HK change their anodizing process recently?

Thread: HK change their anodizing process recently?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default HK change their anodizing process recently?

Hi guys,

Trying to mimic recent HK receiver coloring. While shooting emails with my smith we were perplexed with recent anodizing. They appear darker/greyer/greenish then past clear anodizing, like a slight die may have been applied. Looking at production M110a1 photos, Hk417a7, and BI code MR223a3, it seems they all share this. The color appears to be different from the photos on HK's site and real CAG rifles. Perhaps closer to the clone CAG rifles where the black ano was chem stripped then reanoed leading to a darker "clear".

links to what im talking about:
    -HK416a7
    HK416A7 - Soldier Systems Daily
    https://thereptilehouseblog.com/2018...416a7-ksk-g95/
    -new mr223a3 free parts kit from Zib BI code
    http://www.zib-militaria.de/WebRoot/...5/IMG_2043.JPG

I initially though it may just have been lighting (A7 in interior lighting and MR in the shade). But photos of the M110a1 in the sun from the H&k g28e csass thread also shows the receiver to be slightly different compared to CAG rifles (greyer instead of tan like the honey badger from Q).

So any chance an expert can chime in and confirm or dispel HK tweaked their anodizing process?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

It definitely looks darker OD greenish/grey. It almost looks like a coating and not anodized.
    A voice from the past whispers in my ear, “Brethren, keep your powder dry.”

Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Pretty sure they switched over to a coating...cerakote I believe.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Those variances can be accounted for simply by the camera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm confident its a coating. It would be extremely challenging to get the colors to match on the clear type III anodizing process. Even geissele notes the reasons for it here
    https://geissele.com/desert-dirt-color-ddc.

Due to the chemical process that takes place during Type 3 Hardcoat, the finish on the product can vary from one to the next, even if it is the same batch. The only way to receive a uniform finish on all parts and accessories to match a color you desire, is to have it recoated or painted with a different finish, for example Cerakote ™ or DuraCoat. However please be aware, that these other types of finishes will not be as durable and will be more easily prone to scratches and scrapes.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

The coloring of their anodizing has always looked different depending on environment and lighting. 3 years ago there were pics of G28 and A5 had that hue of green/brown. It’s the nature of the beast.
    Last edited by RegularGuy461969; 10-18-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

There's a chance they may have added a chromic acid bath to the anodizing process. It often results in a green hue.

Normally chromic acid anodizing is a straight up type 1 anodize, but I also know that our finishing shop has a chromic acid bath as one of the possible final steps of all anodize types they perform.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The color in the last image looks extremely close to the BRN4 I had blasted and clear anodized.

Sponsored Links