Cutting Brownells 416 Barrel to 10.4"
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yz125racer
  • 1 Post By fatmat27

Thread: Cutting Brownells 416 Barrel to 10.4"

  1. #1
    Member
    gunsnmammons's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2018
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 65
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Cutting Brownells 416 Barrel to 10.4"

    Has anyone attempted to cut down the 16" 416 barrel that Brownells has? I know Marvin has 10.4" barrels but I am looking at other options. Are the gas port sizes different? I have a 10.4" vented gas block for it.

  2. #2
    HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER

    Join Date : Oct 2011
    Posts : 1,334
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

    Default

    Gas port sizes must be different due to the decreased dwell time on the shorter barrel.

    I'm not sure what size would be correct for a 10.4 though. I'm sure someone here will chime in, but I'd be shocked if this information isn't already on the forum somewhere.
    Search is your friend.
    Own: HK91, G36k, HK416, P30L, USP SD
    Future: HK243? Assuming HK grants my wish.

  3. #3
    Member
    gunsnmammons's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2018
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 65
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    Gas port sizes must be different due to the decreased dwell time on the shorter barrel.

    I'm not sure what size would be correct for a 10.4 though. I'm sure someone here will chime in, but I'd be shocked if this information isn't already on the forum somewhere.
    Search is your friend.
    I tried searching, never to find an exact measurement. I was looking around in Nefarious arms barrel thread and he says something about barrel port size needs to be customized for gas block and barrel length but no mention of exact gas port size.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    gunsnmammons's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2018
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 65
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Update: I have found a post that states that the original HK spec for the 10.4" barrels with the vented gas block is a 1.6mm vent.

  6. #5
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    yz125racer's Avatar
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 1,080
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

    Default

    I know you've said your looking for other options but I would think Marvin would be your best option here. The barrels he is making are chrome lined also. Brownells barrel at $300 + the cost to chop and drill the gas port and may not even run right. I think Marvin's price is around $445 and its ready to go. Probably comes out to be the same price either way.
    holshot36 likes this.

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Majestic's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2004
    Location : USA
    Posts : 34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I was curious about putting an original 416 10.4" upper on a (sbr'd) BRN-4 Lower. I suspect that would work without issue correct?
    Hk enthusiast!

  8. #7
    Unrepentant HKHolic
    fatmat27's Avatar
    Join Date : Jul 2009
    Location : Arizona
    Posts : 2,556
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yz125racer View Post
    I know you've said your looking for other options but I would think Marvin would be your best option here. The barrels he is making are chrome lined also. Brownells barrel at $300 + the cost to chop and drill the gas port and may not even run right. I think Marvin's price is around $445 and its ready to go. Probably comes out to be the same price either way.
    Marvin's work is top notch. I've not yet heard the same about the Brownell's barrels. Besides, if you needed to get the gas port drilled, where would you send it?

    ETA: @gunsnmammons coincidence that I was watching your HK M110A1 video in another window while responding to your thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    I was curious about putting an original 416 10.4" upper on a (sbr'd) BRN-4 Lower. I suspect that would work without issue correct?
    Will work just fine.
    Last edited by fatmat27; 01-18-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    UMP45 ENTRY likes this.

  9. #8
    mew
    mew is offline
    Desperately Needs Treatment
    mew's Avatar
    Join Date : Aug 2005
    Location : SW Florida
    Posts : 1,919
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Default

    ^^^^^^^^^^^what a beauty!!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke

  10. #9
    Member
    gunsnmammons's Avatar
    Join Date : Jan 2018
    Location : Texas
    Posts : 65
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    @fatmat27 thank you! Seems to be one of my most popular videos. I love that rifle!

Sponsored Links

 
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •