Budget 416 clone build? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Budget 416 clone build?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A big part of the allure of an authentic HK416 is the chrome lined barrel, which you won't be getting with the Brownell's kit. I would recommend buying an MR556 and an authentic HK416 upper. That's what most guys do, and you could sell the MR556 upper to help offset the cost of the HK416 upper. Expect to be out around $5000 total after you sell the MR556 upper to recoup some losses. You could also just buy an MR556 and have it sbr'd, that's the cheapest option and it's close enough for some people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah yeah, I’m still wanting to build a piston driven 556 platform so I think at that point I’d just get the BRN4 lower and slap on a TD 415 look alike upper or something on top of it and call it a day.
    My thinking was that if I started with the genuine stripped 416 upper Brownells sells along with the BRN4 lower that I could at least still use the 416/MR556 compatable forearms and such for the initial build as my understanding is the TD 415 upper unfortunately isnt compatable with those. Something to do with the rail height
    Is there anything proprietary about the stripped 416 upper that prevents me from using aftermarket internals which I can then later swap out with genuine Hk parts over time at my leisure?
    Basically all I am wanting at the end of the day is a AR with the outward cosmetic receiver profile of the 416/MR556 without droping 2.5-3k on a MR556 for my first AR. I dont even necessarily need the Hk logos lasered on it, thats more just a neat thing to have should I ever have the spare cash to drop on a genuine 416 upper
    "The great battleships are gone, like the reign of the dinosaurs, but only because they have been replaced by more fearsome weapons. Bismarck stands her post in the underworld, a home now to gentle sea creatures, and a eternal reminder of a time when the world went mad"

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

My experience went very well. I purchased a mr556 and sold the upper. I then purchased an hk416 upper kit and sold off all the extras. The gun functions and shoots flawlessly. not a single issue yet and its solid and as factory as one can get in my opinion. without paying $20k to get one of the few real SA that made it into the country

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Shield View Post
    Ah yeah, I’m still wanting to build a piston driven 556 platform so I think at that point I’d just get the BRN4 lower and slap on a TD 415 look alike upper or something on top of it and call it a day.
    My thinking was that if I started with the genuine stripped 416 upper Brownells sells along with the BRN4 lower that I could at least still use the 416/MR556 compatable forearms and such for the initial build as my understanding is the TD 415 upper unfortunately isnt compatable with those. Something to do with the rail height
    Is there anything proprietary about the stripped 416 upper that prevents me from using aftermarket internals which I can then later swap out with genuine Hk parts over time at my leisure?
    Basically all I am wanting at the end of the day is a AR with the outward cosmetic receiver profile of the 416/MR556 without droping 2.5-3k on a MR556 for my first AR. I dont even necessarily need the Hk logos lasered on it, thats more just a neat thing to have should I ever have the spare cash to drop on a genuine 416 upper
    The 416 is a whole different gun than an AR and uses proprietary parts so no, the parts aren't interchangeable and you'll be stuck with one platform or the other.

You can do a DI AR with a free-floating quad rail and more or less get the general "look" of the HK; there are also several piston operated ARs that aren't HK and are priced more competitively which you might wanna consider as well.

In the end though, if you want an HK gun you are gonna have to pay HK prices. There are no magic tricks to get around collector price premiums, especially when you are talking about HK 416 barrels (bonafide unobtanium outside of grey market 416 uppers) and to some extent, bolt heads.
    Last edited by Chango; 03-07-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    Ultimate Shield likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah ok thats more or less what I had no idea of. My hope was that there were non Hk brand internals that I could use for now and that I could change over as I go.
    So it would seem that I only have a few options open to me
    1.Get a BRN4 or CNC 80% and find a Mr556 or TD 415 upper if I wanted the piston driven system
    2. Get the lower and go the DI AR route for the upper
    3. Save the pennies a little more and just get a Mr556

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What I learned is that HK used Double Star's LPK kit in their early model lower receivers. It had all the parts that'll be compatible with the lower with the exception of the Buffer detent, and buffer detent retainer pin. I wouldn't go the 80% route unless you're confident with power tools, or have a CNC machine. MR556 uppers are fairly cheap. Here's one that has a HK Crome lined barrel in it : https://www.gunbroker.com/item/801992154. You could buy a HK upper reciever, and have the authentic markings engraved, and engrave a BRN-4 lower. From there you could have a reasonable clone for fairly cheap.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sadly I speak from experience, there is no way to build a 416 for less than a MR556.

If you go the Brownell route you will easily spend more for the gun, but you could build a pistol, which was the alure for me.

Brn4 lower - 400
    Engraving and shipping - 150 - 200
    paint to fix the off colors of the brn lower - $50
    Lpk - $40 if you go the AR cheap route, or hundreds if you source HK parts.
    buffer retainer pieces - 20-30
    HK stock -100-150
    Stripped upper- $350-400 - don’t even bother buying an upper without the piston bushing. They are near impossible to track down.
    Piston and op rod - 150-200
    BCG - hard to find right now, one just sold on gunbroker for $750
    Barrel - 400 for a Brownells, thousands for HK $550 for HK parts, which is nitrided, but the gas port if wrong and shouldn’t be ran suppressed.
    Buffer spring and buffer - 100-150
    Hand guard 100-200
    HK or tango down grip- 30-60
    HK iron sights - 150-200+

So if your lucky and you source everything cheap your at $2500isj, if not your well over $3k....

Mr556’s can be had for $2200-2500. Just got the route and save yourself a lot of time and effort. And more importantly you end up with a real HK.
    HK-91, HK-93, USC/UMP Conversion, SL8, G36C, HK45, HK45C, VP9, P30L, USPC 9mm, DJ Getz 94, Omega MP5SD, Vector 53, Vector 51, Cetme Sporter, C93, C93 Pistol, TD-415 (416 Clone), GSG9 416C clone.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guido02 View Post
    but you could build a pistol, which was the alure for me..
    Bazinga!! Same for me till I can get the paperwork and add to the stamp collection.
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 0311/8152 - TX AIR GUARD SECURITY FORCES CATM
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Id a 416 clone years ago on a Cncguns 80% and TD-415 upper and ill be the first to say id do things differently if i had these options available back then. I believe i paid $850 for my upper 4 years ago nowadays they seem to sell for $1250-$1500 not worth it in my oppion i have some gas block issues with mine its canted and will not accept the fold down front sight which is upsetting for me (because i love that sight) ... you can budget build a mostly really 416 upper from brownells for not much more. And you can use any HK handguard you can find (there down work on the TD-415 the rail height is diffrent.

The Lower is used was of great quality but one of the worst to machine when compared to about any other 80% lower.. There build jig is unique to there lower and they didn't even bother to drill the lower mounting pins so there is now way to index the drill jig to start with.. and there jig really isnt designed to be used unless those lower mounting pin are drilled (big fail in my book) it was a interesting build none the less with works fine but there are issues that bother me too the point ill probably destroy the lower and get one from brownells

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MR556 upper on the secondary- $1,000
    HK416/MR556 furniture- $200
    Any lower and LPK- $125
    Total: $1,325

99% of an HK416 for 25% of the price. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links