HKPRO Forums banner

How Do I Prepare First Time Use of MR556A1?

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  anavrin0901 
#1 ·
I know the title of this post sounds stupid, but consider me stupid when it comes to AR's. The MR556A1 is my very first!

I am a long time owner of HK USP pistols so I know the drill and can disassemble and reassemble them blindfolded (fibbing a little of course), but consider me very apprehensive about what to do with the MR556A1. I watched a few cleaning and disassembly videos and they are very intimidating to a newly acquainted AR soul like me.

What do I need to do to prepare to use my MR556A1 for the very first time? I put on the Troy iron sights, which I'll get help with zeroing in on the range and even bought an Eotech 512 already, but I guess what I am asking for is DO I need to lube it for the first time use and what should I lube, etc?

When I am watching these breakdown and disassembly videos they break down such small pieces I couldn't imagine myself doing or wanting to do LOL (just scared I guess) so if anybody has a good first time lubing video of the MR556A1 I'm all eyes and ears.

THANKS IN ADVANCE! I hope to go shooting either tomorrow or next weekend with it.

#3 ·
No lube necessary? I read compared to other Ar's it is quite a pleasure to clean as it doesn't get too dirty, but that's hearsay to me so far. I would really know when I do have to clean it after first use what is really necessary to clean and what is just overkill (based on some of these videos I watched).

#8 ·
I need to look into this! As I don't have a decision either way....yet.

Insert fully loaded mag.....

Close bolt onto first round...……….

Click, click...….boom, until next mag.

Clean after burning...….

Ask me how I know. :biggrin:
How do you know? :)

Well then...Love it!!! Ha ha

Agree with these guys, shot mine right out of the case. Lots of rounds, maybe 400 the first time I shot it. Cleaned and oiled afterwards. This gun has been a rock star since day one. Has never failed to fire or extract the casing.
Thanks OH HK! Wish our paths would have crossed before. Lived in Cleveland, OH my entire life before moving down to Austin for a job 7 years ago. Can't wait to try mine out! Just ordered a MRS rail to hand off the bottom of the hand guard so I can mount a fore grip on it. Keeping the ones on the sides for any accessories I may add later.

#7 ·
Agree with these guys, shot mine right out of the case. Lots of rounds, maybe 400 the first time I shot it. Cleaned and oiled afterwards. This gun has been a rock star since day one. Has never failed to fire or extract the casing.

#10 ·
Of all the guns I own, this one actually makes me smile every time I shoot it. I tell my friends this thing is built like a brick wall, and about as heavy.
Dude! I love that guitar gun case setup :) Reminds me of a Robert Rodriguez Mariachi hero case!!!! I can't wait to shoot mine. Had it for weeks but been slowly equipping like for instance those HK MRS rails are IMPOSSIBLE to find without ordering online. My LGS can't even get them. And you talk to a lot of people and they foolishly think it's standard key mod.

#12 ·
As long as you dont shoot suppressed then the insides will probably get more dirt in it than carbon, as it does not poop where it eats kinda thing compared to DI. When it comes to rifles I am terrible by most peoples standards as I shoot most of mine dry and for some have only cleaned them when I first got them, but I know my equipment and when not to push that limit...most of the time. Enjoy the platform.

#18 ·
Nice bag. Mine came with the one in the photo down below. It also had the HK patch to attach. I'm not going to lie, but until I saw that HK patch I was a little disappointed I spent all this money and the bag had no markings on it. It's not a great looking bag either, but all the Michael Jackson pockets and zippers fit a lot of supplies, mags, etc. so I have that going for me.

Textile Jacket Jeans T-shirt Pattern

#22 ·
It's never a bad idea to run a bore snake through the barrel just to get rid of any anti-corrosion/preservative grease before sending one down the tube. Light oil/lube is one thing, but a thick grease could lead to pressure build up and stressing of microscopic cracks in the bore, etc. At least that's what I've read somewhere along the way... who knows how true it is or not. Again, it's just not a bad idea if you want to be on the safe side. Otherwise, a few drops of oil where there is metal on metal contact and you're good to go!

#25 ·
Like you, I had no experience with HK rifles when I got my MR762A1 but I had an HK P7 which has been awesome. It really is not hard to disassemble for cleaning. I would do it before going to the range so that after you shoot it and clean it you can see how clean it stays. Pull the bolt and charging handle and oil as indicated in a previous post. I also put a few of drops oil on the buffer weight and let it run into the tube. Pull the handguard and take a look at the piston just for grins. I have done the barrel break-in with some other guns I own, but not with the HK. Can't say if it would have helped, but it shoots groups under 1/2" at 100 yards with my OSS can on it. So i am not complaining. I have been debating on getting an MR556, I have built a couple of AR-15 since I got the MR762A1 and they are fun to build and shoot but as someone said earlier, nothing puts a grin on my face like my HK! Enjoy yours...

#27 ·
Thanks! I hope you get one!

The barrel is hammer forged so you shouldn't have any burrs in the bore per say . The blank did have to get a hole put in it before it went over the mandrel and into the hammer. I break in all my rifle barrels the same way . I'll shoot a round and clean it for 5 or 10 rounds . Does it make the barrel more accurate ? No. It polishes the bore and makes it easier to clean from then on out . After I hit the range , I just use a patch with a little #9 on it . I don't really clean the barrel until the accuracy starts to drop off . Btw , the most important thing to do is find what ammo your rifle likes . I've had great success with 55gr Norma .223 and GECO 55gr NATO out to 200 yds , 77gr OTM from 200 yds on out on my MR556's , I've got 3 .
Thanks I appreciate it. I did pick up some Winchester white box 5.56 so I’m ready to hit the range. I just need to wait for the HK MRS rail to show up this week so I can mount the UTG foregrip I have for it.

#26 ·
What do I need to do to prepare to use my MR556A1 for the very first time?
The barrel is hammer forged so you shouldn't have any burrs in the bore per say . The blank did have to get a hole put in it before it went over the mandrel and into the hammer. I break in all my rifle barrels the same way . I'll shoot a round and clean it for 5 or 10 rounds . Does it make the barrel more accurate ? No. It polishes the bore and makes it easier to clean from then on out . After I hit the range , I just use a patch with a little #9 on it . I don't really clean the barrel until the accuracy starts to drop off . Btw , the most important thing to do is find what ammo your rifle likes . I've had great success with 55gr Norma .223 and GECO 55gr NATO out to 200 yds , 77gr OTM from 200 yds on out on my MR556's , I've got 3 .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.