MR762 + G28 parts v. weight
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: MR762 + G28 parts v. weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default MR762 + G28 parts v. weight

When Ral8000 parts became available, I got the G28 Extended Handguard, Ral8000 Rail Covers, and G28 Adjustable Buttstock set. Although the rifle looked cool, the weight is unmanageable unless I am benchrest shooting. I later got the G28 Patrol v2 Handguard and the Slimline Stock, which significantly reduced the weight, but even with a 1-6x scope, extended offhand shooting causes serious fatigue. The Slimline Stock also changes the balance, causing the rifle to feel more front heavy, and the recoil is a lot more significant.

I currently have the rifle configured with the G28 Patrol v2 Handguard, the Adjustable Buttstock, and a 1-6x scope, and total weight as configured is 12.6 lbs without a magazine. I am interested in taking a Battle Rifle class, so I want to configure the rifle accordingly. I note that I currently have had no difficulty completing carbine classes with my MR556 with the Geissele handguard/ Remington handguard and an red dot (total weight as configured is 9.2 lbs). A few years ago, I struggled in a carbine class with my MR556 and the Ral8000 quadrail handguard, a 4X scope, and an unpadded sling, but that was before I changed my workout routine to focus on functional fitness (emphasis on shoulders, back, and legs and more cardio).

When I first saw a photo of the G28 Patrol v3 Handguard (the HKey handguard) a few years ago, I found it be not to be aesthetically pleasing. However, if I can lose significant weight from the v2 Handguard, I am seriously making the switch (the next problem would be to find a v3 Ral8000 handguard).

My question is... how much does the G28 Patrol v3 HKey Handguard weigh? How much does it weigh with the shortest HKey rails attached at the left and the right sides?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to set up the MR762 for a Battle Rifle class (which I anticipate will have a significant amount of offhand shooting, magazine changes, hiking, and shooting out to 600 yards)?

I plan on going with the Slimline Stock, which will shed about a pound. I am also considering running a red dot instead of the 1-6x scope, which will shed another pound.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RockHard417 View Post
    When Ral8000 parts became available, I got the G28 Extended Handguard, Ral8000 Rail Covers, and G28 Adjustable Buttstock set. Although the rifle looked cool, the weight is unmanageable unless I am benchrest shooting. I later got the G28 Patrol v2 Handguard and the Slimline Stock, which significantly reduced the weight, but even with a 1-6x scope, extended offhand shooting causes serious fatigue. The Slimline Stock also changes the balance, causing the rifle to feel more front heavy, and the recoil is a lot more significant.

I currently have the rifle configured with the G28 Patrol v2 Handguard, the Adjustable Buttstock, and a 1-6x scope, and total weight as configured is 12.6 lbs without a magazine. I am interested in taking a Battle Rifle class, so I want to configure the rifle accordingly. I note that I currently have had no difficulty completing carbine classes with my MR556 with the Geissele handguard/ Remington handguard and an red dot (total weight as configured is 9.2 lbs). A few years ago, I struggled in a carbine class with my MR556 and the Ral8000 quadrail handguard, a 4X scope, and an unpadded sling, but that was before I changed my workout routine to focus on functional fitness (emphasis on shoulders, back, and legs and more cardio).

When I first saw a photo of the G28 Patrol v3 Handguard (the HKey handguard) a few years ago, I found it be not to be aesthetically pleasing. However, if I can lose significant weight from the v2 Handguard, I am seriously making the switch (the next problem would be to find a v3 Ral8000 handguard).

My question is... how much does the G28 Patrol v3 HKey Handguard weigh? How much does it weigh with the shortest HKey rails attached at the left and the right sides?

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to set up the MR762 for a Battle Rifle class (which I anticipate will have a significant amount of offhand shooting, magazine changes, hiking, and shooting out to 600 yards)?

I plan on going with the Slimline Stock, which will shed about a pound. I am also considering running a red dot instead of the 1-6x scope, which will shed another pound.
    They are heavy I am at 21lbs of course that includes the Can lol https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk...8sd-clone.html
    HK HK HK HK HK HK HK .. U.S.A Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MR762 + G28 parts v. weight-1.jpg

Here is my current setup. After offhand shooting 2 - 20 round magazines, I have to put her down. Sometimes I can offhand shoot 3 - 20 round magazines without stopping.

MR762 + G28 parts v. weight-2.jpg

Here she is with all her makeup on. I prefer the bipod for benchrest shooting, but I cannot offhand shoot with the bipod.
    caf82313 and LCSO264 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Desperately Needs Treatment
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Any AAR's for this battle rifle class you'll be taking? In other words, are they going to be teaching you any voodoo that requires a particular piece of kit. For example, the Follow Through/Buck Doyle requires offset and Horus/Xmas tree style reticle for their methodology and it's noted in the course description item list.

Otherwise, configure it in a way that makes the most sense to you or how you want to run the gun and take your lumps with it. Probably wouldn't hurt to have the other optic zero'd and the other parts on hand if you can to be able to swap out if you make some profound discovery.

Just food for thought

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	662.4 KB 
ID:	252054

Here is my current setup. After offhand shooting 2 - 20 round magazines, I have to put her down. Sometimes I can offhand shoot 3 - 20 round magazines without stopping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	918.3 KB 
ID:	252056

Here she is with all her makeup on. I prefer the bipod for benchrest shooting, but I cannot offhand shoot with the bipod.
    Looks nice, I've got a Real German G28 Ral Handguard I am going to sell if your interested PM me, wont work with my current over the barrel OSS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dms16, I am actually considering 2 battle rifle classes. Based on the photos and course description, the 5 day class in AZ recommends the polymer, Belgian cousin. They also recommend less than 11 lbs loaded. They urge the use of a low power variable optic or a scope with a red dot to reach out to 600 yards. Most 308 rifles cannot fit within these recommendations. The 1 day class in Texas appears to be open to any type of battle rifle including the old school ones with iron sights.

caf82313, which handguard are you referring to? This is a picture of my extended handguard. Aren't both of handguards German G28 Ral8000 handguards?

MR762 + G28 parts v. weight-3.jpg

I seem to have found the answer to my question browsing different websites that sell Ral8000 parts. The V3 handguard weighs 11.46 oz and each 5 segment HKey rail weighs 0.74 oz, for a total of 12.94 oz. My v2 patrol handguard with rail ladders weighs 17.68 oz. So, she could lose almost 5 oz but become a little uglier (but not as ugly as her Belgian cousin).

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Who are the training outfits?....rather who is "they"?

Based on the "5day" I'm guessing that's a Gunsite class. If so, did you actually read the course description?

"As with our carbine classes, an optic is not required, but can be a great aid in shooting to some students. Any red dot sight that can stand up to the recoil of the rifle is recommended."

So on and so forth. Gunsite would easily be one that would be fine with a "run what ya brung" type things. Frankly, that's part of the fun of training is figuring out work-arounds and ironing out what you actually need AFTER you critically evaluate the experience and apply it to your individual needs/preferences.
    Last edited by dms16; 02-14-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dms16, thanks for the advice. You have a great point about learning from these classes. That is the point of taking them. I will run with my current setup and bring a back-up optic (a red dot on a QD mount). If what I have is not ideal, I can make adjustments after the class.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

dms16, thanks for the advice. You have a great point about learning from these classes. That is the point of taking them. I will run with my current setup and bring a back-up optic (a red dot on a QD mount). If what I have is not ideal, I can make adjustments after the class.
    I think that is a wise policy. So long as nothing has changed, Gunsite won't let you struggle too hard.

And am I correct in that the TX 1-day would be a Vickers in March? If so, I would lean toward the Gunsite if you can stomach 5 days there. I will preface with this; Larry has done a lot for the community and his knowledge of small arms is outstanding and I cut my teeth on advanced instruction many years ago with Larry. In 2020, there are more "student-centered" courses shall we say for your hard-earned dollar.

Unrepentant HKHolic
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Cut the barrel to 13” or buy a 12/13” barrel if you can find one. I’d suggest cutting as there are spare 762 barrels out there and 12-13” 417 barrels out there are pricey.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn’t mean they're not after you!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links