taking a grinder and making a simple 1/16" deep, 1/8" wide (approx.) wide notch in the circumference of a barrel to break the nitriding for a clean lathe cut isn't a big damn deal and makes the lathe portion of the process quicker and cheaper. Especially considering that the entirety of the ground portion is completely removed when turned down, threaded, and re-crowned. You would never even guess that's how the nitriding was broken when looking at the final product, nor does it cause any structural, stress, or temper issues. This process makes the carbide bits last almost twice as long due to only having to cut a single layer of nitriding in the bore and grinding wheels are cheaper to replace than carbide bits.

You keep thinking this is amateur hour and something done by a "youtube certified gunsmith". Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    Last edited by InshallahTech; 11-24-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

This thread has been a black week indeed :)

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What is the bore lined with if its not nitrided? I thought the MR 556/762 were both nitrided if they arent that or chrome lined are they just bare?
    So many HKs so little time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Nothing. Yes.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    This thread has been a black week indeed :)

I agree.....please close it...this thread has WAY over run it's course. Too many "barrel experts". I mean....jeeze
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links