Budget 416 clone build?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Budget 416 clone build?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Budget 416 clone build?

Hey guys, forgive me if this isnt the right place for this. Ive just been reading about the Brownells BRN4 416 lowers, and I figure its high time I join the modern firearms club
    Ive always been more into older firearms (WW2-korea/vietnam era mostly) and as such its fairly safe to say I know absolutely jack squat about AR’s in terms of builds and design. Ive always really loved the look of the 416/MR556 and always said if I ever got into AR’s that thats what Id want to get, but Ive never really been able to justify dropping the kinda coin on an actual MR556
    Life story over, lol, with Brownells now making these lowers available, I’d like to finally explore this platform by goung through the Clone (and possibly SBR) route.
    Using a BRN4 lower along with the stripped Hk416 upper they sell, can anyone give me a rough idea at what kinda money I’d be looking at putting into a budget 416 clone build?
    I plan to upgrade internals to genuine Hk over time, but atm im just looking at getting a working budget platform running.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated because I really have no idea what I’m looking at for this build
    "The great battleships are gone, like the reign of the dinosaurs, but only because they have been replaced by more fearsome weapons. Bismarck stands her post in the underworld, a home now to gentle sea creatures, and a eternal reminder of a time when the world went mad"

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would start here if you are looking at the BRN-4. Good thread.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-heads...e-11-12-a.html
    Ultimate Shield likes this.
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS 0311/8152 - TX AIR GUARD SECURITY FORCES CATM
    Hidden Content

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSOGDAWG View Post
    I would start here if you are looking at the BRN-4. Good thread.

https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-heads...e-11-12-a.html
    I am in the process also and agree that the above thread has a lot of great information, recommendations and options. BUT, I would say that the term “budget” is very difficult in the HK world. Every time, I thought I could save a few dollars; I buy the lower cost part; it wouldn’t look right and I end up sourcing the OEM part afterwards. So I would like to quote the sage advice that has been given numerous times on HKPro: “Buy once, Cry once”. I wish you the best of luck on your build!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

HK clone and Budget don't go together. The best thing you could do is buy an MR556, and call it a day. Getting a BRN-4 lower receiver just for the markings is pretty expensive. You have to consider that you have to buy the BRN-4 lower, then send it off to be engraved, and buy an LPK (which is extremely difficult unless you're lucky), then you need to buy the HK buttstock. All of which can be quite pricey. I caught the clone bug, and it spread into HK firearms. All together I'm about 6-7K in the rabbit hole in between an authentic upper, lower, parts, and a Ghost Gunner 2 to mill out an 80% lower because I absolutely hate the Brownells serial numbers and markings on the magwell. If you're still set on a clone build PM me, and I'll send you some contacts that have parts unless you're buying the complete set from Brownells which has everything you'll need.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Wolf makes some good points. It is a pricey route. However if you are into details then its a good consideration. I will caveat saying that because on the BRN lowers there are some milling differences which are noticeable to the familiar eye. However I dont agree about the LPK part. I used a standard AR LPK for the small parts but used an ALG defense ACT trigger and hammer. Those can be picked up relatively cheap and easily. You will need the buffer retainer, buffer retainer spring and a buffer retainer cross pin as well. Those are available you just have to look for them. I had to order the two pins from one place and the spring from another. No big deal. I also used a standard mil spec buffer tube and the HK vintage (LEO style look a like M4) stock and a Tango Down BG16 to mimic an older 416. Many may not think this is the right way or what ever....there are alot of opinions to which all are entitled. Its what YOU want and how YOU want to spend YOUR time and YOUR money. I cant argue that getting an MR556 and remarking is a good option. The money thing is a lost cause man because its HK and while you may save on this build, once your bit you get the fever and your wallet holds the antidote.

Premium Professional
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

A little clarification for you on the Hammer part in the LPK. There are many that will work but you need to use a "un notched" hammer.
    Budget 416 clone build?-hammers.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the thread link! I've actually been slowly reading through that thread, but its a lot to take in all at once, especially where I've no real familiarity with the AR platform. Oh trust me I've already got the Hk bug, hahaha. It's the whole reason I'm willing to start my first AR build with the BRN4 Lower (or maybe even using one of Justins 80% 416 lowers) rather than a $75 Spikes lower because I really want that distinct Hk look. I guess what I'm looking to do is less of a exact 416 clone, and more of a custom build AR build using the BRN Lower and 416 upper; one that I'm able to easily convert into a real 416 clone someday if I so choose.
    What I'm not sure of is how much more I'd be looking at needing to invest in the project beyond the initial $800 for the BRN4 lower and 416 upper from Brownells to get a working AR piston driven rifle using what budget parts where I can, and if I'd already be looking Mr556 kind of pricing trying to do so.
    Last edited by Ultimate Shield; 03-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most authentic uppers run for $3000+ then if you want a lower as close to the original as possible the best thing to do is go 80% then mill it out. I don't trust myself to be exact with Jigs, and power tools so I bought a GG2 for $2000. The LPK I bought was about $200, Stock was about $150. I still need a trigger from HK Parts for about $450. I'm trying to be as close to HK, and buy as many authentic parts from HK as I can so far the only thing I don't have that's HK is the Lower (which is an exact copy), and the trigger (Which will be a Geissele HK 416 SSF trigger)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Chasing the HK416 rainbow requires deep pockets and a stiff upper lip. Even the non-HK clone stuff is crazy-expensive vs a regular AR build and if you want a "new HK everything as close as (legally) possible to the real thing" gun you are gonna end up paying enough money for your rifle as it would cost to pick up a decent late model sedan.

If all you want is something that just looks like a HK416, says "HK" on the side and goes bang at the lowest possible price-point, look at the GSG .22LR version. Otherwise, you'll get more bang for your buck if you look into building a DI AR-15 instead.

That said, one of my favorite guns is my "MR416" even though I'm thoroughly embarrassed by how much $$$ I've dumped into it. To me it was worth abandoning logic and going "full retard" to get what I really wanted .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the point of money if you can't spend it on something nice?
    Chango likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links