Thread: Budget 416 clone build?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would love to find upper mr556 for 1000$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike916 View Post
    I would love to find upper mr556 for 1000$
    Agree lowest ive seen on GB start at $1400 but that raises the question did they ever import a mr556 pistol or SBR length upper (10.5") or are we forced to cut down a full length barrel

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman0286 View Post
    Agree lowest ive seen on GB start at $1400 but that raises the question did they ever import a mr556 pistol or SBR length upper (10.5") or are we forced to cut down a full length barrel
    Cut down...this is HK.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LEEF View Post
    Cut down...this is HK.
    Thanks i was hopefully but im not surprised

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, still debating an IGF route or sourcing a cut down 10.4

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm in the process of completing my 416 clone. I did the BRN-4. San Antonio Laser Engraving made it look legit. Everything else on the lower is 100% HK416. The 10.4 upper and accessories hurt the wallet... but you only live once.
    Not really a good way to go cheep on a nice clone build. A used MR556 is your best bet. I have a Pristine Mr556 Upper Kit I'm getting ready to list. PM if interested.

Budget 416 clone build?-fullsizeoutput_19ab.jpegBudget 416 clone build?-fullsizeoutput_1a42.jpeg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First post: I hope its okay to jump into this thread/conversation. I have been a long time fan of this forum and read many posts/threads and am finally just about ready to start building a HK416 clone and I have a few questions please. I have gone on an off the fence a few times regarding which method to take. Option # 1 is to start with the Brownells part kit, lower, barrel, bolt assembly. Option # 2 is going the MR556-A1 method (swapping the upper with a real 416 stripped upper, replacing the HK stock, etc). I have seen many posts (pretty sure none on this forum) stating that the MR556-A1 is an inferior product and not worth using to build a HK416 clone, but none of those posts have ever provided explanation, examples, reasons to back that statement up, but it still has taken me off the fence for option # 2.

If it is not to much to ask, can someone (all opinions are appreciated) please explain if that as actually true regarding the MR556-A1 being inferior to the HK416. Money by no means is not an issue, but I am okay with doing this slow and saving up for the parts to do it right the first time, so based on that would it make more sense to go with option # 1 (assuming going option # 2 does not mean that I am building an inferior finished product). I do actually intend to make a few changes to the build (the rail system, some of the upgrades/modifications offered by investmentgradefirearms). The last important factor that I am reluctant to even mention is that I am a FFL/SOT and one of the primary things this build would be used for is during demo sessions with local Law Enforcement departments (yes, I am aware they can purchase real ones for a far lower price) so I would be converting it to full auto and SBR (if I go option # 2, I would use investmentgradefirearms Full Auto Bolt Carrier Conversion service with either a modified lower or DIAS.

P.S. I have also considered a third option, every now and then, I see complete LEO/MIL brokered complete genuine HK416 uppers on some of the online sales sites, for sale, but not typically less than at least $5000 and up. It would clearly cost more and delay my build as it will take me more time to save up, but is that a viable option to consider please?

I apologize in advance for the long post. I just am looking for guidance from those of you that have done I am just looking for straight to the point and honest opinions as to what and why is/are my best options please.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airwebber View Post
    First post: I hope its okay to jump into this thread/conversation. I have been a long time fan of this forum and read many posts/threads and am finally just about ready to start building a HK416 clone and I have a few questions please. I have gone on an off the fence a few times regarding which method to take. Option # 1 is to start with the Brownells part kit, lower, barrel, bolt assembly. Option # 2 is going the MR556-A1 method (swapping the upper with a real 416 stripped upper, replacing the HK stock, etc). I have seen many posts (pretty sure none on this forum) stating that the MR556-A1 is an inferior product and not worth using to build a HK416 clone, but none of those posts have ever provided explanation, examples, reasons to back that statement up, but it still has taken me off the fence for option # 2.

If it is not to much to ask, can someone (all opinions are appreciated) please explain if that as actually true regarding the MR556-A1 being inferior to the HK416. Money by no means is not an issue, but I am okay with doing this slow and saving up for the parts to do it right the first time, so based on that would it make more sense to go with option # 1 (assuming going option # 2 does not mean that I am building an inferior finished product). I do actually intend to make a few changes to the build (the rail system, some of the upgrades/modifications offered by investmentgradefirearms). The last important factor that I am reluctant to even mention is that I am a FFL/SOT and one of the primary things this build would be used for is during demo sessions with local Law Enforcement departments (yes, I am aware they can purchase real ones for a far lower price) so I would be converting it to full auto and SBR (if I go option # 2, I would use investmentgradefirearms Full Auto Bolt Carrier Conversion service with either a modified lower or DIAS.

P.S. I have also considered a third option, every now and then, I see complete LEO/MIL brokered complete genuine HK416 uppers on some of the online sales sites, for sale, but not typically less than at least $5000 and up. It would clearly cost more and delay my build as it will take me more time to save up, but is that a viable option to consider please?

I apologize in advance for the long post. I just am looking for guidance from those of you that have done I am just looking for straight to the point and honest opinions as to what and why is/are my best options please.

Thank you in advance.
    i think someone posted a genuine upper on here a couple days ago minus the rail and it was well under $5k....i believe it was an AF date code so if you arent looking for a specific date code that might be a good option for you to consider seeing that you said you would be changing the rail system anyway.

EDIT

looks to still be available heres the link
    https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-parts...5-shipped.html
    Last edited by swansonpc; 07-11-2019 at 03:31 PM.

mew
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I had to laugh at the title but isn't HK build and "budget" an oxymoron?? LOL
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airwebber View Post

Thank you in advance.
    Bottom line, if you want a 416, bite the bullet and get a 416 upper. Yes the MR is pretty much the same thing minus the cool German proof marks, the heavy target barrel and F/A denial "features" but the MR is a 416 pattern rifle modified around civilian bench shooting, not fighting, isn't the gun operational operators use and you will be forever reminded of the truth of the MR's shortcomings... even if you never actually need the capabilities of a 416 over an MR.

The same is true of Brownells, HB, Toad Bailey uppers, ect only you get even less "HK DNA"in the deal. Personally, if I wanted the 416 experience but didn't want to go as far as seeking out a real 416 I would stick with the MR and live with it's problems or mod them... at least then I'd have a true factory built HK gun.

Gotta remember too that the 416 is a collector's item now and it's high price is due to "collector's markup", not the actual performance improvement over the other options. You can do everything with a $1k Colt LE6920 that you can do with a $6K HK416 upper on a 1.5k MR lower or a $20k HK416sf, so if you are dropping thousands in your chase for the "best" you may leave poor and disappointed.
    Last edited by Chango; 07-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    airwebber, mew and AV8TR like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links