Is the flashhider difficult to remove from a MR762? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is the flashhider difficult to remove from a MR762?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok.

I'll do a follow-up, once I have the rifle, and removed the flash hider. To let you know how it went, and what I found.

Sheepdog in West Texas

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Just an FYI

In gunsmithing school we had a 'barrel holding jig' type of device. It was a piece of milled steel that LOOSELY fit You put that around the barrel, fill it with molten lead. Let the lead cool. You now have a captive barrel that you can mount in a vice without marring the barrel

When you are DONE working on the barrel - ie you have removed the receiver or in your case, the flash hider - then you crack the outer steel mold off and then the hardened lead will come right off without harming the barrel. I can not say how it effects nitride finish though. I always worked on blued weapons.

Looks kinda like this type from Brownells...

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod25125.aspx
    Last edited by wallew; 01-18-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Protect and defend against all enemies, both foreign and domestic

A rattlesnake in the living room ends all discussion of animal rights.

"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, but sometimes he subcontracts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mine came off relatively easily, I wanted to replace it with an OSS Comp QD so I could use the OSS 762 QD Suppressor. I asked HK tech support and their suggestion was that vs constant pressure to "tap" the wrench with a hammer to loosen it. I removed the hand guard and clamped the barrel down relatively close to the flash suppressor. To protect the barrel, I routed a grove on a 2x4 and put that on my bench vise. I then heated the flash hider with a heat gun for a few minutes, put a wrench on it and gave it a couple of sharp taps. It loosened up. If I wasn't heating it, I would have used some of the plastic vise inserts...

For my AR-15, I have a magpul mag block. It fits into the lugs in the receiver and locks in place so you can torque the barrel...with that it takes seconds to remove and install flash hiders, Of course it doesn't fit HKs.... Geissele also makes one that slides in from the back of the receiver in place of the BCG......it is basically a long solid piece of metal that fits into the lugs. The back is square so it can be locked into the vise. If I were going to make a tool, I would make something like that.....Seems like there may be a market for that. Geissele sells their piece of metal for AR-15s for ~ $100.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkuser9817 View Post
    Mine came off relatively easily, I wanted to replace it with an OSS Comp QD so I could use the OSS 762 QD Suppressor. I asked HK tech support and their suggestion was that vs constant pressure to "tap" the wrench with a hammer to loosen it. I removed the hand guard and clamped the barrel down relatively close to the flash suppressor. To protect the barrel, I routed a grove on a 2x4 and put that on my bench vise. I then heated the flash hider with a heat gun for a few minutes, put a wrench on it and gave it a couple of sharp taps. It loosened up. If I wasn't heating it, I would have used some of the plastic vise inserts...

For my AR-15, I have a magpul mag block. It fits into the lugs in the receiver and locks in place so you can torque the barrel...with that it takes seconds to remove and install flash hiders, Of course it doesn't fit HKs.... Geissele also makes one that slides in from the back of the receiver in place of the BCG......it is basically a long solid piece of metal that fits into the lugs. The back is square so it can be locked into the vise. If I were going to make a tool, I would make something like that.....Seems like there may be a market for that. Geissele sells their piece of metal for AR-15s for ~ $100.
    Mandrel/reaction rods.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Maybe these difficulties will finally convince Geissele that there is a market and they will start producing a reaction rod for the MR762 community. I would be in for one to match the one I have for my MR223.
    caf82313 likes this.
    MR 308 A3 20"
    MR 308 A1
    MR 223 A1
    HK 243 S TAR
    HK USC .45
    USP Expert .45
    MK 23

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Took a bit of time to get all the paperwork in order. Drove to Germany thursday, and picked it up. Straight home and get ready for IWA. No exciting news from HK there, unfortunately.
    Anyway. It's just torqued to around 30 Nm. I removed it without problems, using a regular 17 mm wrench. No heat was nescessary. No damage to the finish on the flashhider.

I find it amusing that the german made MR's don't have that stupid "read manual before use" bullshit engraved.

Can't wait to shoot it. Have installed my DIY mount w. S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24 scope, and the UHL Match trigger. I need to make a new thread mount for the suppressor. It has the right thread, but my suppressor does not have the guide belt bwhind the thread.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dehavilland View Post
    Maybe these difficulties will finally convince Geissele that there is a market and they will start producing a reaction rod for the MR762 community. I would be in for one to match the one I have for my MR223.
    https://geissele.com/ar10-sr25-reaction-rod.html

Very Senior Member

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

from Geissele website *The Geissele AR10/ SR25 Reaction Rod is not compatible with the HK MR762 upper receiver

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanQ View Post
    from Geissele website *The Geissele AR10/ SR25 Reaction Rod is not compatible with the HK MR762 upper receiver
    Correct! I typically remove the barrel from the receiver assembly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Here you are screens from maintenance manual.
    I went to the gunsmith and he removed flash hider in couple of minutes.
    Cheers
    Witek

Sent from my mobile.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links