After market HK416 rail discussion
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: After market HK416 rail discussion

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default After market HK416 rail discussion

Happy New Year's fellas, I have an HK416 10.4in upper. I have been seeing the wave of members here buying into the new after market rails such as Geissele SMR, Remington RAHG, Midwest Industries rail, among other rails.

That being said, I am curious why the push to the newer slick rails? secondly, are they truly day-and-night better than the stock quad rail? if so, why or why not?

I guess the reason of this post is to convince myself that my upper needs updating. I just want to be sure that the money and the effort(cutting the sling loops), is going to be worth it, since there isn't so much of a trial after the sling loops are cut.

Anyways, any feedback is appreciated and thanks for taking the time for my inquiry to your experiences with after market rails on your MR556 or 416.

Regards,
    CD

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Happy new year

I have had the quad, Geissele, and RAHG. Both the Geissele and RAHG feel better in the hand than the quad. The Geissele has some "steps" to its curve that I suppose promote grip. I didn’t see too much difference between them though, so I put them in the personal preference category.

As for the GB, just get a spare block if you are adverse to cutting the loops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It usually comes down to preference. Many prefer the feel of a slickside tube where they can add a rail section as needed than quadrails - they don't call them cheesegraters for nothing. You can also make the argument of weight savings with the Daniel Defense, Midwest or Lancer - but the more popular ones from Remington and Geiselle are similar in weight to to the factory quadrail.

I've got the factory quadrails too on both of my 416's and my MR762. I don't mind the feel with ladder panels in place and haven't felt the need to use anything else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Om3ga9000 View Post
    Happy New Year's fellas, I have an HK416 10.4in upper. I have been seeing the wave of members here buying into the new after market rails such as Geissele SMR, Remington RAHG, Midwest Industries rail, among other rails.

That being said, I am curious why the push to the newer slick rails? secondly, are they truly day-and-night better than the stock quad rail? if so, why or why not?

I guess the reason of this post is to convince myself that my upper needs updating. I just want to be sure that the money and the effort(cutting the sling loops), is going to be worth it, since there isn't so much of a trial after the sling loops are cut.

Anyways, any feedback is appreciated and thanks for taking the time for my inquiry to your experiences with after market rails on your MR556 or 416.

Regards,
    CD
    The slicker and thinner the rail the faster it's going to get hot when you shoot a lot of rounds through it. Don't get me wrong I love the slick looking rails, I have them also. I recently got a hk slim line rail for my MR762 and it will work for that gun as it's a precision rifle and I don't put a lot of rounds through that gun in a short period of time. If I wanted that same rail for my 556 gun that gets a lot of rounds through it, I would have to wear gloves to shoot it. So for me the hk416 slimline rail is a no go as I want to be able to shoot all my guns without gloves if necessary. This is a very important factor if you actually shoot your gun. A lot of guys on this site don't...

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So from what I have gathered the slim line rails get hotter than the factory rail. however, top US units are moving toward the slicker rails, I am assuming this move is towards is due to weight savings but not too sure.

I generally shoot with gloves, so I haven't found an issue with the factory quad rail. As much as a I adore this rifle, I hope to run it through its paces by taking it to carbine classes and such. Perhaps the best method to do so would be with the factory quad rail, would that be a safe assumption? Or does the rifle maneuver better with a slick rail?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

I'm a big fan of the Strike Industries Rail for the 416. I've got one on my AF 10.4" upper. I'll never cut the sling loops. https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...cessories.html
    Sparkplugs are irrelevant.
    Plenty of HK's and clones.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Put the RAHG rail on, and you'll never look back. I've had just about any rail that would fit, and personally the RAHG has been the best thus far. As far as "getting hot".....I've never experienced that as a problem. Sling loops....yeah....there's a reason why the newer uppers don't have sling loops.....no one ever used them, and usually cut them off anyway. Good luck and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!
    caf82313 and TLOU_Joel like this.
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    Put the RAHG rail on, and you'll never look back. I've had just about any rail that would fit, and personally the RAHG has been the best thus far. As far as "getting hot".....I've never experienced that as a problem. Sling loops....yeah....there's a reason why the newer uppers don't have sling loops.....no one ever used them, and usually cut them off anyway. Good luck and Happy New Year!!!!!!!!
    ^^^^^^This ^^^^^

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Default After market HK416 rail discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie808 View Post
    The slicker and thinner the rail the faster it's going to get hot when you shoot a lot of rounds through it. Don't get me wrong I love the slick looking rails, I have them also. I recently got a hk slim line rail for my MR762 and it will work for that gun as it's a precision rifle and I don't put a lot of rounds through that gun in a short period of time. If I wanted that same rail for my 556 gun that gets a lot of rounds through it, I would have to wear gloves to shoot it. So for me the hk416 slimline rail is a no go as I want to be able to shoot all my guns without gloves if necessary. This is a very important factor if you actually shoot your gun. A lot of guys on this site don't...
    That’s an interesting statement about the HK slimline HG getting too hot on a 556. as I have never seen nor heard of any complaints related to the MR223 version and it standard on them. I have the G28 Patrol V2 hand guard similar to yours on my 762 and I don’t see how that thing would ever get too hot even on a machine gun. I would believe the same of the MR223 version.
    @baljar , @Andy88 and @Montrala you guys have heat issues with the new slimline handguard on your MR223 11” rifles?

I’ve actually been thinking of having one sent over to add to my collection. I’d love the extended version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 01-01-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nzfly View Post
    Happy new year

I have had the quad, Geissele, and RAHG. Both the Geissele and RAHG feel better in the hand than the quad. The Geissele has some "steps" to its curve that I suppose promote grip. I didn’t see too much difference between them though, so I put them in the personal preference category.

As for the GB, just get a spare block if you are adverse to cutting the loops.
    This ^^ I actually preferred the Geissele over the RAHG fit Hand better IMO, but that is person preference!!

Cut the loops never look back they are easy as hell to do and make them look almost factory done!! If you need help PM me.. Those 2 rails cover them anyhow.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links