SOCOM556-SB2 designed for HK416?

Thread: SOCOM556-SB2 designed for HK416?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default SOCOM556-SB2 designed for HK416?

I haven't seen much discussion about this particular suppressor, other than a few mentions by @RegularGuy461969 .

From the product description, it sounds like SureFire specifically targeted the older/unvented HK416's. Does the SB2 alleviate some of the over-gassing and reduce accelerated wear and tear? It makes sense since they also designed an H9 buffer...

I'm happy with my SOCOM556-RC, but maybe someone with an SB2 could chime in with their thoughts.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMFdarkangel View Post
    I haven't seen much discussion about this particular suppressor, other than a few mentions by @RegularGuy461969 .

From the product description, it sounds like SureFire specifically targeted the older/unvented HK416's. Does the SB2 alleviate some of the over-gassing and reduce accelerated wear and tear? It makes sense since they also designed an H9 buffer...

I'm happy with my SOCOM556-RC, but maybe someone with an SB2 could chime in with their thoughts.
    I don’t believe there is much of a difference between the SB2 and the RC except for the bore diameter. The SB2 bore is a little wider to allow for more instability in the projectile due to the shorter barrel length and to help accommodate for frangible ammo. SF use to state that in their description.

I did not find the suppressor to be “kind” to my 416 Shorty Uppers until I placed HK OEM vented 10.4” gas blocks on them and had the barrel gas ports tuned to them. They shoot wonderfully now unsuppressed and suppressed with my SB2.

So I’m not sure about SFs new description claim that it helps with certain piston guns that do not have adjustable gas systems. But yes it’s always been designed for SBRs of lesser length than the M4 (14.5”) or <10”

If I am not mistaken the RC was designed to operate with the 416 and the SB2 came after with the SOCOM2 line of suppressors to cater to <10” barrel lengths and frangible ammo (as they used to state).

Do you have an RC or an RC2? I believe the only difference is Hand VS Machine welding.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 04-11-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    I don’t believe there is much of a difference between the SB2 and the RC except for the bore diameter.
    Larger bore means less back pressure. The 762-MINI2 or 556-MINI2 would be an even better choice, albeit at the expense of sound suppression.

If I am not mistaken the RC was designed to operate with the 416 and the SB2 came after with the SOCOM2 line of suppressors to cater to >10” barrel lengths and frangible ammo (as they used to state).
    >10" means greater than 10 inches. <10" means less than 10 inches.
    Hidden Content

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得 箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Larger bore means less back pressure. The 762-MINI2 or 556-MINI2 would be an even better choice, albeit at the expense of sound suppression.

>10" means greater than 10 inches. <10" means less than 10 inches.
    I’m 49. I wear trifocals. I’m on an iPhone and I really am dyslexic.

Thanks for pointing out and I’ve corrected.

But about the back pressure you mention. I understand your point. But my experience with it says that’s insignificant. My shorties definitely cycled significantly harder when using the SB2 suppressor versus not suppressed prior to the vented blocks being installed.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 04-11-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have rc 556 regular size and mini and use them both on regular length and sbr with no issues

I am not sure what the differences between one and two are

I know the difference with rc and sb is sb is specifically for short barrel rifles

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I’m 49. I wear trifocals. I’m on an iPhone and I really am dyslexic.

Thanks for pointing out and I’ve corrected.

But about the back pressure you mention. I understand your point. But my experience with it says that’s insignificant. My shorties definitely cycled significantly harder when using the SB2 suppressor versus not suppressed prior to the vented blocks being installed.
    NP, your wording confused me, and I've seen some folks argue that the SB means that optimized for any shorty, including 10.5s or 11.5s, and that the standard RCs are only good for down to 14.5" or some other nonsense.

As for the back pressure issue, I totally believe that there is still a significant difference between the SB and unsuppressed, and that the difference in back pressure been the SB and RC is probably minor, but that doesn't mean some marketing hack ran with this technicality. It would probably be best for someone to actually call into SureFire and ask (they're usually not great about emails, IME).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 04-11-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The SB wasn't designed for the 416, it was designed for the G36C with its 9" barrel. The RC is fine down to 10.3". Surprisingly, my SB has significantly less back pressure than my Mini.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

The FA556-212 was developed from the FA556K specifically for 10.4" HK416s, and the H9 buffer was also designed for them.

The SOCOM-RC series is [supposedly] a product improved version of the FA556-212, and the RC2 a further development of the RC.

I do not know what specific weapon the SB was designed for, but the folks at Surefire have often voiced their frustration with people insisting on putting cans (and often even Mini and Micro suppressors) on short SBRs, warranties be damned--stability is not the only problem with barrels that short, so it makes sense that they built a suppressor to accommodate this kind of use.

The 762-MINI is simply not a great pairing with a 10" gun, HK or not--but luckily, the SOCOM556-RC family will be just fine on a 10" 416.

~Augee

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I have the original RC. Yup, machining/welding was the big difference + the slightly modify end cap IIRC. I bought the RC specifically for my 416 build. Although the SF webpage no longer mentions it, these are rated down to a approx 10-10.5" barrel length. I'd have to check the manual since I can't remember the exact length of the top of my head. Getting old sucks!

I was aware that the SB's were designed for frangible/unstable ammo (green tip?) out of <10" barrels. The larger bore reduces the chance of baffle strikes and keyholing. But I didn't know about the G36C connection...very interesting!

I'm not a physicist/engineer or high-speed operator type. I just figured SF made some internal changes to venting and baffle design to reduce backpressure. The slightly larger bore probably reduces internal pressure to some degree but it wasn't what I was getting at per say.

Wouldn't a larger pressure vessel (i.e. one with more internal volume) reduce backpressure over a smaller vessel like the 556 Mini??? Seems counterintuitive to me...

Thanks for all the answers! Hope I'm not the only one who wonders these things. 🤣
    Last edited by IsaacL; 04-14-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMFdarkangel View Post
    Wouldn't a larger pressure vessel (i.e. one with more internal volume) reduce backpressure over a smaller vessel like the 556 Mini??? Seems counterintuitive to me...
    🤣
    I'm of the understanding that all else being equal, the more baffles/length, the more back pressure. So, the RC should have more back pressure than the Mini. The SB, while the same length at the RC, has much less than the Mini, so perhaps the bore makes a significant difference?

Sponsored Links