MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RegularGuy461969 View Post
    I’ve only taken my 12” 417 barreled 762 out to 200. But it loves RUAG 168 grain Swiss P Target. I imagine it would maintain stability out much further. I also had no issues with RUAG Swiss P 176gr FMJ. But the 168gr Target is the tits for my set-up and I imagine it would be for most rifles.
    @Drooler , what round were you using when you shot your chopped 762 out to 1000yrds?
    I was using Black Hills 175gr OTM when I took the class with Accuracy 1st a few years ago.

I did test out Berger 168gr, 175gr and 185gr ammo a few weeks after the class, but that was only 100M shots. I asked Berger if the would custom make ammo that would have the same BC as their regular ammo, but at higher velocity exiting a shorty 13” barrel. They ran the numbers and over a few quick but polite email exchanges they informed me that the chamber pressure would be dangerously high for the velocity I wanted. : (

That class was my second time I shot long distance so I’ll be candid it that I was shocked I was making roughly 50% of my shots at E-type sihoulette target out to 1,000M. Then again, Todd did mention that outside of wind call, everything is down to a science these days. So it shouldn’t hav been a surprise with the right equipment (laser range finder, kestrel, good ammo that had consistent velocity with small ES and tight SD, good optic, etc.).

With regards to barrel twist, Pete Gould (30yr Green Beret vet and Green Beret sniper instructor. And Accuracy 1st instructor) told us that the ideal 308 barrel would be 1 in 8” twist. I’m assuming him and Todd know what they are talking about. : )

It is sad that HK won’t sell us a SBR 13” HK417 in semi only with 1 in 8” twist. I would pay good $$ for it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You you were positively or negatively shocked. 50% hits at 1000 meters sounds pretty damned good to me.
    Would you rather vote for or against buying the HK regardless of twist?
    Last edited by IT-Sniper; 11-23-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IT-Sniper View Post
    What i was told from HK is: the G28 was to be used with a Special ammo. But instead the german army issues standard ball ammo to the troops. A budget thing is my guess. The twist rate seems to be better suited for those 147grs bullets.
    That is true. They use G28 with 147gr FMJ ammo designated for battle rifle and machine gun use. And HK guarantee every G28 to be better than 1.5 MOA with this ammo, shooting from bipod.

So what happens when we put 175gr Fiocchi in 16.5" G28 and shoot it from bipod with no rear support? This happens:

2x3 shots and 2x2 shots when I was working to zero it at 100m with heavy ammo:

3 shots to confirm zero on next day as weather changed significantly (1x1cm grid on this RWS zeroing target):

And this was my 800m training target (10 shots fired). First one I ever shot with this rifle on this distance and I'm NOT a long range shooter, so I messed up my wind completelly.

BTW This particular G28 was made in 2012 and is HK demo gun, so it has tons of ammo put trough it already.

More pictures here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmd77PV5
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great pics. I more and moretend towards buying that rifle. Did you ever try 800 meters again

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

No. I had this rifle only for few days and military range we used is not normally accessible. I rarely shoot over 100m. But here are my 2 targets from 600m. I mostly struggled with wind - lack of experience shows. Also I did not have good scope dope, as I just zeroed on 100m, went to shoot 300m once (10 shots) and made 300m my new zero and then just used what Strelok showed.

Last edited by Montrala; 11-23-2018 at 01:38 PM.
    RegularGuy461969 and LCSO264 like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So my conclusion: no worries using 175grs bullets in MR308.
    Any other opinions?

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

So my conclusion: no worries using 175grs bullets in MR308.
    Any other opinions?
    This why I keep coming back to Pro! Looks like your questions are answered.

As for my groups, if I recall correctly I had 1” groups with Swiis P 168gr Target ammo at 200 on a 12” barrel and 1.25” on the Swiss P FMJ 176gr. I was sub MOA with both at 100.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes question is answered. Thanks to all for your input

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes question is answered. Thanks to all for your input
    PS - my results are more from the ammo and the rifle and a lot less my abilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Regarding ultra fast twist in 308, apparently it is not a settled issue:

USMC twist rate test? | Sniper's Hide Forum

Even with short barrels and low muzzle velocity (which are not nearly ideal for LR shooting anyway).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links