416 Barrel Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 416 Barrel Question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psifer View Post
    Please keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, a novice at best, on this subject and am just speculating at best. If it was a cut down 14.5" barrel then you would have a larger gas port on the barrel. It is hard to tell but it seems as though you have a non-vented gas block. If those were both true then I would imagine you would have experienced cyclic issues. I found this picture with a quick search that appears to have the same profile as your barrel but it is hard to tell. There is also the possibility that the threads were damaged and were fixed to explain why the threading was bare metal.

Attachment 261374
    Thanks for the reply - The AAC FH that was on there when I bought it was on there extremely good - maybe that had something to do with it not sure. I'll call HK.

Should I shoot as is or upgrade the barrel and gas block to be safe? Haven't fired the upper yet.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flynavy111 View Post
    Thanks for the input - Why would a swat department order 14.5" 416s then go through all the hassle of cutting them down?
    Doubt it but department armorers can be hit and miss. Just throwing out some possibilities. Obviously, I don't know what your gunsmith meant by "...the threads were bare metal". Could be "bare" as in the parkerizing was worn down...could have been damaged and recut...could be a cut-down barrel...could be nothing.

Please keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, a novice at best, on this subject and am just speculating at best. If it was a cut down 14.5" barrel then you would have a larger gas port on the barrel. It is hard to tell but it seems as though you have a non-vented gas block. If those were both true then I would imagine you would have experienced cyclic issues. I found this picture with a quick search that appears to have the same profile as your barrel but it is hard to tell. There is also the possibility that the threads were damaged and were fixed to explain why the threading was bare metal.
    I believe the 14.5 and non-vented 10.4 uppers share the same gas port size (1.4mm) but don't quote me. There were plenty of AE/AF date code barrels with that barrel profile. But it's also the same profile on the heavy 14.5 barrels.

Should I shoot as is or upgrade the barrel and gas block to be safe? Haven't fired the upper yet.
    You have a genuine HK barrel and 10" gas block. Should be fine. Honestly, I'm not impressed with your gunsmith. He should have taken a photo at a minimum. Realistically, he should have stopped at that point to ask how you wanted to proceed. Sounds like someone I'd steer clear of but just my two cents.

I'd shoot it with the factory buffer/spring and some factory 5.56 pressure ammo. If you have any issues, come back here and post them.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply - The AAC FH that was on there when I bought it was on there extremely good - maybe that had something to do with it not sure. I'll call HK.

If I were in your position, I would give a shot first before I spend more money.
    IsaacL and CaptRex like this.
    Hk 416 | Hk MP5SD(Build in Progress) | Hk SP5 | Hk VP9

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

FH is already on there and didn't have a photo of it without it but here is the end. Sling loops were sawed off by the previous owner.
    Attachment 260956
    Looking at this photo again... Does anyone else think those shims look suspect? One appears to be notched (Surefire shims aren't notched) and I don't see the beveled spacer. I've installed a lot of Surefire muzzle devices, that just looks off...

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

It does look like a genuine barrel. It looks as though the barrel is extended more past the gas block than most 10.4" barrels I have seen, almost as if it was cut down from a 14.5" barrel. I have AE upper with an AF barrel and it shares the same contour from the picture posted by nefariousarms.
    I'm not saying it was or wasn't cut down but I've owned 416's with all three profiles: heavy w/ groove, heavy w/o groove, and light w/ groove. Just because his barrel isn't grooved forward the gas block isn't enough evidence to say it was cut down. There are definitely AF barrels with both profiles in the wild.
    Last edited by IsaacL; 05-28-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacL View Post
    Looking at this photo again... Does anyone else think those shims look suspect? One appears to be notched (Surefire shims aren't notched) and I don't see the beveled spacer. I've installed a lot of Surefire muzzle devices, that just looks off...
    When I handed him the warcomp in its package he left the shims and the wrench and rockset as he said they have plenty (shims) in the back and didnt use the ones that came with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm not saying it was or wasn't cut down but I've owned 416's with all three profiles: heavy w/ groove, heavy w/o groove, and light w/ groove. Just because his barrel isn't grooved forward the gas block isn't enough evidence to say it was cut down. There are definitely AF barrels with both profiles in the wild.
    I'm going to email HK to see if they can take a look. You previously had 10.4" barrels that looked like mine forward the gas block?

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

When I handed him the warcomp in its package he left the shims and the wrench and rockset as he said they have plenty (shims) in the back and didnt use the ones that came with it.
    Surefire includes the beveled spacer in their shim pack to ensure the muzzle device properly squares up with the shoulder of the barrel. This is particularly important if you intend on shooting suppressed. Concentricity issues can be compounded by the fact that not all shims are created equally. I could understand substituting if they were missing or previously mounted but "we have plenty of shims in the back" is up there with some of the dumbest things I've ever heard. That's a huge red flag.

Surefire SOCOM Suppressor Adapter Installation Instructions

I'm going to email HK to see if they can take a look. You previously had 10.4" barrels that looked like mine forward the gas block?
    I had an early AF date code upper several years ago. I just can't find the pictures on my phone. I have them saved to a hard drive but everything's packed away right now. Here's an upper Eric Prevatte (Black_Rifle) had listed a few years ago. My guess is HK used that profile initially because it shared the same CNC code as the 14.5 profile. Probably reduced retooling downtime and complexity but that's just a guess on my part. Curious to hear what HK says.

Last edited by IsaacL; 05-28-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Surefire includes the beveled spacer in their shim pack to ensure the muzzle device properly squares up with the shoulder of the barrel. This is particularly important if you intend on shooting suppressed. Concentricity issues can be compounded by the fact that not all shims are created equally. I could understand substituting if they were missing or previously mounted but "we have plenty of shims in the back" is up there with some of the dumbest things I've ever heard. That's a huge red flag.

Surefire SOCOM Suppressor Adapter Installation Instructions

I had an early AF date code upper several years ago. I just can't find the pictures on my phone. I have them saved to a hard drive but everything's packed away right now. Here's an upper Eric Prevatte (Black_Rifle) had listed a few years ago. My guess is HK used that profile initially because it shared the same CNC code as the 14.5 profile. Probably reduced retooling downtime and complexity but that's just a guess on my part. Curious to hear what HK says.

Thanks man - Should I have the Warcomp remounted then by someone else?
    IsaacL likes this.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Thanks man - Should I have the Warcomp remounted then by someone else?
    That depends. Do you plan on shooting suppressed? If not, I'd leave it unless you're comfortable with DIY or know someone else who would do it for free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links