Piston Ring Question

Thread: Piston Ring Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Piston Ring Question

Hi guys, I replaced the rings on my 416 gas piston and now it doesn’t fit back in the block. Any advice/ideas on tightening the rings? (Pics unnecessary but I like it when others post them)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Piston Ring Question-7dfd2a15-eaa9-4301-85cc-128fa4299984_1548258405794.jpeg   Piston Ring Question-da81eb30-f59d-449e-9421-6344bc3ff615_1548258576943.jpeg  

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

First: Why did you replace your gas rings? There haven't been enough rounds through that gun to warrant replacement.

Second: How did you install the rings? Deformity is apparent.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

There is no reason to ever replace gas rings.
    German Army removed gas piston cleaning from G36 procedures because field units would regularly damage gas rings through cleaning, requiring replacement. Opposed to that, just not worrying about them AT ALL until the piston is being replaced is less problematic than regular cleaning.

I would suggest to replace your piston and your mangled rings with a new piston, install it and no longer worry about it. Then replace after 25.000 rounds.

End of story.

Edit:
    Also, what have you done to your piston? The geometry looks "off" and my brain says thats not a HK Piston, but I can only check in the evening. Also I have never seen a piston that shiny by HK. Did you sandblast the thing? Is it genuine?
    Last edited by baljar; 01-24-2019 at 12:16 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The titanium piston pictured didn’t come w rings so I purchased them from HK parts. They slid on easily but the ring gap widened just enough that as mentioned, it won’t go back in the block.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Addition, it’s not stock HK. IGFs recommendation Ti piston.

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Well so the problem is HKparts like "very often" is selling snakeoil parts that dont make sense except to their wallet. Go with a stock piston and not worry about it!
    YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    Well so the problem is HKparts like "very often" is selling snakeoil parts that dont make sense except to their wallet. Go with a stock piston and not worry about it!
    YMMV
    HKparts sells some junk yes (obviously there's a big clone market they service too) but they are always very clear on what's real HK stuff and what's not and they have a good reputation for delivering exactly what they promised.

The fault then is on the buyer.

Sponsored Links