Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Measured Velocities for HK MR762A1

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ErickZ View Post
    AO is Australian Outback. It can be found for as low as 80 cents per round online, and if I have to buy factory ammo, it’s my go-to. Extremely consistent and accurate ammo.
    I have used the .223 and you are right, super accurate ammo will have to try it in .308!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkuser9817 View Post
    I measured the muzzle velocity on several brands...I was looking to see which would be best to shoot at over 600 yards. I have a stock MR762A1 purchased new October of 2017. I was bench firing using an Atlas bipod and rear shooting bag. The measurement was done using a Magnetospeed sporter attached to the barrel. For each test I made sure I got 5 good measurements. Most of the time, it only took five shots, but for a couple I had some outliers (over 3000 fps) and had to shoot a 6th or even a 7th shot to get a good measurement. I discounted the outliers and did not factor them in the average, standard deviation or spread.

Hornady 168 gr. ELD Match:
    Average Speed: 2590 fps
    Standard Deviation (SD): 20.2
    Extreme Spread (ES): 48

Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King 168 gr BTHP:
    Average Speed: 2467 fps
    Standard Deviation (SD): 32.2
    Extreme Spread (ES): 84

Federal Gold Medal Sierra Match King 175 gr BTHP:
    Average Speed: 2461 fps
    Standard Deviation (SD): 13.5
    Extreme Spread (ES): 32

Black Hills 175 gr BTHP:
    Average Speed: 2346 fps
    Standard Deviation (SD): 19.2
    Extreme Spread (ES): 49

HSM 168 gr BTHP:
    Average Speed: 2436 fps
    Standard Deviation (SD): 15.2
    Extreme Spread (ES): 40

So at least in my gun, the Hornady is the fastest and should stay supersonic to 1000 yards. The Black Hills was disappointing and both Federal Gold Match (168 and 175) were too close in speed to show any sort of advantage other than bullet length. For the money, the HSM seems a better buy than either Federal Gold Medal. For distance I will stick with Hornady ELD-M....they claim a 200 fps increase over other 168 gr.....while I didn't get 200 fps (maybe on a 24" barrel vs. by 16.5"), I did get over 130 fps increase over the Federal Gold Medal.

BTW, they were all accurate with 4 out 5 shots sub MOA (even the HSM).

This was my first time using the Magnetospeed, is I am curious if anyone else has some velocity data.
    Thank You For The Data!!

Banned

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

AO is Australian Outback. It can be found for as low as 80 cents per round online, and if I have to buy factory ammo, itís my go-to. Extremely consistent and accurate ammo.

I absolutely love my 20 MOA Geissele Super Precision Mount. The thing fits the MR like they were machined together.

I really love my Vortex Razor HD II. My only complaint about it is the weight, it weighing in at 3 pounds. Itís only a couple ounces and a bit more money for the 4.5-27, so thatís what I went with. I absolutely love the EBR-2C reticle in it. I honestly like this scope more than the Nightforce scopes I have owned.

My load for my MR is a 178 Hornady ELD-X on top of 44 grains of Varget seared to 2.825Ē. Groups like a dream. Use caution as this is a pretty stout load. Iím using Sig brass as Iíve found it to be more consistent, with better flash holes, than Hornady. Being shot in a Semi auto and losing brass, I cannot get myself to buy Lapua brass.

Let me know if you have any questions on this stuff, I love long range.
    They are made for one another, Great setup!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

AO is Australian Outback. It can be found for as low as 80 cents per round online, and if I have to buy factory ammo, itís my go-to. Extremely consistent and accurate ammo.

I absolutely love my 20 MOA Geissele Super Precision Mount. The thing fits the MR like they were machined together.

I really love my Vortex Razor HD II. My only complaint about it is the weight, it weighing in at 3 pounds. Itís only a couple ounces and a bit more money for the 4.5-27, so thatís what I went with. I absolutely love the EBR-2C reticle in it. I honestly like this scope more than the Nightforce scopes I have owned.

My load for my MR is a 178 Hornady ELD-X on top of 44 grains of Varget seared to 2.825Ē. Groups like a dream. Use caution as this is a pretty stout load. Iím using Sig brass as Iíve found it to be more consistent, with better flash holes, than Hornady. Being shot in a Semi auto and losing brass, I cannot get myself to buy Lapua brass.

Can you share why you picked 20 MOA instead of 0 MOA for the mount? I assume it's so you have a more comfortable scope position?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by douglasjboehme View Post
    AO is Australian Outback. It can be found for as low as 80 cents per round online, and if I have to buy factory ammo, it’s my go-to. Extremely consistent and accurate ammo.

I really love my Vortex Razor HD II. My only complaint about it is the weight, it weighing in at 3 pounds. It’s only a couple ounces and a bit more money for the 4.5-27, so that’s what I went with. I absolutely love the EBR-2C reticle in it. I honestly like this scope more than the Nightforce scopes I have owned.

My load for my MR is a 178 Hornady ELD-X on top of 44 grains of Varget seared to 2.825”. Groups like a dream. Use caution as this is a pretty stout load. I’m using Sig brass as I’ve found it to be more consistent, with better flash holes, than Hornady. Being shot in a Semi auto and losing brass, I cannot get myself to buy Lapua brass.

Can you share why you picked 20 MOA instead of 0 MOA for the mount? I assume it's so you have a more comfortable scope position?
    The 20 MOA is the same height as a standard mount basically.

I like to push my guns out to stupid distances. With the 20 MOA Mount I have 71 MOA of usable elevation adjustment on my Razor.

Without the 20 MOA amount I would have approximately 51 MOA which would get me out to about 1,300 yards. For most people that is way more than enough, but I love pushing out further. When I shot to 1,609 a couple weeks ago I ended up dialing up 71 MOA and holding another 20 MOA.

This is more than the vast majority will push an MR762, and more than I do regularly. This gives me the option to reach out further with no drawbacks. Also if I ever move this scope and mount to a more long distance capable rig, I will have the proper mount to do so.

As long as the weather holds tomorrow, a friend and I are going to try a mile. With the MR it will basically be lobbing bullets like a rainbow, but it’s fun to do. I went 3/12 at 1,609 and it is a ton of fun to push things past their limit.

FS1
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The AO is great stuff. I bought a couple cases 168 smk because of the price. I did not expect it to be so good. Consistent and accurate. It is just very hard to find since I bought mine. There is a lot of 165 GK but the SMK 168 has been a unicorn.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal that made good under pressure!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The 20 MOA is the same height as a standard mount basically.

I like to push my guns out to stupid distances. With the 20 MOA Mount I have 71 MOA of usable elevation adjustment on my Razor.

Without the 20 MOA amount I would have approximately 51 MOA which would get me out to about 1,300 yards. For most people that is way more than enough, but I love pushing out further. When I shot to 1,609 a couple weeks ago I ended up dialing up 71 MOA and holding another 20 MOA.

This is more than the vast majority will push an MR762, and more than I do regularly. This gives me the option to reach out further with no drawbacks. Also if I ever move this scope and mount to a more long distance capable rig, I will have the proper mount to do so.

As long as the weather holds tomorrow, a friend and I are going to try a mile. With the MR it will basically be lobbing bullets like a rainbow, but it’s fun to do. I went 3/12 at 1,609 and it is a ton of fun to push things past their limit.
    Thank you very much for the great response! I have a 0 MOA for my Burris 3x15 for my mr762 which is why I asked.

Best of luck this weekend!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

BTW, I ended up purchasing the same mount as ErickZ for the my scope (also a Vortex Razor). I chose the Geissele AR15/M4 20 MOA mount based on ErickZ's setup and when I emailed Geissele customer service, that was what they recommended for the MR762A1. I probably won't be shooting my HK past 1000 yards (not a lot of places to do that in Maryland), but it does give me the option if I move it to a different (yet to be purchased) rifle and I go somewhere I can stretch it out, then I am all set. The Razor certainly has the capacity to go long, so why put it on a 0 MOA mount. Most of the time I keep a Vortex 1-8 Scope on my HK....that is plenty for my 100 and 300 yard range. The vortex mount has been very good with excellent return to 0 when removed and mounted. I expect the Geissele to be just as good at returning to zero.

Next weekend I am going out to WV to shoot at a 1000 yard range with the Hornady 168 ELD-M (fastest one I measured)....will report back.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkuser9817 View Post
    BTW, I ended up purchasing the same mount as ErickZ for the my scope (also a Vortex Razor). I chose the Geissele AR15/M4 20 MOA mount based on ErickZ's setup and when I emailed Geissele customer service, that was what they recommended for the MR762A1. I probably won't be shooting my HK past 1000 yards (not a lot of places to do that in Maryland), but it does give me the option if I move it to a different (yet to be purchased) rifle and I go somewhere I can stretch it out, then I am all set. The Razor certainly has the capacity to go long, so why put it on a 0 MOA mount. Most of the time I keep a Vortex 1-8 Scope on my HK....that is plenty for my 100 and 300 yard range. The vortex mount has been very good with excellent return to 0 when removed and mounted. I expect the Geissele to be just as good at returning to zero.

Next weekend I am going out to WV to shoot at a 1000 yard range with the Hornady 168 ELD-M (fastest one I measured)....will report back.
    I purchased my 0 MOA without fully understanding why the 20 MOA was better. :(

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by douglasjboehme View Post
    I purchased my 0 MOA without fully understanding why the 20 MOA was better. :(
    I was in the same boat with the Nikon 4.5-18 scope I had on before...It was my first scope on my first rifle (the MR762A1). The spec for the scope said 40 MOA of adjustment and when I went to dial it up I got about 19. Then I did some reading....I am not sure the historical reason for the factory zero to be at the mid point of the range....I can't imagine needing more than a few MOA down from center to adjust (unless you have a riser). In any case, you can always add a riser to the rail and mount on that. With my Nikon I used a relatively inexpensive riser for a while and it worked fine. But when I was mounting a new scope, I went with a mount with built in rise (less moving parts). A $100 mount and a $30 riser seemed fine for my $500 Nikon scope...but that was not going to do for the Razor.
    douglasjboehme likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links