Quote Originally Posted by Soltern View Post
    Vous avez un bon homme, Charlie Brown!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    That’s an interesting statement about the HK slimline HG getting too hot on a 556. as I have never seen nor heard of any complaints related to the MR223 version and it standard on them. I have the G28 Patrol V2 hand guard similar to yours on my 762 and I don’t see how that thing would ever get too hot even on a machine gun. I would believe the same of the MR223 version.
    @baljar , @Andy88 and @Montrala you guys have heat issues with the new slimline handguard on your MR223 11” rifles?

I’ve actually been thinking of having one sent over to add to my collection. I’d love the extended version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Put about three 30 round mags fast through the gun and come talk to me. Any "skinny" rail that close to the barrel is gonna get hot! The BCM keymod rail is a perfect example, and it's further away than the HK slimline rail. Maybe those guys wear gloves when they shoot, maybe they shoot and let the barrel cool, or maybe they don't shoot their guys, like a lot of guys.
    Last edited by Stevie808; 01-03-2018 at 12:20 AM.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    The HK Parts had burrs from poor machining and sharp flesh cutting edges by design.
    Same issue I had. The OEM HK handguard seemed to like ripping at my flesh.

IIRC, Grumpy or some other HKPro member modded a HK handguard by getting rid of the side rails. That was interesting

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It'd be nice if some of these rails had cuts in them to allow for the gas block sling loops to stay on the block. I'd like to switch back and forth without worry.
    Instagram: Black_Rifle

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie808 View Post
    Put about three 30 round mags fast through the gun and come talk to me. Any "skinny" rail that close to the barrel is gonna get hot! The BCM keymod rail is a perfect example, and it's further away than the HK slimline rail. Maybe those guys wear gloves when they shoot, maybe they shoot and let the barrel cool, or maybe they don't shoot their guys, like a lot of guys.
    Any aluminum handguard will eventually get hot if you're doing mag dumps, as you're far exceeding the sustained rate of fire of the weapon, meaning you will start to overheat it.

On the one hand, I don't know that I really understand the aversion to wearing gloves if you're going to be doing high volume shooting and training, but that's neither here nor there.

In a general sense, handguards that stay cooler longer do so because they are better at insulating (obviously we're not talking about specialty designs like heat sinks, etc.), meaning that while it might feel more comfortable to your bare hand, it means that it's keeping more heat around your barrel, meaning your barrel stays hotter, longer, and while you may not feel it for a while--your barrel will heat faster and get hotter as you continue to push the weapon beyond its sustained rate of fire. Given that heat is the biggest killer of barrels/guns/critical components, if you're habitually firing large volumes at or near cyclic, you're shortening the service life of the weapon.

Meanwhile, most of the aftermarket rails being discussed may get hotter a little faster than the factory quad rail--but they also offer far superior cooling, meaning that not only do the handguards themselves cool to a comfortable temperature faster, but they also cool the barrel and dissipate heat much better than the factory quad rail, which, in practical terms means a higher sustained rate of fire, which to me is a much larger asset both to serious training and in combat.

Simple volume of fire doesn't necessarily equate to good shooting or good training--I'm not saying that this applies to you, but I know plenty of guys that expend a metric f*ck-ton of ammunition shooting nothing but dirt or maybe old TVs, usually they're civilians who have been fortunate enough to afford machine guns and ammunition to feed them, but have never received any actual training on employing automatic fires.

Ultimately, everyone's threshold for "too hot" will be different, but while I agree that yes, the Geissele (e.g.) handguard can get hot, and all things being equal, it will get hotter faster than the factory quad rail, I don't feel that it gets too hot too quickly, even with bare hands, assuming you're not doing continuous mag dumps or several repetitions of break contact drills--both of which there's a good chance I'd be wearing gloves for anyways. On the other hand, I find the Geissele handguard to be much more comfortable to use/hold and control the weapon, making it worth it to me, despite the fact that the handguard may get a hot a little faster than with the factory quad rail.

~Augee
    baljar likes this.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie808 View Post
    @Augee is on point here, everything is getting hot by absorbing heat, be it heavy barrel or not, feeling HEAT is good because it shows it is dissipating heat. So your logic is "ok" if you ONLY shoot your three mags, fine, a heavy barrel and enclosed handguard will contain that. But as a rule of thumb, you want the heat dissipation for a longer training drill, because that will keep the gun overall cooler and allow more volume of fire.
    Get gloves if thats such a concern, its just the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
    Same issue I had. The OEM HK handguard seemed to like ripping at my flesh.
    Not sure if that is really a HK part, the HK Handguard is not so bad, maybe HKparts has gotten parts from a chinesium source?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soltern View Post
    That's odd, the Troy was seen recently on some A5 in french 1er RPIMa.
    This is how mine aligned...

After market HK416 rail discussion-img_3631.png

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drooler View Post
    Same issue I had...
    I'm talking about HK Parts Mlok rail. Burrs...

After market HK416 rail discussion-img_3633.pngAfter market HK416 rail discussion-img_3632.png

Ridiculously sharp design features...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After market HK416 rail discussion-img_3634.png  

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post

Not sure if that is really a HK part, the HK Handguard is not so bad, maybe HKparts has gotten parts from a chinesium source?
    OEM = Original Engineered Materials

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tlrgsxr View Post
    This is how mine aligned...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3631.PNG 
Views:	515 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	167842
    Wow, that is crazy crappy. Not sure how they could send that out the door. Did you ask for a replacement?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links