Geissele 14.5” SMR w. MR556 - cut down barrel length? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Geissele 14.5” SMR w. MR556 - cut down barrel length?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondpembrose View Post
    I understand that about the price. Thanks for your responses by the way. Unfortunately spending that much on a 416 upper isn’t worth it to me. I wouldn’t have trouble buying a pinned and welded 416, i just wouldnt feel right doing it myself... id rather put it on an SBR lower.

To be honest, I’d love to have a real 416 upper but that just isn’t feasible right now. Someday i hope
    99.99% of folks will get by just fine with a chopped and SBR'd MR (or with a pinned and welded FH). When cared for properly, barrel life meets or exceeds the vast majority of chromed DI barrels for longevity. Nitriding it simply makes it last even longer (something some folks have a difficult time understanding)

There's no need to blow a ton of money and you also don't feel like crap when you shoot the **** out of an easily replaceable MR compared to a dwindling number of actual 416's in the states.

Some people are more interested in bragging rights and delusions of gandeur then utility.

Unless you plan on doing a unch of FA mag dumps and the like, there is no "need" for a 416. Yes, they're fun to have, and it's nice to say "Look what I have!"...... but in the end if all it does is sit in your safe and gathers dust, what good is it really?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thanks for your response, InshallaTech

I agree with you, I won't ever be going into combat, this'll be a recreational rifle, bedside gun, and something i'll occasionally use for matches. I don't need a 416, although I'd like to make excuses to spend thousands on a new upper!!

I have been very very happy with my MR556 thus far. I would nitride the barrel but it is not an unfired barrel, so I'm just going to keep it as it is.
    Thanks for your response

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Augee View Post
    14.5”, the Geissele HK SMRs correspond to the barrel length they’re designed for, not the rail’s actual length.

This is an MR556 barrel cut and reprofiled to match the factory HK416 14.5” barrel, suppressor is a Surefire FA556-212, but it’s the same length/mounting clearance as the SOCOM.

Attachment 185537

~Augee
    Hi Augee, side question... how did you get the FDE finish on the upper and lower receiver? I presume a custom job looks great and curious who did it for you.

Thanks
    Ben

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by halcyonhal View Post
    Hi Augee, side question... how did you get the FDE finish on the upper and lower receiver? I presume a custom job looks great and curious who did it for you.

Thanks
    Ben
    Oh we’ve all been trying to get that answer for quite some time now;-)

But “loose lips sink ships”!
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

@halcyonhal

RegularGuy is a bit salty for whatever reason that I won't post the refinishers' information on a public forum for all to see, but they HK factory MR556 receivers that have been re-anodized and re-marked.

The issue is that most refinishers that are capable of doing this kind of work often prefer not to advertise this fact openly, as it is risky, difficult, and unpredictable to do, which means they will charge a good bit to make it worth their while. I've made a couple different posts here on HKPRO, before, during, and after about the process, and I'm more than happy to discuss it with anyone, I'm not replicating it again here simply because I've posted it several times. I will say that there was more than one company involved in getting the final product/result, and I've been asked to be discreet about who did the work, because they don't want to be bombarded by requests, but they are willing to do it for people who are willing to do their research and know what is involved, and are willing to pay/wait for it, and others, some with my help, and others without have gotten the work done since I have, and I have discussed it with folks via PM, e-mail, and even over the phone.

~Augee

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Augee View Post
    @halcyonhal

RegularGuy is a bit salty for whatever reason that I won't post the refinishers' information on a public forum for all to see, but they HK factory MR556 receivers that have been re-anodized and re-marked.

The issue is that most refinishers that are capable of doing this kind of work often prefer not to advertise this fact openly, as it is risky, difficult, and unpredictable to do, which means they will charge a good bit to make it worth their while. I've made a couple different posts here on HKPRO, before, during, and after about the process, and I'm more than happy to discuss it with anyone, I'm not replicating it again here simply because I've posted it several times. I will say that there was more than one company involved in getting the final product/result, and I've been asked to be discreet about who did the work, because they don't want to be bombarded by requests, but they are willing to do it for people who are willing to do their research and know what is involved, and are willing to pay/wait for it, and others, some with my help, and others without have gotten the work done since I have, and I have discussed it with folks via PM, e-mail, and even over the phone.

~Augee
    Augee

I’m not salty; believe me, I get it.

I’m just telling him that we’ve all asked you.

I’ve got no dog in this fight nor do I want one.

Nothing but love and respect brother!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    <snip>
    Cheers brother, I wish HK would just release a RAL8000 MR556 in the US (A1, naturally, ), and me and everyone else could have three of 'em!

~Augee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links