HK416 buffer weights?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HK416 buffer weights?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default HK416 buffer weights?

I've spent weeks looking for an answer to this question. There are a several different weight values floating around but I've found nothing definitive. I also checked all my HK armorer's manuals with no luck.

Just out of curiousity, I decided to weigh my HK buffers and was surprised to discover that they are all different! The food scale I have is pretty cheap so I pulled the buffers from all of my rifles to confirm accuracy. These are the buffer weights I below. As you can see, the values for the known non-HK buffers appear to be spot on.

KAC SR-15 = 2.96oz (84g)
    H = 3.80oz (108g)
    H = 3.80oz (108g)
    416 AF = 4.50oz (128g)
    416 BA = 4.85oz (137g)
    MR556A1 = 5.00oz (142g)

While I'm not the original owner, all the HK buffers appear to be tungsten powder filled and they all have the red dot and "HK" marking. There are some minor cosmetic differences but I have no reason to doubt they are genuine HK buffers.

The springs also appear to be different. The lengths vary (likely due to wear) and the BA 416 spring is very silver with absolutely no trace of residual red paint. Even the very worn AF spring still has bits of red paint if you look closely and the MR556 spring looks brand new.

So the question is, did HK change their buffers over the years? Were some springs not painted?
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SMFdarkangel View Post
    I've spent weeks looking for an answer to this question. There are a several different weight values floating around but I've found nothing definitive. I also checked all my HK armorer's manuals with no luck.

Just out of curiousity, I decided to weigh my HK buffers and was surprised to discover that they are all different! The food scale I have is pretty cheap so I pulled the buffers from all of my rifles to confirm accuracy. These are the buffer weights I below. As you can see, the values for the known non-HK buffers appear to be spot on.

KAC SR-15 = 2.96oz (84g)
    H = 3.80oz (108g)
    H = 3.80oz (108g)
    416 AF = 4.50oz (128g)
    416 BA = 4.85oz (137g)
    MR556A1 = 5.00oz (142g)

While I'm not the original owner, all the HK buffers appear to be tungsten powder filled and they all have the red dot and "HK" marking. There are some minor cosmetic differences but I have no reason to doubt they are genuine HK buffers.

The springs also appear to be different. The lengths vary (likely due to wear) and the BA 416 spring is very silver with absolutely no trace of residual red paint. Even the very worn AF spring still has bits of red paint if you look closely and the MR556 spring looks brand new.

So the question is, did HK change their buffers over the years? Were some springs not painted?

Can't comment on the buffers; that's news to me. I've got half a dozen at the moment and you've got me curious where mine fall in weight; however, all of mine were sourced from HK between 2009-2011.

Regarding the springs, my first 416's all had one end painted red. Subsequent springs in later years had a red stripe down the center. And yeah, the overall length of springs even sourced at the same time varied about 1/4" in overall length.

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One of mine weighs about 4.6 oz., the other is about 4.9 oz. I'm thinking it's probably due to the fact that its powder vice inserts as shaking them side by side one is noticeably fuller than the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

this is interesting. I guess I can understand some buffer weight differences from the different generations, but I would expect them all to be the same coming from the same time frame and same model. We generally don't see A5 variants here, or the French and Dutch models, all of which are slightly different in one way or another from the original 416D's we have here....
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

...'tiss true and you should weigh your each of your buffers... Recoil springs also factor into the equation as well as your gas port and barrel length. Heck, even the weight of your carrier plays into how well your gun cycles. It's why some will note the direction of your ejected brass as an indication of over/under gassing. Typically shorter barrels and suppressed guns will need heavier buffers, but other things come into play like the relations of where your gas port is to the crown of your barrel and gas port size.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Inspired by this thread, I weighed a few buffers in my workshop as well:

- New H2 131g
    - Used HK416 133g (unknown round count)
    - Used HK416 148g (maybe 50 rounds)
    - New H3 153g

It seems to me that I could use either an H2 or H3 buffer and an OEM action spring and be fine, yet most folks with solid HK416 experience insist I need to use an OEM buffer as well.

What am I missing?

Is there a point (round count, weight?) where the HK buffer becomes unserviceable? Is there a spring length where I should swap out action springs?

I like the idea of being able to use a more readily available part (anybody try to source an HK buffer lately?!), but only if I can do so without damaging my rifle.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I weighed a few buffers in my workshop as well:

- New H2 131g
    - Used HK416 133g (unknown round count)
    - Used HK416 148g (maybe 50 rounds)
    - New H3 153g

It seems to me that I could use either an H2 or H3 buffer and an OEM action spring and be fine, yet most folks with solid HK416 experience insist I need to use an OEM buffer as well.

What am I missing?

Is there a point (round count, weight?) where the HK buffer becomes unserviceable? Is there a spring length where I should swap out action springs?

I like the idea of being able to use a more readily available part (anybody try to source an HK buffer lately?!), but only if I can do so without damaging my rifle.
    I am interested in any input as well. Will be watching for knowledge sharing.
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 0311/8152 - TX AIR GUARD SECURITY FORCES CATM
    Hidden Content

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I picked up an H9 recently. I'm hoping to test it this weekend in my vented 416 SBR. Running the OG SOCOM RC can as well. Should be interesting.

FYI, surefire says they've discontinued the H9 so if you want one, now's the time to move. The last I heard, they had a couple in stock if you call the 800 number.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Did you happen to test the H9 out with the vented GB? Interested in results

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacL View Post
    I picked up an H9 recently. I'm hoping to test it this weekend in my vented 416 SBR. Running the OG SOCOM RC can as well. Should be interesting.

FYI, surefire says they've discontinued the H9 so if you want one, now's the time to move. The last I heard, they had a couple in stock if you call the 800 number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use an H3 + stock HK buffer spring on MR556, works great suppressed and non

Plan to use H or H2 on cut down 10.4 MR556 with 16" (large vent) gas block. My rationale is the lighter buffer will offset the reduced gas pressure. More to follow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links