MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MR762 12‘‘ twist vs. accuracy

Hi,

I am new to this forum and will introduce myself later on.
    Right now i have an urgent question.

In the gunshop were i am helping we received a brand new MR308-G28 with 20‘‘ barrel (MR308 is what the MR762 is called here in Germany).
    Usually you have to wait for over a year to get one.
    Some customers are interested and so am i.

What bothers me is the 12‘‘ inch twist.

Sig , DPMS, Savage all offer barrels with a 10‘‘ inch twist.
    I asked HK when i was at their plant in Oktober for retailer training. The answer was because it doesn‘t matter until 600 Meter and only a little beyond that.

I already own two .308 semis. One with 12‘‘ inch twist, one with 11‘‘. Up to 100 Meter i get about 32mm groups with 175grs smk and about 25 to 28mm with 155grs smk from the 12‘‘ twist barrel. So no worry here. But that barrel is 26‘‘ inches long so i can achieve a good V0.

How tollerant is the MR762 to bullet weights of 175grs or more and to long bullets like lead free bullets? Can anybody provide Information. I am not interested in hunting accuracy because i do not hunt. The gun will only be used for competition.
    I don‘t want to spend a lot of money and then being disappointed.

I call this urgent because if a customer is willing to buy i will have to sell it and wait for the next one.

Thanks for your help and greetings from Germany
    Mike

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

In my opinion, twist rate is to stabalize a projectile. A proper length bullet for a 1in12 could be very accurate.

Buy it and find the ammo/bullet it likes.

The Importance of Twist Rates - Shooting Times

JBM - Calculations - Stability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are right about twist rate and stabilization.

But this particular rifle is damn expensive here. So buy and try is not really an option.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Speed loss between 26" and 20" is not significant. Have a look there: https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/308...ty-28-to-16-5/

As to accuracy. I know guy who consistently shoots sub 0.5MOA (and frequently goes even sub 0.25MOA) with hand loads form his 16.5" MR308.

For our review in STRAŁpl my colleague was shootig 20" MR308A3-28 from Caldwell polymer shooting rest (nothing fancy) and with Lapua Semi Auto 11,0g (170gr) he got 14.991mm (0.515 MOA) group "just like that". Sellier & Bellot HPBT Match 10,9 g (168 gr) was 25.388 (0.873 MOA), GGG Full Metal Jacket 9,65 g (147 gr) 23.392mm (0.804 MOA), GGG Hollow Point Boat Tail 11,3 g (175 gr) 26.667mm (0.917 MOA), Sako Speedhead FMJ 8,0 g (123 gr) 44.309mm (1.524 MOA). All measurements made using OnTarget Calc.

Basically I there is something you can get from semi-auto .308win, you can get it from MR308. Limitations are in cartridge, not in rifle. That is why there are fancy, bench rest 6mm-ish and 7mm-ish cartridges, that for that purpose perform better than good, old .308win.
    RegularGuy461969 and TiroFijo like this.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Current: SFP9SD-SF, P2000SK, MR223A3 11.5"
    Past: P30L, P2000, P30, P7M13, Expert, G3 (MKE T41), HK45C, MR223 16.5"/14.5", SFP9-SF
    I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Hornady, Khales & Typhoon Defence brands in Poland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Montrala,

This is what i was looking (and hoping) for.
    I consider any semi auto that shoots 30mm groups or better as very good for me. Smaller groups are for my bench rest rifles.

Has anyone recorded groops with the MR762 at Ranges of 600 yards or more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@Montrala :
    I have been in the same room where your Avatar photo was taken.
    A Photo of me with the G11 that looks very similar was taken too :-)
    I really did not want to leave this room ... 😎

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

What I don’t understand, well at least one of the many things I don’t understand about HK marketing and production policy, is why did they release 1/11” twist on the US released MR762 LRP only? Just seems like a dumb production decision with today’s precision ammunition. I would think they would do it across the board to handle heavier projectiles. Maybe the difference is too negligible, but I’d prefer a tighter twist as I gravitate to heavier projectiles. I hate the 147gr FMJ NATO rounds. I have them as surplus only due to inconsistent performance within batches (mine are S&B).
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What i was told from HK is: the G28 was to be used with a Special ammo. But instead the german army issues standard ball ammo to the troops. A budget thing is my guess. The twist rate seems to be better suited for those 147grs bullets. I heard that from a few other sources too.
    No hard facts from my side on this. Never had a chance to talk to somebody who was actually deployed and issued a G28 or HK417

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now you can the my problem. At my shop the MR762 stands right beside a Sig 716 Patrol. The Sig looks and feels cheap but accepts magpul mags and has a twist of 10‘‘. The HK is one marvel of engineering but only 12“ twist and is 500 bucks more.
    If there is no problem shooting 175grs FGMM from the HK then I am fine. That is why I am asking for information on that.
    People here mostly use 168grs ammo and most hunters are ok if the put rounds in a 10cm circle at 100meters.
    Montralas post really helped but does anybody have facts on what to expect beyond 300 or 600 yards from the HK with bullets heavier than 168grs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What group size did you shoot with 168 and 176 grs???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links