MR762A1 Buyer's Remorse, Regret, Disappointment - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MR762A1 Buyer's Remorse, Regret, Disappointment

Merchant of Death (Admin)
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

And I have removed the posts that are an us versus them thing. We do not do the versus game on this board.

Wondering what happened to your posts???
    Please take a moment to re-read the terms that
    you agreed to
    when you signed up:
    Hidden Content .

Help bring sense to the NFA world, join Hidden Content .

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Great rifle. My take is that it's a 7.62x51 NATO beast so it has it's place from the start, which isn't a CQB bullpup. The barrel HK put on the rifle certainly delivers accuracy (and weight), that in addition to the tight tolerances, polishing, and high-end materials. Expensive, but any quality 7.62x51 AR-10 derivative is (LWRC, LaRue, KAC, LMT, etc.).

I've had pretty good luck going sub-MOA (3/4-MOA) with 168gr loads. I have some Black Hills and Hornady stuff I will be trying soon to see how they group.

It's not a 417, but a 417 isn't an MG121. Hoards of those who populate AR15(dot com) will have you think you need a 7.62x51 battle rifle for breaching doors for your weekend snatch/grab tango operations and the only solution is the HK 417. Rest assured those who ACTUALLY do that stuff are using "organizational" weapons and not lingering in anti-MR762 discussions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I bought my MR762A1 as a semi auto precision rifle. It excels at that role. It is however a heavy pig, that is my major complaint about it.

With factory ammo, particularly the Australian Outback 168 SMK’s, it’s about a 3/4 MOA gun. With my handloads using a 178 Hornady ELD-X, it hovers around 1/2 MOA, with some groups in the .4’s if I am really having a good day.

It’s boringly reliable, and I even took my antelope with it this year. Last week I took a coyote at 638 yards using my 178 ELD-X handloads.

Overall, I’m very pleased with my purchase. So pleased I just purchased the OSS suppressor for it. Now the wait begins on that...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't find the weight of my MR762 to be a problem. But I'm 6'2 210 lbs. its accuracy is right up their with my LaRue OBR with is even heavier. However I wouldn't like to be humping either over hill and dale all day long. But I don't see myself ever having to do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm on my second MR762. I had bought one for $2700 just before the last panic hit and will admit that I cashed it out rather handsomely when everyone lost their minds. I shot AB39 or M118LR just about exclusively through it and found it to be a solid 3/4-1MOA rifle. Sometimes I shot better, sometimes worse but it was a consistent platform. Fast forward to now and I'm on my second MR762 - wasn't $2700, but it was still a good deal. I'm shooting the same ammo and getting the same results, overall I'm very pleased.

I've owned several SR25/MK11 variants (still have one), an OBR, a REPR and an LR308. I was probably the most disappointed in selling the REPR because I thought it felt and handled the best, but 4 trips back to the factory and I couldn't get it to shoot under 2MOA, which I suppose made it a lemon considering how I hear others shoot. The OBR was a good rifle, shot great but it wasn't really my "go-to" rifle. Performance-wise, I'd buy another if I were so inclined. I know that like HK, there are haters of KAC but I like them - apart from trigger issues, they shoot great. I haven't had any of their ECR/ECC variants, but I can speak well of the Mk11's. The LR308 was hard to beat 5 years ago but there are other companies offering budget .308 AR platforms now that offer similar performance.

They're all pigs when it comes to the weight, so I'm not very inclined to use any as a battle rifle. They have to be shooters or I'm not going to waste my time. Oftentimes, I see many people ask if the MR762 is "worth it". My response to that is - it's really for you as the buyer to decide. How bad do you want it? There are so many haters of HK and lovers of others, it's hard to get an honest answer. For performance, the LR308 shot just as good and was a 1/3rd of the cost. There are other "high-end" platforms out there that will shoot as good and may be as reliable that you can purchase as well. The single biggest downside to the MR762 is accessories - it takes an expensive proprietary mag and there's very few accessories otherwise. If you can get around that, then go for it.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

For all mentioning that MR762 is heavy: I think that @bodybuilder should consider this as added profit - never enough training in body building ;)
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

You hear some complaints about the mags , buy being readily available in the low 40's price wise , they're tough to beat shooting 168's or 175's .

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
    NRA Certified RSO

Be where your feet are

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmc View Post
    You hear some complaints about the mags , buy being readily available in the low 40's price wise , they're tough to beat shooting 168's or 175's .

Wait, so you're saying Magpul isn't the end-all-be-all?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentTactical View Post
    Wait, so you're saying Magpul isn't the end-all-be-all?
    No , not at all. They're just not meant to hold anything larger than 147gr .308/762 ammo .

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Montrala View Post
    For all mentioning that MR762 is heavy: I think that @bodybuilder should consider this as added profit - never enough training in body building ;)
    I can't help it scratch my head when I hear people complain about weight in a rifle they bought or are thinking of buying. Should you want something lighter, you should buy something that is lighter. In the meanwhile I will I don't mind carrying my MR762 to and from the car.
    Get clean shots, watch your background.
    Instagram: Needmore308

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links