Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Default Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....

Ok, apologies for ignorance here, I'm appealing to the experts to educate me.

The goal: Build as close to a 416 (semi version) that any dirty civvie without millions of dollars is able to do.

The materials to be used once gathered: 10.5" 416 upper & MR556 lower

The plan: SBR the MR556 lower and mate it to the 416 upper.

The question: The lower is going to be put through the process to become a registered SBR. Is it permissible to take that lower and have it cosmetically refinshed/repainted, etc. with 416 lower markings? Nothing will change mechanically of course, purely a paint/engraving job. What are the rules around this? No big deal? Done all the time? Asking for trouble?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Stock/borrowed pics added to show the desired outcome.

Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....-handk-mr556-a1-competition-5-56-nato_100861557_9139_98d45fcd257f6184.jpgCloning a 416 lower - School me up....-hk416_lower_fullauto_hk_gehaeuseunterteil_vollauto.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its been done quite a bit.

Laser engraving isn't even looked at in the ATFs eyes. It doesn't meet the requirements.
    So reanodize and laser etch all you want.
    stnmikita, stnmikita and stnmikita like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdan87 View Post
    Its been done quite a bit.

Laser engraving isn't even looked at in the ATFs eyes. It doesn't meet the requirements.
    So reanodize and laser etch all you want.
    Reanodizing? I didn’t know that was possible. Any links on how it’s done? I have a DD Mk18 lower that I have my 10.4” 416 upper on(it’s tax stamped). I’m wanting to get the upper and my lower tanodized.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....-6d2fc566-228a-4b4d-9727-e0c3c113a48d_1538320475503.jpeg  

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Here is one with Spikes "No logo" lower. The new ones the moved almost all the stampings on the other side. Down side you can put very little on the right side. They also will Cerakote them now, this is Stealth Black. Cheap way to go 50.00 cheaper to leave it anodized.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    - Abraham Lincoln

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by axehole View Post
    Here is one with Spikes "No logo" lower. The new ones the moved almost all the stampings on the other side. Down side you can put very little on the right side. They also will Cerakote them now, this is Stealth Black. Cheap way to go 50.00 cheaper to leave it anodized.

Looks nice. Who did the HK / binary trigger markings? Might have to look into that.. I'm not really an AR guy, but the advantages of registering a lower as a pistol, and being able to move it around to rifle and back legally is something I could use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2pc37 View Post
    Reanodizing? I didn’t know that was possible. Any links on how it’s done? I have a DD Mk18 lower that I have my 10.4” 416 upper on(it’s tax stamped). I’m wanting to get the upper and my lower tanodized.
    Tan anodizing is a dime a dozen. Some people who can Type III hardcoat will just strip the black and anodize it clear which can give it a grey/tan/bronze look. Depends on how the planets align.
    Type II tan is easier, but you don't get the hardness of Type III.

Black is easy for hardcoat anodizing.

There a few who will anodize for a good price. A lot won't even give you service for low volume or won't even touch firearms or won't even touch HK lowers because it's HK and they are in their own world saying that re anodizing an HK lower black to remove the laser etching will not be as black as HK black. It all looks the same to me. YMMV

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Good luck finding an anodizer. Only know of a handful of people who have been successful finding a professional to do their uppers and lowers in Tan/RAL8000/Clear and they’ve never been willing to share their contacts.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

@stnmikita I wish I could help you, but I've only ever had the HK9x series remarked (by TSC and TPM Outfitters) which only involved welding/stamping. No experience with the 416/MR556. There are a lot of closed lips on this issue. No one has a problem talking about remarking the HK91/93/94/SP5K and who dun it, but in my experience the 416 remark seems like a grey area in discussion for some reason.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

You can re-mark all you want, just never remove an original serial number. People do it all the time with SL8 to G36 or XM8 conversions. Hahaha
    IsaacL, stnmikita, IsaacL and 3 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Librarian
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Default Cloning a 416 lower - School me up....

If you got the cash, you can remark your MR556 lower.
    Last edited by Oicani; 11-13-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    "...but just like every other clone, they are copies of the original and copies are never as good as the original."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links