This is my first time posting something here but I've been reading a lot through the years. I currently (only) own a Mk23 from HK but love it. I always wanted to buy a HK rifle, though.
Now I have an armorer who's willing to sell me a HK416A3 (FA) with a Lothar Walther barrel (button-rifled and QPQ coated) and a german made bolt for 4700 Swiss francs.
As I am still quite new to the whole HK416 issue I could not really find a proper description what differences there are between the versions (A3, A5, A7, etc.). I couldn't find it here in the forum nor on Google (forgive me if I missed it). Can any of you HK416 experts help me out on this matter? Also, is this a good configuration which will hopefully be accurate and last long? I have absolutely no experience with Lothar Walther barrels.
Thanks a lot!
Best wishes from Switzerland!
Yes, that helped a lot! Thanks!
But it also raised new questions too:
1. What are HK416-F, HK416-D or HK416C, HK416 SF versions and their differences?
2. What about A4, A6 (is there an A6?) or A7?
3. Is A1 to A7 a chronological order of versions and only the newest is for sale directly from HK?
4. Which is the "best"?
5. Are ONLY the HK416A2 versions OTB capable? An A3 is not?
I think I will love getting into this... :D
Last edited by Swizy; 05-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.
I think I can answer your first question. The "F" is the French version, "D" is the US version stands for Defense, the "C" is the compact version (they don't make this anymore) and the SF is the semi-auto single fire version
I would suggest to you to just buy a new MR223A3. The rifles are, apart from FA capability, a very significant step up from 416 predating the 416a5.
Hi, I can relate to your questions. Live in CH myself and own/have owned many 416 variations (including the civ. counterpart).
- if you like to shoot the gun: buy the MR223A3 in 11" or 14.5", get the barrel trimmed down. All parts original to the package, resell value available, very good product
- if you are more of a collector: get the 416. It's a good balance between original and repro. Certainly a bit pricey, but there is a lot of work to provide the full package.
- if $ is not a big deal: get both. one for the cool factor, and one to actually use on the range. HK seems on the cliff of bankruptcy one more time, and orders are increasingly hard to confirm. Hence why not stocking up before HK (and maybe also the law) is unable to deliver.
Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti
Regarding the versions, I was told that from A3 on every HK416 is OTB-capable.
Not sure that the civilian A3 ist OTB capable. As far as the LE/MILs are concerned, I recall reading that even there it's an on-demand feature.
I personally don't really care so my info could be outdated.