Legacy Hk416 iron sites
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dms16

Thread: Legacy Hk416 iron sites

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Legacy Hk416 iron sites

Can you use hk416 iron sites from at 10.5 upper on a 14.5 upper? The type of sites I am inquiring about are the diopter HK rear site and the front site post that attaches to the gas block. Thank you in advance.

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

IIRC, the front flip up sight comes in more than one height option. One will work with the rear diopter. The rear diopter's are calibrated for different barrel lengths. The 10" has it's own and the 14.5/16" has it's own. Marked with "." or ".." respectively under the "2" setting.

ETA: the 28mm front should work with the diopter; the 33mm front is meant to work with the folding rear.

If I may say so, even if you get the right combo, this sight selection sucks for practical use. The folding front does not afford you the same sight picture as the fixed front and is more challenging to use. It's too small and the pin clip can come off easily...doesn't help that it's sitting on the hottest, dirtiest part of the gun (especially on the 14.5 if folded). Several do not take the time to properly zero the diopter drum, and even when they do, we get countless questions regarding "co-witness" of which you have relatively few good options.
    Last edited by dms16; 11-08-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    RegularGuy461969 likes this.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

^^^WHS^^^

There is a reason it’s no longer on production rifles.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I will admit that there is something sexy about the 10" gun with quad rail and just the diopters...It just looks right...like HK's of the old glory days.

If you want to spend your money on the best irons here ya go:

https://www.eurooptic.com/era-tac-ba...0541-0355.aspx

Even the snobbiest among us should recognize the German ERA-TAC name (for those that don't they were HK's selection for the G28 mounts). German goodness aside, they have some of the smartest features (for ACTUAL use) I've seen on a BUIS set to date. Expensive yes, but not a complete waste of money like the KAC and HK folding iron ****ery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the advice!

mew
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dms16 View Post

Expensive yes, but not a complete waste of money like the KAC and HK folding iron ****ery.
    curious why you think the KAC are inferior?? not that the era-tac's aren't nice but they look like a knockoff of the KAC micro's
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mew View Post
    curious why you think the KAC are inferior?? not that the era-tac's aren't nice but they look like a knockoff of the KAC micro's
    The problem I have with the KAC's are that they are great for say a bullseye match. They suck when you actually get out and use that SUPER tiny aperture against certain backdrops. Some of the Micro's you can pop out the insert but that skinny rear is not easy to get an indexing reference on and you now lost the ability to use the small aperture. I also don't care for the dull battleship gray color they use; again, it doesn't play well with some terrain/light. I also know that some of the designs are more delicate than others.

With the KAC Mk12/Mk18 front sights and some others I don't like their proprietary hardware that until recently was impossible to find and replace. I called everybody and their dog for a front sight post detent...Jack Leuba, Lawmens, Ayan when he was still relevant...nobody could help. Same on the old URX folding fronts...I sold my parts off for a mint because people needed them and couldn't get them. You don't get to to change front sight posts either.

The micro/URX front's are a no-go with that dial that can be spun way too easily and that stupid-skinny post.

That's why I don't like the KAC...too much money for too little practical performance. If you like that A2/National Match style nonsense...go for it.

What I like about the ERA TACs is that unlike most of their competitors you can leave the rear with the larger aperture as they have a recess for the reduced aperture when not deployed and sights are folded AND the apertures aren't flimsy. Something like the LMT are neat but you have to have the small aperture up if you want fold them down and I hate Magpul Pros where you have to pry the 2 apart with your thumbnail. You can use aftermarket sight posts and milspec replacement parts on the front. I like that they use Torx screws and not Allen or Phillips that can strip...at least KAC has the flathead slot that's OK. The ERA TAC's are a decent blend of practical/combat sights but with some level of precision that I don't find in things like the Troy.

...That's my perspective on irons. That said, I don't bother with irons as my secondary at all much anymore...so whatever.
    Last edited by dms16; 11-12-2019 at 12:53 AM.

mew
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

good perspective on many sights you listed. personally as a KAC fanboy I haven't had the issues you have but then again I only use mine once to sight in and fold them down.
    I'm never going to need them hopefully and if I do I'm confident they will work. I agree with you everyone has their favorite BUIS but diopters on HK's always work.

Sponsored Links