416 Barrel Question
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 416 Barrel Question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default 416 Barrel Question

Hi Guys - New to the forum and to the HK world. Recently picked up a 416 upper and wanted to change the FH on it to a SF 3prong but it was on there really good.

Is there any way to know for sure if the barrel was cut down from a longer barrel (markings etc) or is it bare metal under the muzzle device for sure?

Thank you!
    Last edited by flynavy111; 06-12-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flynavy111 View Post
    Hi Guys - New to the forum and to the HK world. Recently picked up a 416 upper and wanted to change the FH on it to a SF 3prong but it was on there really good. Took it into my local gunsmith who got it off with quite a bit of work but told me that he thought the barrel had been cut down because the threads were bare metal.

Is there any way to know for sure if the barrel was cut down from a longer barrel (markings etc) or is it bare metal under the muzzle device for sure?

Thank you!
    HK would not have built it that way
    if you were to attach a picture I could tell you if it was my work

Supporting Vendor
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

that is not a standard HK contour
    all of HK's 10.4" barrels that I am aware of and all of my work for the last couple of years has a groove in front of the gasblock that looks like this

4. Remove Advertisements
    HKPro.com
    Advertisements

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Could you remove the rail and take some photos of the barrel and any markings? I'm guessing it's an AE or AF date code barrel by the profile at the crown.
    On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nefariousarms View Post
    that is not a standard HK contour
    all of HK's 10.4" barrels that I am aware of and all of my work for the last couple of years has a groove in front of the gasblock that looks like this
    Some of the very old barrels had a straight profile behind the crown. All the newer ones are grooved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacL View Post
    Some of the very old barrels had a straight profile behind the crown. All the newer ones are grooved.
    Hey bud - did you see the photos I posted? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Very Senior Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Looks like a genuine HK barrel.

It's possible that it's a factory 10.4 barrel and someone just removed the finish or recut the threading. Or it may have been cut down from 14.5 barrel. Without seeing the crown, threads, gauging the gas port, etc. that's the best I can offer.

You could trying calling HK customer service with the serial and ask them how the original rifle was shipped.
    Last edited by IsaacL; 05-28-2020 at 01:45 PM.

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It does look like a genuine barrel. It looks as though the barrel is extended more past the gas block than most 10.4" barrels I have seen, almost as if it was cut down from a 14.5" barrel. I have AE upper with an AF barrel and it shares the same contour from the picture posted by nefariousarms.

416 Barrel Question-17e759f96b5564aca9a729369633394c.png
    Last edited by Psifer; 05-28-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    Hk 416 | Hk MP5SD(Build in Progress) | Hk SP5 | Hk VP9

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psifer View Post
    It does look like a genuine barrel. It looks as though the barrel is extended more past the gas block than most 10.4" barrels I have seen, almost as if it was cut down from a 14.5" barrel. I have AE upper with an AF barrel and it shares the same contour from the picture posted by nefariousarms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17e759f96b5564aca9a729369633394c.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	488.7 KB 
ID:	261364
    Thanks for the input - Why would a swat department order 14.5" 416s then go through all the hassle of cutting them down?

If it was done correctly is it going to really matter?

I imagine trying to find a genuine newer HK 10.4" barrel is going to be hard to come by with a newer gas block? Should I even care lol?

HKPRO PREMIUM PARTNER
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flynavy111 View Post
    Thanks for the input - Why would a swat department order 14.5" 416s then go through all the hassle of cutting them down?

If it was done correctly is it going to really matter?

I imagine trying to find a genuine newer HK 10.4" barrel is going to be hard to come by with a newer gas block? Should I even care lol?
    Please keep in mind that I am by no means an expert, a novice at best, on this subject and am just speculating at best. If it was a cut down 14.5" barrel then you would have a larger gas port on the barrel. It is hard to tell but it seems as though you have a non-vented gas block. If those were both true then I would imagine you would have experienced cyclic issues. I found this picture with a quick search that appears to have the same profile as your barrel but it is hard to tell. There is also the possibility that the threads were damaged and were fixed to explain why the threading was bare metal.

416 Barrel Question-11232668_03_hk_416_upper_matching_serial_640.jpg
    Last edited by Psifer; 05-28-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    IsaacL likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links