Took my MR556 airborne
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Took my MR556 airborne

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Default Took my MR556 airborne

I had the opportunity to go on a hog elimination helicopter flight in Texas last month.

Took my MR556 airborne-img_20190118_092928.jpg

I took two rifles, my Tavor SAR and my MR556. I planned on mainly using the Tavor the entire time because I figured it would be much more maneuverable whilst shooting from a small helicopter and because it is much less front heavy when using a suppressor. I still took the HK as my back up gun because it is my typical go-to rifle.

Took my MR556 airborne-img_20190118_094730.jpg

Prior to this trip I had never shot from a moving platform before and I quickly learned that hitting moving targets while flying is not as easy as I thought it would be.

The very first target I engaged was actually a coyote and it took me over half of a 60 round drum before I finally killed it with the Tavor. Fortunately, the hogs were not quite as difficult to hit and after an hour or so I was landing many more shots. However, towards the end of the flight, the Tavor got jammed up pretty badly by a bad magazine after it ejected several rounds up into the action of the gun, so rather than wasting time clearing the malfunction I switched to the HK.

Took my MR556 airborne-img_20190118_092925.jpg

It just so happens that the first target we saw once I switched rifles was another coyote running full speed through an empty field, but this time as soon as the pilot turned the helicopter around I was able to get the rifle up and drop him immediately in one shot. I ended up shooting much better with the MR556 the remainder of the flight and I found it was plenty maneuverable and not too front heavy as long as I was not running the suppressor. Now I wish I had just used the HK the entire time!

I ended up taking 50 hogs and 4 coyotes in 2 hours and I shot around 500 rounds. It was also interesting flying over busy highways with rifle in my lap.

Took my MR556 airborne-img_20190118_093350.jpg
    Last edited by MasterBlaster; 02-14-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster;[URL="[URL
    tel:3488756[/URL]"]3488756[/URL]]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190118_093350.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	225728
    That is a couple hundred feet over the loop in Abilene. You are right over the north end of the Mall of Abilene. The building with the red sign at the top is right is next to a restaurant called “The flipping egg” ( the orange -yellowish writing to the left of the red sign.) ;)
    Who ran the service?
    Last edited by U.S. Praetorian; 02-18-2019 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

shooting from a helicopter? wow...

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Heyas MasterBlaster! Sounds like one heck of an experience! Definitely something to be able to brag about!! And as a shooter, a chance to work on a skillset that many people will not have the chance to experience, or work on.

I will say tho, that I dunno if I'd blame it all on the rifle. NOT to say that I'm saying that you should blame yourself. I remember watching a video some ten+ years back, about all the factors that get thrown in, when firing small arms from a moving vehicle. It included a bunch of variables (that I sadly have lost the facts about, thru the years) from both mobile, and stationary (but in operation) helicopters. Definitely don't count yourself short there, you overcame those factors pretty well, without knowing what they were, which military shooters have to take classes on, run drills, and practice at!

I'm sure that there's still vids of those kinds of shooting still around. But I do remember something to the effect of helicopters causing a lot of turbulence and downright screwy things to a small arm's bullet's flight trajectories.

But congratulations! That's definitely bragging rights! And a heck of a story to be able to tell people about!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by bastardsonofelvis Hidden Content
    Some people whine that HK doesn't put things out fast enough -- the same people that whine when something is put out before it's perfect. Some people just like to whine.

AGG
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

That is most excellent--- thanks for sharing!!!

Tony

Banned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Somewhere, I have a lead work up in Mils that incorporates forward throw out to 200m from 10-60KIAS for MK262 and M118LR. If I find it I’ll post it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Awesome fun! I would love to do that sometime. Thanks for the photos.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeWolf View Post
    Heyas MasterBlaster! Sounds like one heck of an experience! Definitely something to be able to brag about!! And as a shooter, a chance to work on a skillset that many people will not have the chance to experience, or work on.

I will say tho, that I dunno if I'd blame it all on the rifle. NOT to say that I'm saying that you should blame yourself. I remember watching a video some ten+ years back, about all the factors that get thrown in, when firing small arms from a moving vehicle. It included a bunch of variables (that I sadly have lost the facts about, thru the years) from both mobile, and stationary (but in operation) helicopters. Definitely don't count yourself short there, you overcame those factors pretty well, without knowing what they were, which military shooters have to take classes on, run drills, and practice at!

I'm sure that there's still vids of those kinds of shooting still around. But I do remember something to the effect of helicopters causing a lot of turbulence and downright screwy things to a small arm's bullet's flight trajectories.

But congratulations! That's definitely bragging rights! And a heck of a story to be able to tell people about!

Pretty sure I know what you're talking about. There was a whole sniper thing on History channel (back when they did that kinda thing)...Wanna say it was called "inside the crosshair" or something like that. They talked about the shooting in Alaska (1980's?) where the cops in the helo fired down with M16's and the futitive on the ground had a bolt action. They went on to talk about the dynamics of where to aim on the target to adjust for movement and the bullet passing through the slipstream caused by the rotor. I remember them using daytime tracers too to demonstrate the concept.
    Last edited by dms16; 02-14-2019 at 10:37 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolArrowKicker View Post
    Somewhere, I have a lead work up in Mils that incorporates forward throw out to 200m from 10-60KIAS for MK262 and M118LR. If I find it I’ll post it.
    CoolArrowKicker, your name rings a bell in my head. Perhaps, are you a returning member with your PMP?

I suspect you are an if so “it’s lovely to see you again my friend!”

I still read your last few posts every now and then. Some of the more informative posts found on this forum regarding the 416’s future. I remember 3GKurz voicing his relief at having someone with your knowledge join the fray; something to the extent of, finally someone who knows wtf they’re talking about.

@MasterBlaster , looks like a freakin’ insane time. I’m so jealous! Also please forgive above, not trying to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 02-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Looks like it was a lot of fun. How much does it cost to do an aerial hog hunting trip?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links