MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy

HKPro Professional

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Frank's a good guy, but I think his statement "the military listened to the wrong guys and tried over twisting everything" is a bit misleading. Lots of factors come into play, it's not as simple as saying fast twists don't shoot well at close range. It's kind of like the whole DI guns being more accurate than piston guns argument. I've seen very inaccurate DI guns and very accurate piston guns, and vice versa. There's been testing, lots of testing, much of which isn't available to the general public. There are a number of organizations that have tested and vetted the fast twist concept over the course of several YEARS. They didn't just listen to some chump off the street and take their word for it.

For a 12" gun, I wouldn't go any slower the 1:8" twist, for both exterior and terminal ballistic benefits. Doesn't mean a slower twist will be inaccurate, but it won't offer the same benefits as a fast twist from such a short barrel length.

Tspeis
    Montrala and Drooler like this.

HKPRO Professional
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

This is an interesting post.
    HK91
    HK94
    USC/UMP
    SL8/G36
    P7M8
    P9s .45acp
    VP70Z
    USP Tactical .45acp
    V51/HK51 clone
    HK45
    HK45c
    HK 416 10.5" upper
    GSG5PK
    P30Ls
    HK45T (OD Green)
    VP9
    CR556A1
    P30SKs
    SP5K

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IT-Sniper View Post
    You you were positively or negatively shocked. 50% hits at 1000 meters sounds pretty damned good to me.
    Would you rather vote for or against buying the HK regardless of twist?
    I was positively surprised.

One of my threads was an AAR of the class. My buddy was videoed making a 1,000M shot even though he had never shot farther than 100M in his life (mostly deer hunting).

I own two MR762s. One I left at the original barre length. The other I chop down to 13”. Love dem both.

Beat of luck to you bro. Hope u enjoy your HK!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Read some tests on Sig 716 with their 10‘‘ twist. They seem to the get their best results with 168 grs bullets. Just like the HK. Groups were sometimes opening up with heavier bullets.
    So a 10‘‘ twist does not seem to be a guarantee for better groups with heavier bullets.

I think I will go for the MR.
    It feels and looks like much better quality compared to the 716.
    @Drooler : do you have link to your thread? I‘d like to read it.

Thanks again to all for helping me making a decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I have shot FGMM SMK 175s in my HK MR762A1 past 900 yards and consistently achieve over a 70% hit rate on 16" metal plate in low wind. However, when shooting past 950 yards, I switch to the Hornady Superformance 168 Grain ELD Match due to its higher speed and better BC. If the wind picks up, I put the HK away and switch to my bolt action 6.5 creedmoor. On both rifles I use a Vortex Razor hd gen ii 4.5-27x56 mounted on a Geissele 20 MOA mount and Atlas Bipod. Under 600 yards, I use the FGMM SMK 168 grain.
    Drooler and THRLSEKR like this.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I keep wanting to try out the 175 FGMM SMK's but the 168 FGMM SMK and BH 168 SMK's do so well out of my MR762. I got a 20MOA super precision mount for the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 and I'm hoping to stretch out the range a bit. It really does love the 168's so I'm on the fence on what to zero the rifle with. I've also got a huge cache of 168's and zero 175's so that might make the decision for me. And realistically I'm not sure I'll ever be able to shoot at 1000 yards. We'll see.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If it's an HK I probably want one.

I BACK THE BLUE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I totally agree on the 168s....shoots great out the MR762A1. That is what I have my Vortex Razor zeroed with. The FGMM 175s hit 1" higher at 100 yards. The Hornady Superformance 168 ELD-M have same zero as the FGMM 168s.....so not a big deal with any of these, easy math. On the Ballistic AE app, you can even set the offset so when you pull up the 175s it will subtract 1 MOA from what you need to dial. I primarily have 168s.....both Hornady and Federal. The Federal is cheaper, so I only use the hornady for longer shots.

I tried the Black Hills 175s when I first got the rifle and they did not work as well for me as the FGMM. They were ~100 ft/s slower than the FGMM 175s and had a higher Standard Deviation. I may give them a try again and re-clock them. I just picked up a Lab Radar on sale at Brownell's for $450 so I will compare with the measurements I had from my Magnetospeed.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IT-Sniper View Post
    Read some tests on Sig 716 with their 10‘‘ twist. They seem to the get their best results with 168 grs bullets. Just like the HK. Groups were sometimes opening up with heavier bullets.
    So a 10‘‘ twist does not seem to be a guarantee for better groups with heavier bullets.

I think I will go for the MR.
    It feels and looks like much better quality compared to the 716.
    @Drooler : do you have link to your thread? I‘d like to read it.

Thanks again to all for helping me making a decision.
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk...-1st-part.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting read. Thank you very much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today I told my boss the MR308 is mine. He agreed. Now , besides my MK23, I am a proud owner of a HK firearm. Pics to follow. Thanks to all for your help and advice
    caf82313 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links