Shortening an HK MR 223 A3 barrel from 16.5 " to 11" possible?

Thread: Shortening an HK MR 223 A3 barrel from 16.5 " to 11" possible?

JBG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Shortening an HK MR 223 A3 barrel from 16.5 " to 11" possible?

So I got the opportunity to get a used MR 223 A3 for really cheap. But I don't really dig the 16.5" Barrel.
    Is it possible to cut it down to 11"? I know I must install a new gasblock.
    MY main concern is that I read somewhere that the barrels are tapered and therefore it would be really bad if I cut it down.
    The other thing that is concerning me is that the chrome lining might chip and the barrel would be trashed.

What do you guys think?

Thank you

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It can be done, you just need to have a competent machinist perform the work. People cut down chrome lined SCAR barrels, etc everyday with no issues. The swag or bore taper will be compromised slightly but it may not even be noticeable at 100 yrds, etc. Many people cut down 16.5” MR556 barrels to 14.5” and 10.4” with no real issues. You will need to either weld the vent shut on your existing gas block, replace the gas block with one off of the 10.4”/11” models and open up your barrel gas port to 1.6mm, or have the vent welded on your existing gas block, redrill a 1mm gas vent, and also open up the barrel gas port to 1.6mm

JBG

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UMP45 ENTRY View Post
    It can be done, you just need to have a competent machinist perform the work. People cut down chrome lined SCAR barrels, etc everyday with no issues. The swag or bore taper will be compromised slightly but it may not even be noticeable at 100 yrds, etc. Many people cut down 16.5” MR556 barrels to 14.5” and 10.4” with no real issues. You will need to either weld the vent shut on your existing gas block, replace the gas block with one off of the 10.4”/11” models and open up your barrel gas port to 1.6mm, or have the vent welded on your existing gas block, redrill a 1mm gas vent, and also open up the barrel gas port to 1.6mm
    Ok thank you.
    Sounds quite complicated.

Sponsored Links