HK 416 Magazine Collection - From LEO Marked Steel to RAL8000 Plastic - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: HK 416 Magazine Collection - From LEO Marked Steel to RAL8000 Plastic

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sweersa View Post
    I would imagine the solid colored mags would be stronger than translucent, but that's solely based on me hearing the clearer a mag is, the less strong it is.
    Regarding what you heard, about the clearer a mag, the weaker it is, were you specifically referring to HK416 mags, or just 5.56 mags in general? Because one of the sturdiest and most shatter-resistant polymers out there, polycarbonate (which is used for making bullet-resistant windows) is completely transparent. So material wise, if anything it should be the other way around regarding how sturdy and clear they are.
    Last edited by Euro-Guns; 04-18-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Grammar

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-Guns View Post
    Regarding what you heard, about the clearer a mag, the weaker it is, where you specifically referring to HK416 mags, or just 5.56 mags in general? Because one of the sturdiest and most shatter resistant polymers out there, polycarbonate (which is used for making bullet-resistant windows) is completely transparent. So material-wise, if anything it should be the other way around regarding how sturdy and clear they are.
    It is my understanding that the problem with polycarbonate is solvent resistance, along with give and take on toughness versus softness, as the harder the polycarb, the more brittle it is, but also makes it less susceptible to grit wearing down the mags. I have been told that Magpul did in fact attempt to make completely translucent magazines using polycarb, but was never satisfied with the compromises they had to make.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    It is my understanding that the problem with polycarbonate is solvent resistance, along with give and take on toughness versus softness, as the harder the polycarb, the more brittle it is, but also makes it less susceptible to grit wearing down the mags. I have been told that Magpul did in fact attempt to make completely translucent magazines using polycarb, but was never satisfied with the compromises they had to make.
    Yeah, you're right, that's something I hadn't taken into account. There are more properties to a good magazine than just being hard and rigid, it needs to be able to flex a little as well in order to absorb impacts, something polycarbonate doesn't do too well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Euro-Guns View Post
    Regarding what you heard, about the clearer a mag, the weaker it is, were you specifically referring to HK416 mags, or just 5.56 mags in general? Because one of the sturdiest and most shatter-resistant polymers out there, polycarbonate (which is used for making bullet-resistant windows) is completely transparent. So material wise, if anything it should be the other way around regarding how sturdy and clear they are.
    It is more based on the clear AK mags, some aftermarket, others from Bulgaria factory 10. They are brittle, and crack. HK's clear receivers are also intended for display only, not use. I do not know of any completely clear polymer weapons or magazines that can be used. Any seemingly clear mags I've seen, like the G36 are not totally clear and are darker.
    Hidden Content
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links