HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Unfortunately, HK just told me that item is not available on the civilian market.

How much does it cost anyway?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HK#7 View Post
    I looked into every method, and idea out there, and came up blank for compatibility with the HK417. I finally reached out to HK, and the woman I have been working with contacted me last week, and said that she was able to round up the "HK417 Barrell Assembly Shaft" for me. It took about a month, and a half, but it arrived. It is very similar to the Geissele Reaction rod, just made for the HK417/MR762. Fit is good, and holds real well. I have a real busy weekend, and will not get to into installing this until next week, but here is a bit of info and pictures:

HK Part 50 353 111 (BARREL ASSEMBLY SHAFT, HK417) (Counter Bracket)

Attachment 238186Attachment 238188Attachment 238190Attachment 238192[
    It would appear I got lucky, or it was just the way I approached this, but it looks like several of you have tired, and failed to obtain this from HK according to some PM's I got today. I cannot say as to why I was able to get this, but I will tell you that I did call customer service (GA I believe), give them my name, email, etc..., and ask to order the "Barrel installation tool" for an MR762 (I did not mention an HK417, figuring that, that was not going to work) - I did not have a part number, they had to get back to me with it. Although I am building a Brownells HK417 clone, I also own the HK MR762 long range package, which is registered with HK. I wonder if they were able to see that in their system, and that is why they sold it to me - complete speculation here. It did take a month and a half, and I figured that was normal, maybe came from Germany??? But, eventually I got it..

The cost was in the neighborhood of $180.00

I am really sorry to hear folks are struggling to obtain this, as it was a relatively smooth process for me (besides the wait), and I cannot say why I got solucky???

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

I have to say it’s BS that HK won’t sell owners of their firearms the tooling to maintain them.

So I have to send it to James or Bubba to get work done? Tell me how that’s a great marketing plan for HK in the US civilian market??.

Another reason to just walk away from HK. And boy are they racking up the reasons these days...

If they ever ramp up for the US market it’s already a day late and a dollar short...
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here’s an option that I put together that works great.

I bought a Brownells AR-.308 Extension Torque Tool (080001040) for $33.29 ($36.99 On Sale - 10% discount if you wait for a typical Brownells weekly email special discount). This tool will not fit the HK417 barrel extension as-is on two dimensions:

1. The tool’s eight teeth (lugs?), that fit into the barrel extension, are .162” (tip) x .195”(base) (conical). They need to be smaller to fit the HK417 barrel extension groves. I didn’t have the actual dimensions for the HK417 barrel extension, but I made mine ~.147” (tip) x ~.160 (base) by trial and error and some rough measures with a caliper. Maybe someone out there has the exact dimensions…I couldn’t find them and I also didn’t have a bolt-head to use as a reference.

2. The overall diameter of the tool is 1.18” but needs to be 1.14” to fit the HK417 upper receiver. The overall diameter of the eight teeth that fit into the groves of the barrel extension was fine; no change needed (It looks to be ~.88”).

What I did:

1. Resizing the eight teeth/lugs: I used a Dremel with a 1.25”x.060” fine grinding wheel to remove material from each side of the eight teeth so they went from a thickness of .162” (tip)-.195”(base) to ~.147” (tip)- ~.160 (base). I had a Brownells HK417 barrel that I used to constantly measure progress as I removed material from the teeth. I also used a digital caliper to measure progress, but I can tell you I wasn’t really trying to profile each tooth so that it was precisely conical per the target measurements (I’m not that precise). When the tool’s teeth/lugs finally fit the barrel extension, I stopped. The tool fits snuggly into the barrel extension with absolutely no play/wiggle. It took me a little more than 30 minutes to complete (i.e., 1 adult beverage).

2. Resizing the overall diameter of the tool: I found a local machine shop and had them machine the entire length of the tool, which is just a 10 inch solid steel shaft, from a diameter of 1.18” to 1.14”; $40.

How it worked:

I bought one of Brownells HK417 Parts kits, one of their HK417 barrels, and one of their HK Barrel Nut wrenches. I used the same approach as demonstrated in the Brownells “how-to” video for the Barrel Extension Torque Tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Y_JrfDcXU&t=13s). I attached the HK barrel nut wrench to the barrel nut, attached a ½” ratchet to the HK barrel nut tool, and secured the ½” ratchet handle into a vise so that the barrel/upper receiver assembly was hanging vertically from the vise. I inserted my modified Brownells AR .308 extension torque tool into the HK417 upper receiver and attached my ½” torque wrench to the ½” socket at the end of the Brownells tool. I torqued the barrel to 80 ft/lbs. The nice thing about this approach is that the torque is applied directly in line with the barrel and barrel nut; no offset.

I believe I added photos of the modified Brownells tool, the Dremel tool I used, and the torquing setup; but not sure it took. I'm a newbie to the site and haven't had a chance to add pictures before this post.

I would have preferred to buy the HK tool from HK, but that didn’t look like it was going to be likely…so I went this route and it worked great. Total cost was $74, but I did have to spend time looking for a machine shop and re-profiling the teeth/lugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-dremel-tool.jpg   HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-extension-torque-tool-1.jpg   HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-extension-torque-tool-fully-inserted.jpg   HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-extension-torque-tool-3.jpg   HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-torquing-barrel-nut-1.jpg  

HK417 Upper Reciever Rod/Fixture for Barrel installation-torquing-barrel-nut-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Chesapeak610; 08-03-2019 at 02:43 AM.
    UMP45 ENTRY and HK#7 like this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If anyone is interested in attempting to obtain this tool froom HK, do not ask for an HK417 (they will say no - that is the military/LE designation for it). It appears the tool is the same for the MR762, and HK417. I cannot say this will work, but your best shot is to ask for an MR762 Barrel Removal/installation tool - as this is the model number for the civilian version of the HK417. I would not even mention the part number, as that will more then likely bring it up as an HK417 tool in their computer, and I would suspect, that will be the end of that.

Anyway, good luck, and in a bind, Chesapeak610 (above) has an option, for those of you who like to tinker, and machine in your spare time....

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HK#7 View Post
    If anyone is interested in attempting to obtain this tool froom HK, do not ask for an HK417 (they will say no - that is the military/LE designation for it). It appears the tool is the same for the MR762, and HK417. I cannot say this will work, but your best shot is to ask for an MR762 Barrel Removal/installation tool - as this is the model number for the civilian version of the HK417. I would not even mention the part number, as that will more then likely bring it up as an HK417 tool in their computer, and I would suspect, that will be the end of that.

Anyway, good luck, and in a bind, Chesapeak610 (above) has an option, for those of you who like to tinker, and machine in your spare time....
    I heard you were offering free installs for all HKPro members;-)

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I want to update you that Nefarious Arms has express interest to make MR762/HK417 reaction rod. They just become supporting vendor if you want it please go to following thread: https://www.hkpro.com/forum/nefariou...ious-arms.html

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links