Is the flashhider difficult to remove from a MR762?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Is the flashhider difficult to remove from a MR762?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is the flashhider difficult to remove from a MR762?

Hi guys,

Long time lurker here.
    I've finally broken down, and coughed up the dough for a MR308-A3 28, and am currently waiting for the paperwork to be processed.

That means I do not have the rifle in hand yet. But I like being prepared. I will use my Ase Utra SL5 suppressor on it, which has the M15x1 threads already.
    I read somewhere, that the flashhider can be a pain to remove. Is there truth to that? Do I need to make a tool for fixturing the barrel? (I'm a toolmaker).

Please chime in.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Go ahead and make that tool....lol

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

I have gotten to where I boil all flash hiders and barrels before I attempt to remove. I use the same old shallow pot with 4-5” of boiling water for about 10 minutes with just above FH only submerged. I lean the upper against the back splash and let it sit. Carry it out to the shop and bingo, the FH comes off easy. Oil the bore, barrel and FH when I am finished.
    Last edited by 4C Dragon; 01-18-2019 at 12:24 AM.
    Anopstyx and THRLSEKR like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would never guess they come off that hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine came off easily-switched it out for a PWS flash hider https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/PWS-...X1-358p837.htm
    MR556A1
    MR762A1
    P30
    USP 9
    USP 9 Expert
    HK 45 Tactical FDE
    VP9

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

-Thomas Paine

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nexen View Post
    I've finally broken down, and coughed up the dough for a MR308-A3 28, and am currently waiting for the paperwork to be processed.
    There has been a significant change at HK regarding "MR308 A3" and "MR223 A3" regarding flash hiders.
    On previous generation guns, they were only torqued to about 25 to 35nm (~22 lbf ft). Current guns have a torque around 200nm (~150 lbf ft) on the flash hiders. It has now become a rather difficult process with danger of damaging the gun when not done properly due to the required forces involved. And of course you need to disassemble the handguard and piston.

You will need a very strong vise that can hold barrels/pipes to mount the barrel VERY FIRMLY in place, then use a heat gun to get the flash surpressor to cherry red WITHOUT heating the barrel (or cool it with wet towels near the muzzel. Then with a good tool and long lever, you can remove the flash hider without much issue. Even in Cherry hot, it may require a few slaps with a hammer on the end of the lever to loosen the flash hider.

Edit: above of course only holds valid for HK produced guns, not MR556 or MR762

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    There has been a significant change at HK regarding "MR308 A3" and "MR223 A3" regarding flash hiders.
    Use hellfire and other good stuff
    That is what I feared. I'll make a very tough barrel vice for it. And probably a overkill clamp tool for the flash hider too.

Do you know what the reason is, for tightening it with such excessive (to me) force?

Thanks for your inputs, everybody.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nexen View Post
    Do you know what the reason is, for tightening it with such excessive (to me) force?
    Yup. Loose flash hiders and people "hitting" them led to issues and HK having to pay new ones. Initial HK guns were not mounted with flash hiders, then flash hiders with low torque, then the high torque version.

Unrepentant HKHolic

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I always remove, clean threads and crown of barrel, lightly oil and replace muzzle devices on my rifles that have them on every cleaning. I get them hand tight. They never come off while shooting.

I've had to use wrenches and tools with a lot of torque to get stuck flash hiders off G36 fronts ends that came in from a PD or the like. My guess is they rarely, if ever remove them for cleaning and inspection, so the carbon build up becomes sort of a thread locker. I've been able to handle my G36K front ends with stock flash hiders, but had to take my G36C front end to a buddy who has a barrel vice to free it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

heat up with torch, come right off

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links