Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

PM sent
    Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post
    Who machined/finished his lower?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The roll pin hole is drilled for the retainer. I have all three pieces to make it work as hk intended (retainer, spring and roll pin). Just needed clarification that the hk retainer is larger in OD than a standard ar15 retainer. Looks like I'm going to have to ream or drill this hole a little to get it functioning correctly.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

@dms16 is correct on two fronts. I've gone down this road. The HK retainer is slightly larger in diameter than a mil-spec retainer. If there is not a whole drilled for the roll-pin that holds the HK style retainer in place, it will not work; the roll-pin holds the HK retainer down at the right height. Without the roll-pin the retainer sits too high, and the carrier beats the hell out of it. If you look at the HK retainer, you see a relief cut in it, the relief shelf is what rests on the roll-pin. So, regardless of his 80% forging, if the roll-pin hole was not drilled, he will have to use a Mil-Spec retainer, which uses the edge of the receiver extension to keep the retainer in place. To my knowledge, the only company using this method of retainer and roll-pin combo is HK.

I am curious if the Brownell's forgings will have the roll-pin hole drilled, so the heavier HK retainer can be used? I thought about this when I first read about Brownell's releasing the forgings.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

well, I see @Belted addressed the issues I brought up while I was writing my post.....

I can say this, the HK retainer is slightly, and I mean very slightly larger. In my case I initially believed it was a matter of some of the finish (Cerekote) getting into the hole. However, yours is still in the white, so that is obviously not the issue. that is a good looking lower..... I would very gently and slowly work it by hand, it is that slight of a difference. that was my experience with a mil-spec lower, anyway.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

I stand corrected. 6.5mm is what the hole should be in diameter.

An extra special thank you goes out to @dms16 . The thing that is great about hkpro is that everyone who knows someone can help people out!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You're correct Nzfly. I ordered a 6.5 mm bit tonight. I'll update when I redrill.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Update. Received a 6.5mm but from McMaster that actually mic'd at 6.43. After alot of slow going and measuring I ended up drilling tpna depth of 18.68 mm. The retainer fits with a slip fit with no wobble and bottoms out in the hole just shy of flush with the buffer tube. 18.6 even would have been perfect but my mk1 mod 0 eyeball was off a little. Either way, there you go: for the 80% builders the retainer hole for using an hk retainer is 6.5mm bit drilled to 18.6ish mm.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

this is cool. I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. then you just have to get that tiny roll pin in, to hold the retainer in place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I find it easier to drive pins in after I heat the part (not the pins) to 300-400 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LCSO264 View Post
    this is cool. I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. then you just have to get that tiny roll pin in, to hold the retainer in place.
    I'm a bit concerned about that part as well. Lower is out for anodozing. When I get it back I'll assemble and report back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links