14.5 416 Mk262 chrono and BDC surprise
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 14.5 416 Mk262 chrono and BDC surprise

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Default 14.5 416 Mk262 chrono and BDC surprise

Did a hasty chrono of Mk 262 mod 1 out of a 14.5" 416...
    2505fps average for 10 rounds.

Curiously enough, my AB range card data for the slower 77gr, perfectly matched my BDC cam for M855 green tip on my optic. Looks like that optic will stay married to that gun; going out tomorrow with steel to confirm...
    Dinsdale_Piranha likes this.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Excellent!!!

Tony

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

It seems like you prefer the 14.5" over the 10" 416 based on what you have written recently. Is that a correct assumption? Is it because of velocity or any particular reason? Do you keep a suppressor on the rifle or mainly use a rifle without being suppressed? I actually enjoy reading and learning from your post.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    Did a hasty chrono of Mk 262 mod 1 out of a 14.5" 416...
    2505fps average for 10 rounds.

Curiously enough, my AB range card data for the slower 77gr, perfectly matched my BDC cam for M855 green tip on my optic. Looks like that optic will stay married to that gun; going out tomorrow with steel to confirm...
    Quote Originally Posted by 4C Dragon View Post
    It seems like you prefer the 14.5" over the 10" 416 based on what you have written recently. Is that a correct assumption? Is it because of velocity or any particular reason? Do you keep a suppressor on the rifle or mainly use a rifle without being suppressed? I actually enjoy reading and learning from your post.
    What he ^^^^ said. I enjoy reading this stuff, because I currently do not have access to that stuff...yet. Yet being the operative word

Please report back. Thanks for the info!!!!
    A redneck's famous last words...."Hey everybody, watch this!"

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad4065 View Post
    because I currently do not have access to that stuff...
    What stuff? Don't you have a "safe full" of MR556's and 416 uppers...space to shoot that M24 setup? Gas up your stuff and go shoot some sh!t. #GetYouSome
    Brad4065 likes this.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4C Dragon View Post
    That is correct.

It's mostly a ballistics issue. Even if NFA were repealed today and HK USA started cranking out 10.4, 11.5, 14, 16, 20" full-on 416 spec copies tomorrow, I probably roll mostly with a couple 14.5 or 16 guns, and maybe have shorty for grins. For what I do with the guns, the ammo I shoot out of it at the distances I have...14.5" makes more sense for me given the available options at this point.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Ok, so everything worked out pretty well. After double-checking my BDC, I noted it was in meters; everything I did today was ranged off of yards but it worked out fine.

Temps started off in the high 40's, low 50's
    Wind was straight out of the East/NE (at 80 degrees from position)from 10-14mph with a few odd gusts 18-20mph a few times (one is illustrated pretty well)
    I set 2/3 scale IPSC steel (12x20") at 200, 300, and 400y and later moved my firing point back 50y to get on at 250, 350, and 450y
    Since the whole point of the BDC is efficiency, wind holds were pure guess work since I didn't check them with the Kestrel until after firing.
    40 rounds fired, 40 hits on steel

200/250y
    With BDC dialed, 200y was spot-on. I was playing with about wind hold on the right 1/3rd of the target (straight down from the right edge of the head). After confirmation, all subsequent 200y shots were on the 4x4" head section.

250y Point of aim was above the water mark, below the head

300/350y

Wind hold for 300/350y was perfect with the exception of one strong gust that came up while I was at 350y. My firing point at the 250,350,450 was blocked from the wind so I had to base my wind call off what the trees behind my position were doing...mostly by sound. Wind hold was about 0.9-1.1 mils
    Pretty happy with this target

400/450y

I have no idea which hits are which. Pretty happy with vertical dispersion compared to the water mark. My 1.6ish mil hold was apparently plenty aggressive for that distance. With limited magnification, I had trouble tracking my hits save for the dark grouping below, right of the water mark.

Pretty good day with this setup. Given how much of a pain in the ass it was to set up these targets in a chiseled (plowed) field, I didn't push farther. With today's wind, 500y under today's conditions would be starting to push the limits if trying to maintain a high hit probability. On a calmer day with a full-size IPSC, I'm sure 600/650 (650m is the max BDC) wouldn't be hard, but I'm very pleased with the above considering it was all done without electronics.
    Dinsdale_Piranha likes this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Brother, you never cease to amaze me. that is impressive, and it is good to hear the hold offs work for your gun/glass combo.
    dms16 likes this.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCSO264 View Post
    Brother, you never cease to amaze me. that is impressive, and it is good to hear the hold offs work for your gun/glass combo.
    Not bad for piddly little 4x scope. But brother, you ain't seen nothin' yet. This was just d!cking around with AR stuff on my day off. Pick a hold, point, click..."boom...clang"...nothing too serious.

You ought to see me when I get the AI's out and s#it gets serious....

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)

Nice placement--- 1M = 1.09361YDS!!!
    Is that the field from "Children of the Corn"?

Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links