HK416 Versions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HK416 Versions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK416 Versions

Hi

This is my first time posting something here but I've been reading a lot through the years. I currently (only) own a Mk23 from HK but love it. I always wanted to buy a HK rifle, though.

Now I have an armorer who's willing to sell me a HK416A3 (FA) with a Lothar Walther barrel (button-rifled and QPQ coated) and a german made bolt for 4700 Swiss francs.

As I am still quite new to the whole HK416 issue I could not really find a proper description what differences there are between the versions (A3, A5, A7, etc.). I couldn't find it here in the forum nor on Google (forgive me if I missed it). Can any of you HK416 experts help me out on this matter? Also, is this a good configuration which will hopefully be accurate and last long? I have absolutely no experience with Lothar Walther barrels.

Thanks a lot!

Best wishes from Switzerland!

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Welcome to the site. Member @Marine0303 posted this excellent write up on the HK416. That should get you started.

Notes from the HK416 Armorer Course
    Marine0303 likes this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, that helped a lot! Thanks!

But it also raised new questions too:
    1. What are HK416-F, HK416-D or HK416C, HK416 SF versions and their differences?
    2. What about A4, A6 (is there an A6?) or A7?
    3. Is A1 to A7 a chronological order of versions and only the newest is for sale directly from HK?
    4. Which is the "best"?
    5. Are ONLY the HK416A2 versions OTB capable? An A3 is not?

I think I will love getting into this... :D
    Last edited by Swizy; 05-17-2019 at 01:12 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think I can answer your first question. The "F" is the French version, "D" is the US version stands for Defense, the "C" is the compact version (they don't make this anymore) and the SF is the semi-auto single fire version

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I would suggest to you to just buy a new MR223A3. The rifles are, apart from FA capability, a very significant step up from 416 predating the 416a5.

Really liking this HK Stuff Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Hi, I can relate to your questions. Live in CH myself and own/have owned many 416 variations (including the civ. counterpart).

My advice:
    - if you like to shoot the gun: buy the MR223A3 in 11" or 14.5", get the barrel trimmed down. All parts original to the package, resell value available, very good product
    - if you are more of a collector: get the 416. It's a good balance between original and repro. Certainly a bit pricey, but there is a lot of work to provide the full package.
    - if $ is not a big deal: get both. one for the cool factor, and one to actually use on the range. HK seems on the cliff of bankruptcy one more time, and orders are increasingly hard to confirm. Hence why not stocking up before HK (and maybe also the law) is unable to deliver.
    Helvetiorum Fidei ac Virtuti

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baljar View Post
    I would suggest to you to just buy a new MR223A3. The rifles are, apart from FA capability, a very significant step up from 416 predating the 416a5.
    I shot the "old" 416 this weekend and indeed the new MR A3 upper and lowers are more sharp and fast to use. What I just don't understand is the MR bull barrel, that is easily laziness from Oberndorf. But with a little diet (trim) the MR A3 becomes a real champion!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy88 View Post
    My advice:
    Hence why not stocking up before HK (and maybe also the law) is unable to deliver.
    So true after yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Andy88 View Post
    Hi, I can relate to your questions. Live in CH myself and own/have owned many 416 variations (including the civ. counterpart).

My advice:
    - if you like to shoot the gun: buy the MR223A3 in 11" or 14.5", get the barrel trimmed down. All parts original to the package, resell value available, very good product
    - if you are more of a collector: get the 416. It's a good balance between original and repro. Certainly a bit pricey, but there is a lot of work to provide the full package.
    - if $ is not a big deal: get both. one for the cool factor, and one to actually use on the range. HK seems on the cliff of bankruptcy one more time, and orders are increasingly hard to confirm. Hence why not stocking up before HK (and maybe also the law) is unable to deliver.
    Thanks for your input! I think I will go for the 416 as it will be part of my collection but I will be shooting it from time to time anyway. Today I was told that I could also get a HK416C with an surcharge for the collapsible stock but I don't like as much as the 10.4 inch version.

Regarding the versions, I was told that from A3 on every HK416 is OTB-capable.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Not sure that the civilian A3 ist OTB capable. As far as the LE/MILs are concerned, I recall reading that even there it's an on-demand feature.

I personally don't really care so my info could be outdated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links